What an absolute joke | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What an absolute joke

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Joining the Big East was a good move. Once it became apparent we could put together a better football schedule as an Indy it became a great move. When I saw we are getting a $1,000,000 payday game from poor old UCF, who will be making less than us, it became a massive slam dunk.

THIS!

Independence is harder. But the AAC contract was horrible. More specifically, it was horrible to UConn by paying us peanuts and burying our teams behind a pay wall.

So long as we can keep making schedules for football that are comparable to now in terms of attractive moments, it's a no brainer...

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Just support the team and get what enjoyment you can out of it. I was at UConn in the early/mid 1980’s when playing FB at this level wasn’t even a dream.

Things will get better. Expect a lot of 3-9 or 7-5 seasons and have fun.

Reaction Score
Want proof? Look at SMU. For the past 5 or 6 years, they have had strong recruiting classes. Look at them now? You are not building a program in 2 years. You say year 3? I do not. Because year one started well after the recruiting season was done.

Oh horse sh it. A crappy coach can't build anything in TEN years when he can't recruit, can't call the right plays on 1st and goal, can't teach players how to tackle, and doesn't have a clue on who to start at QB at the start of the season, when the right guy is standing next to him wearing a head set. With some luck a great coach can do it in 2 or 3 years, look at UCF going 0-12 to 13-0 in two years. The sooner Edsall is fired after Dec 2nd the better the team will be for it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Oh horse sh it. A crappy coach can't build anything in TEN years when he can't call the right plays on 1st and goal, can't teach players how to tackle, and doesn't have a clue on who to start at QB at the start of the season, when the right guy is standing next to him wearing a head set. With some luck a great coach can do it in 2 or 3 years, look at UCF going 0-12 to 13-0 in two years. The sooner Edsall is fired after Dec 2nd the better the team will be for it.

I definitely think there is a huge talent issue but without a doubt the coaching is atrocious. Looking forward to the end of the Edsall era.

Reaction Score
THIS!

Independence is harder. But the AAC contract was horrible. More specifically, it was horrible to UConn by paying us peanuts and burying our teams behind a pay wall.

So long as we can keep making schedules for football that are comparable to now in terms of attractive moments, it's a no brainer...
I don't understand how the other schools weren't outraged at being forced behind a paywall to a subscription most of America probably doesn't want. On top of being force to pay for production costs of each game. How is anyone ok with that?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I don't understand how the other schools weren't outraged at being forced behind a paywall to a subscription most of America probably doesn't want. On top of being force to pay for production costs of each game. How is anyone ok with that?

Because East Carolina excels at nothing. Because Tulane excels at nothing. And Tulsa. And USF. Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

You have to understand that for the majority of these teams, this conference has been a great opportunity. They've never had it so good. We're the only school in this conference who knows when someone tries to feed us Alpo dog food and calls it filet mignon...

Reaction Score
Because East Carolina excels at nothing. Because Tulane excels at nothing. And Tulsa. And USF. Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

You have to understand that for the majority of these teams, this conference has been a great opportunity. They've never had it so good. We're the only school in this conference who knows when someone tries to feed us Alpo dog food and calls it filet mignon...
But Cincinnati and USF were with us in the Big East. They had a taste of the big time. Cincinnati is still as good as they were in the Big East. I do get what you're saying that a lot of these schools the AAC was and is an upgrade from where they came from, but they're being forced into a service that seems no one really wants. The question has to come up of "what if espn+ fails? What happens to all the schools forced onto it?"

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
But Cincinnati and USF were with us in the Big East. They had a taste of the big time. Cincinnati is still as good as they were in the Big East. I do get what you're saying that a lot of these schools the AAC was and is an upgrade from where they came from, but they're being forced into a service that seems no one really wants. The question has to come up of "what if espn+ fails? What happens to all the schools forced onto it?"

Cincy is the only other one that truly excels at anything and is willing to pay for it. USF still operates in a Conference USA mentality.

But Cincy and UCONN weren't enough to change the tv contract. But unlike Cincy, we had another choice we could make. A risky choice to be sure, but one that I think will pay off in the end...

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Cincy is the only other one that truly excels at anything and is willing to pay for it. USF still operates in a Conference USA mentality.

But Cincy and UCONN weren't enough to change the tv contract. But unlike Cincy, we had another choice we could make. A risky choice to be sure, but one that I think will pay off in the end...
Yeah. We need to leave a hoop league where we go 6-12 because they’e inferior. And it’s because our FB coach recruits so well we haven’t beaten a conference foe in 3 years. Real risky.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Yeah. We need to leave a hoop league where we go 6-12 because they’e inferior. And it’s because our FB coach recruits so well we haven’t beaten a conference foe in 3 years. Real risky.

Yeah, they are inferior. And it hurt recruiting. And we spend millions more than any of our conference mates with our athletic budget to play against teams that our fans didn't care about. And we're not putting our juggernaut women's bball program on a media that the majority of our women's fanbase doesn't use.

So we're leaving to play teams that men's bball cares about, and we are going to have a stronger focus in dominating northeast eyeballs, and we're going to hope that the success of the rest of our programs is going to translate to independent football success. Because at the end of the day, who gives a damn about Tulsa and Tulane...

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I believe the people in power have always wanted UConn FB to succeed. They just haven’t as competent as the folks at Cincinnati, SMU, Memphis, UCF, etc.

Reaction Score
People who think the athletic department doesn't care about football are clueless.

Sure basketball is king and always will be. But they want this program to do well and are trying.

They do? What tells you that? By going independent? By adhering to ridiculous admission standards for the program? By having a non-competitive coaching salary pool?

They can say they care all they want. Actions speak louder than words. And inaction has been their action thus far.

Care about football. That’s a good one.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The AAC contract sucked for UConn and again a lot of content was going to be on ESPN+ which may be the future but it isn't now. You need eyes on you and that happens on the ESPN not the plus which they wanted most of UConn sports including Women's basketball

Reaction Score
They do? What tells you that? By going independent? By adhering to ridiculous admission standards for the program? By having a non-competitive coaching salary pool?

They can say they care all they want. Actions speak louder than words. And inaction has been their action thus far.

Care about football. That’s a good one.
Trust me they care about football. I’ve talked with people inside the athletic department.

Reaction Score
Trust me they care about football. I’ve talked with people inside the athletic department.

If they care about football, why are they letting this horror show continue? What do they expect fans to do with this team losing 30+ every game? What sane fan will continue to support this crap?

Moving to the BE and going indy is the right move, but the guy in charge of the team needs to go. We need to hire right for once.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If they care about football, why are they letting this horror show continue? What do they expect fans to do with this team losing 30+ every game? What sane fan will continue to support this crap?

Moving to the BE and going indy is the right move, but the game in charge of the team needs to go. We need to hire right for once.
Problem isn't the AD. It's the University administration doesn't allow academic exceptions in order to recruit players that may not get passed he admission requirements and does not approve paying assistants so we can actually get and retain talent in the coaching staff

Reaction Score
Problem isn't the AD. It's the University administration doesn't allow academic exceptions in order to recruit players that may not get passed he admission requirements and does not approve paying assistants so we can actually get and retain talent in the coaching staff

You know there are FCS programs much better than what we got now. There are number of strong academic schools with solid football programs. I don't live far from Stanford, and they turned their crap show around once they hired the right coach. Why are we making the same excuse year after year?

Reaction Score
You know there are FCS programs much better than what we got now. There are number of strong academic schools with solid football programs. I don't live far from Stanford, and they turned their crap show around once they hired the right coach. Why are we making the same excuse year after year?
Because we are Connecticut where everyone in the state complains about how much state employees make.

Reaction Score
Because in Connecticut everyone complains about how much state employees make.
True. In football-centric states (SEC, B1G, B12) few get upset when State U pays multi-millions for next hot coach and his assistants. Charlie Strong makes $5M at USF, Jeff Brohm $6.6M at Purdue, Joe Moorhead makes $3.05M at MSU. Let’s say Moorhead would like to be back in the northeast. Can you ever imagine, with CT‘s current fiscal status, UConn making a splash and shelling out $MM to grab him as our next HC?

Reaction Score
People who think the athletic department doesn't care about football are clueless.

Sure basketball is king and always will be. But they want this program to do well and are trying.

You misspelled "more intelligent". I highlighted the mistake for you.

Reaction Score

actions speak louder than words. When edsall is fired and they announce a significant increase in coaching salary pool they will gain a little credibility.

Reaction Score
I claim no inside information and have not spoken with anyone in Storrs. Just based on public information one is hard pressed to come to any conclusion other than the possible sacrifice of FB was an acceptable risk to protect M&WBB.

Reaction Score
actions speak louder than words. When edsall is fired and they announce a significant increase in coaching salary pool they will gain a little credibility.

That ain't happening

We pay a lot - even with Randy's discount. And WE (UCONN) was the top in AD Expenditures in G5. We pay far more than UMASS Walt Bell and have a significant gap over the MAC. We will still get good coaches to accept offers. We have a GREAT University with GREAT facilities. It will take a little patience ...which you all don't have.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom