What a day! | Page 4 | The Boneyard

What a day!

Reaction Score
The vitriol was quite vicious and they both agreed they hope Tara continues to coach so Geno can never attain the record. Having an entirely different view of Uconn and Coach Geno it's surprising to hear this kind of negativity. Of course there was no foundation that they shared in their 20-minute diatribe so ultimately I wondered if it was just a matter of jealousy and or an inferiority complex.
I don't have a dog in this hunt as a Vanderbilt fan, except that if it keeps Geno from retiring then I hope Tara can coach to age 110.

Reaction Score
This conversation about Dawn's tweets is worse than my previous HOA meeting where we discussed making changes to the acceptable grass height.

Leaving See Ya GIF by MOODMAN

Reaction Score
I am specifically saying the head coach at the elite programs since I am specifically speaking about Dawn Staley, the head coach whom we've been discussing this entire time. I don't have the time or tech savy to track every individual and their X accounts from every elite program to know whether those individuals have posted on recruits. I just know that Dawn is the only one of the head coaches either out of obliviousness to how she comes across or a little bit of hubris goes out and lets people know that she's landed a recruit before an announcement has been made by the actual recruit.

The head coaches I have in mind that do not do what Dawn does are ( i may be missing some so forgive me if I do):

1. Tara at Stanford
2. Vick at Texas
3. K Harper at Tennessee
4. Close at UCLA
5. Kim at Baylor
6. Geno at Uconn
7. Muffet when she was at ND
8. McGuff at Ohio State
9. Lisa Bluder at Iowa
10. Wes Moore at NC State
11. Kara Lawson at Duke
You can remove Kellie Harper at Tennessee from that list because she does it too.

Reaction Score
Would love to see LSU and UCONN in a 2 and 3 matchup.
Me, too, especially after LSU loses a few more players to injury. Sure, let's match them up minus Reese FJ and Rosario. That'd be a game to see.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I was sitting in front of two Stanford fans during the pac-12 final and they spent considerable time in their praise of Tara which is understandable and some really demeaning comments about Geno.

The vitriol was quite vicious and they both agreed they hope Tara continues to coach so Geno can never attain the record. Having an entirely different view of Uconn and Coach Geno it's surprising to hear this kind of negativity. Of course there was no foundation that they shared in their 20-minute diatribe so ultimately I wondered if it was just a matter of jealousy and or an inferiority complex.

One of the two Cards fans claimec that 30 years ago Tara played pick up ball with some of the faculty and he played against her. He said that she was an extremely dirty player. LOL
I’m not aware of any issues between the coaches. They aren’t best buddies but I always thought they had a mutually respectful relationship. I’ve never heard the pick-up game story but who knows? Geno is fairly mellow these days but could be spicy in his youth.

There was an issue with UConn fans toward Tara, though. In the 1996 Olympics, when Tara was head coach, USA Basketball forced Rebecca Lobo, who is revered by UConn fans, onto Tara’s Olympic team apparently against Tara’s wishes. Rebecca saw only a few minutes in the games, usually mop up minutes, even in the exhibition game vs UConn in Connecticut when the crowd was chanting Becca’s name. Husky fans were incensed and 30 years later you’ll still hear fans with a grudge against Tara for the “slight”. We had some rip-roaring arguments with Stanford fans on the Boneyard back then, there may have been booing when the teams played. Maybe there’s some holdover, I dunno

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I’m not aware of any issues between the coaches. They aren’t best buddies but I always thought they had a mutually respectful relationship. I’ve never heard the pick-up game story but who knows? Geno is fairly mellow these days but could be spicy in his youth.

There was an issue with UConn fans toward Tara, though. In the 1996 Olympics, when Tara was head coach, USA Basketball forced Rebecca Lobo, who is revered by UConn fans, onto Tara’s Olympic team apparently against Tara’s wishes. Rebecca saw only a few minutes in the games, usually mop up minutes, even in the exhibition game vs UConn when the crowd was chanting Becca’s name. Husky fans were incensed and 30 years later you’ll still hear fans with a grudge against Tara for the “slight”. We had some rip-roaring arguments with Stanford fans on the Boneyard back then, there may have been booing when the teams played. Maybe there’s some holdover, I dunno
There unfortunately does seem to be some residual bitterness from many of our "old-timer" fans towards Geno. I lived in CT at the exact same time I started becoming a big Stanford WBB fan (I only followed our men's team when I was on campus). As a result, I developed my Stanford fandom and Geno appreciation simultaneously, and maybe for that reason I'm not seeing the basis for the grudge holding. And I'm sure some of it is envy after 11 championships.

For me personally, I always want to see Good People winning in the end, and it's really, really hard to think of better people than Lobo, Bird, Maya, Stewie, Pheesa, Bueckers and Fudd. So even if I'm always going to root for Stanford over UConn, I'm never going to be unhappy seeing class acts like the aforementioned take home championships. (and contrast that to, ahem, this weekend's WWE showcase...)

Reaction Score
I was sitting in front of two Stanford fans during the pac-12 final and they spent considerable time in their praise of Tara which is understandable and some really demeaning comments about Geno.

One of the two Cards fans claimec that 30 years ago Tara played pick up ball with some of the faculty and he played against her. He said that she was an extremely dirty player. LOL
Not surprised at all. While at the final four a few years ago in Minneapolis, I was sitting in the poolside whirlpool with a handful of women who were big time Stanford and Tara fans. One was a former US Olympian in Handball from the early 80's and another was a longtime high school PE teacher and coach from Idaho. Everyone was there for the final four, and big time WCBB fans. Well. the absolute hate and despise for Geno was overwhelming and caught me totally off guard. The more we spoke, the more I realized that they were more "men haters" thank a specific Geno hater. I think your experience may also be that case.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Let's be honest, having bitter rivals is what makes sports fun and it drives attendance and TV viewership. I hate the color orange simply because it's Clemson's primary color and I wouldn't be caught dead wearing it. I've seen a lot of bitterness from UCONN fans towards Tennessee and ND, Gamecock fans towards various teams in the SEC and Clemson and the same from other schools.

Last edited:

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score

There was an issue with UConn fans toward Tara, though. In the 1996 Olympics, when Tara was head coach, USA Basketball forced Rebecca Lobo, who is revered by UConn fans, onto Tara’s Olympic team apparently against Tara’s wishes. Rebecca saw only a few minutes in the games, usually mop up minutes, even in the exhibition game vs UConn in Connecticut when the crowd was chanting Becca’s name. Husky fans were incensed and 30 years later you’ll still hear fans with a grudge against Tara for the “slight”. We had some rip-roaring arguments with Stanford fans on the Boneyard back then, there may have been booing when the teams played. Maybe there’s some holdover, I dunno
That’s not speaking for many UConn fans, whose beef with VanDerveer stems from her saying she had six Sales before we beat them by 27 points in the FF, and then predicted Tennessee would beat us in the final after we just thrashed them. Her disdain was so great she actually disparaged her own team if you follow the logic. Mind you this occurred before the Olympics.

Though unlike McGraw she eventually cooled off in her disdain.

Reaction Score

As I’ve said in other threads I’ve been a Big East fan as long as I can remember and was becoming a UConn fan before moving to California. The first women’s college basketball game I saw in person was actually UConn vs. Western Kentucky in Maples in November 1996. I had courtside seats under the basket near UConn’s bench in San Jose November 1998 and when I spilled my soda, a UConn team manager was nice enough to toss a towel over to me.

As a New Yorker I have tons of respect for what Geno has done at UConn, though at times he has annoyed me. But I get along much better with people like Geno than people who aren’t as up front with what is on their mind.

Geno and Tara both had their sharp elbows 20-30 years ago, but have mellowed out a lot over the years. Fanatics need to mellow out and respect both coaches for what they have accomplished for women’s sports, and stop dwelling on past slights, real and imagined, between coaches and teams.

I don’t believe it, but I’m sure there are Stanford fanatics who believe Nneka Ogwumike not making the Tokyo Olympic Team was revenge for Tara’s treatment of Rebecca Lobo in 1996. Let’s all grow up and enjoy whatever years these two coaching giants have left coaching.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've never seen any of those players do anything close to what Cardoso did today.

And it's been even longer -- 3 years -- since Cardoso arrived in Columbia. Who does her behavior reflect on?
Lol….so you missed the first half when Reese tried to take her head off with an intentional elbow. Probably need to watch some more wbb.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom