What a day! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What a day!

Reaction Score
I can see how the birdie thing could rub some people the wrong way (it can be seen as a tad bit braggadocious) . But coaches signaling out to their fan bases regarding the acquisition of big-time recruits is picking up steam. For instance, Coach Mox (UVA) tweets out "Wahoowa!" every time Virginia lands a recruit. Lindsay Gottlieb (the other USC) tweets out "Fight On!".
Let’s be serious I’m talking about the great programs and great coaches in America. When you’ve reached the peak and stayed there for a bit act like you’ve been there. Smaller programs have to claw and fight like heck to stay relevant and even more so now with NIL. But for me the majority of great programs do not flaunt their recruiting the direct way that Dawn does.

Like I said everyone is entitled to how they conduct themselves. I just don’t appreciate the way Dawn does it. It’s like if on a street of medium houses, one household strikes it rich, tears down the house builds a McMansion and then broadcasts to the rest of the street like Dave chapelle “I’m rich &$ch”.

Reaction Score
Let’s be serious I’m talking about the great programs and great coaches in America. When you’ve reached the peak and stayed there for a bit act like you’ve been there. Smaller programs have to claw and fight like heck to stay relevant and even more so now with NIL. But for me the majority of great programs do not flaunt their recruiting the direct way that Dawn does.

Like I said everyone is entitled to how they conduct themselves. I just don’t appreciate the way Dawn does it. It’s like if on a street of medium houses, one household strikes it rich, tears down the house builds a McMansion and then broadcasts to the rest of the street like Dave chapelle “I’m rich &$ch”.
The birdie tweets are for the fans. We enjoy the suspense and it generates fun conversations. It isn't gloating. How exactly did you pivot from yesterday's fight to Dawn's tweets? I'm at a loss here.

Reaction Score
See this why I can take the opinion seriously. You are showing your true colors of disliking her something as trivial as getting her fans excited about a new recruit. It's fine that you don't like her or the program but don't try to make it seem like she's not genuinely sorry about the whole ordeal.

Dawn has always been big about growing the game and doing it the right way. She imo tried to keep the ordeal strictly about basketball and was trying to limit the dangerous narratives that will likely surround the players around this issue. The same dangerous narratives that called Angel every name in the book after last year's championship game. She knows that WBB is gaining viewership and she doesn't want this potential breakthrough of the sport be about something it's not.

If she was only looking out for her own team interests as you state I highly doubt she would have gave props to Flau'jae for apologizing. She could have kept that information to herself and let the media run wild even more of her pushing players first and the whole ordeal with her

Reaction Score
See this why I can take the opinion seriously. You are showing your true colors of disliking her something as trivial as getting her fans excited about a new recruit. It's fine that you don't like her or the program but don't try to make it seem like she's not genuinely sorry about the whole ordeal.

Dawn has always been big about growing the game and doing it the right way. She imo tried to keep the ordeal strictly about basketball and was trying to limit the dangerous narratives that will likely surround the players around this issue. The same dangerous narratives that called Angel every name in the book after last year's championship game. She knows that WBB is gaining viewership and she doesn't want this potential breakthrough of the sport be about something it's not.

If she was only looking out for her own team interests as you state I highly doubt she would have gave props to Flau'jae for apologizing. She could have kept that information to herself and let the media run wild even more of her pushing players first and the whole ordeal with her brother.
Not a dangerous narrative just some nobody on a wbb forum stating an opinion. Isn’t this what this place about? I never discussed the angel reese topic because I was indifferent to it just like Caitlyn Clark was. If she didn’t have a problem then why should I. I’m not for it but it if the person she directed it to has no issues I don’t either.

As for Dawns tweets, yes it’s for the fans probably but don’t for one second think she doesn’t know that many on the wbb world will see it. Like I said It’s my opinion that you have to know that your actions will have opinions beyond your fan base. And outside of the fanbase I’m sure there are others like me that take her tweets to be a bit showboating and a little of rubbing it in others faces.

Reaction Score
I think it’s going to be up to the referees and the league to clean this up. I wasn’t impressed by either coach’s response where out of one side of their mouths they apologized, but out of the other there was a “we try, but girls will be girls” attitude.

Reaction Score
And I have yet to see even the dastardly Angel Reese charge toward a player during a dead ball and forcefully shove her to the ground. Sorry not buying any of this narrative as somehow mitigating what Cardoso did.
Cmon. South Carolina has not been in an incident the entire year, but LSU has had numerous dust ups this year, Texas A&M comes to mind, and Auburn and the ongoing "were the baddest b%$^%s rhetoric all year has been their calling card and anyone that has watched the game knows it. If you do not care for South Carolina, it is because the win. They have no player that has been branded a trash talker or dirty, but they will not let themselves get abused by anyone and that is the slight difference between this team and last years. Dawn was very respectful to the game. Just say you don t like her but stop trying to create a narrative that is just not there.

Reaction Score

If this is the case, then it should be easy to name some of them. Who are these great programs that do not tweet out to their fans when they've landed recruits, especially elite ones?

Reaction Score
Cmon. South Carolina has not been in an incident the entire year, but LSU has had numerous dust ups this year, Texas A&M comes to mind, and Auburn and the ongoing "were the baddest b%$^%s rhetoric all year has been their calling card and anyone that has watched the game knows it. If you do not care for South Carolina, it is because the win. They have no player that has been branded a trash talker or dirty, but they will not let themselves get abused by anyone and that is the slight difference between this team and last years. Dawn was very respectful to the game. Just say you don t like her but stop trying to create a narrative that is just not there.
South Carolina had dust ups with UNC and Duke this year at least. Not sure if there were any others this year but it’s definitely not the first.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
100 percent. That should never happen. IMHO, that AD just made it marginally harder to recruit her replacement, because I'd think twice about the evident (lack of) empathy / human touch of my prospective boss...
Firing Coach Ard and then expecting her to hold a post-game presser - I’m speechless

Reaction Score
But for a person that gets the crap beat out of her weekly, a shove of another player, who taunts at every turn, and who just threw an elbow at Cardosa’s teammate…..a shove is candy land type stuff. Get a grip people.
Knocking a much smaller player to the ground is hardly "candy land type stuff".

Edwards and Bueckers get beat up constantly. Neither of them has resorted to what Cardoso did.

Reaction Score
If this is the case, then it should be easy to name some of them. Who are these great programs that do not tweet out to their fans when they've landed recruits, especially elite ones?
I am specifically saying the head coach at the elite programs since I am specifically speaking about Dawn Staley, the head coach whom we've been discussing this entire time. I don't have the time or tech savy to track every individual and their X accounts from every elite program to know whether those individuals have posted on recruits. I just know that Dawn is the only one of the head coaches either out of obliviousness to how she comes across or a little bit of hubris goes out and lets people know that she's landed a recruit before an announcement has been made by the actual recruit.

The head coaches I have in mind that do not do what Dawn does are ( i may be missing some so forgive me if I do):

1. Tara at Stanford
2. Vick at Texas
3. K Harper at Tennessee
4. Close at UCLA
5. Kim at Baylor
6. Geno at Uconn
7. Muffet when she was at ND
8. McGuff at Ohio State
9. Lisa Bluder at Iowa
10. Wes Moore at NC State
11. Kara Lawson at Duke

Reaction Score
The icing on the cake happened to the Utah State coach. This is awful

Ikr

I was at the game and it was a complete mismatch as Boise State dominated.

I suspect this decision was baked in. As I watched the game I was thinking of first round games at the big dance during Brianna's 4 years. This was the Gap in talent between the broncos and the Aggies.

I also couldn't help but think of my Sun Devils and the similar gap in talent and program support. I'm not sure how much support Utah state provides their program but with a four-year record a failure I suspect this is not all on the coach.

Just like in Tempe Coach Adair I think is a fine mid major coach but there is zero athletic department support and she's not in a position to recruit the type of athletes necessary to compete in the Big 12. While it's unfortunate the Aggies coach was fired immediately after the final game I wish ASU had taken the same approach. I think ultimately it's better for the program and also the coach.

Reaction Score
I figured the original poster was referencing UConn. But, outside of them and maybe Stanford, who else?
I was sitting in front of two Stanford fans during the pac-12 final and they spent considerable time in their praise of Tara which is understandable and some really demeaning comments about Geno.

The vitriol was quite vicious and they both agreed they hope Tara continues to coach so Geno can never attain the record. Having an entirely different view of Uconn and Coach Geno it's surprising to hear this kind of negativity. Of course there was no foundation that they shared in their 20-minute diatribe so ultimately I wondered if it was just a matter of jealousy and or an inferiority complex.

One of the two Cards fans claimec that 30 years ago Tara played pick up ball with some of the faculty and he played against her. He said that she was an extremely dirty player. LOL

Reaction Score
I am specifically saying the head coach at the elite programs since I am specifically speaking about Dawn Staley, the head coach whom we've been discussing this entire time. I don't have the time or tech savy to track every individual and their X accounts from every elite program to know whether those individuals have posted on recruits. I just know that Dawn is the only one of the head coaches either out of obliviousness to how she comes across or a little bit of hubris goes out and lets people know that she's landed a recruit before an announcement has been made by the actual recruit.

The head coaches I have in mind that do not do what Dawn does are ( i may be missing some so forgive me if I do):

1. Tara at Stanford
2. Vick at Texas
3. K Harper at Tennessee
4. Close at UCLA
5. Kim at Baylor
6. Geno at Uconn
7. Muffet when she was at ND
8. McGuff at Ohio State
9. Lisa Bluder at Iowa
10. Wes Moore at NC State
11. Kara Lawson at Duke
So, in other words, Geno, Tara, and Vic--because those other examples are either dated (coaches don't even coach at those institutions anymore) or aren't coaches at elite programs (Tennessee, UCLA, Duke, Ohio State, and Iowa would not be considered elite).

Reaction Score

If you don't follow Dawn, then you won't see the tweets. Problem solved.

Reaction Score
Would love to see LSU and UCONN in a 2 and 3 matchup.
As would I. Should be fun! Would be interesting to see/hear the post-game comments from coaches and fans of both teams.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom