What a crappy job by ESPN at the end of the game. | The Boneyard

What a crappy job by ESPN at the end of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
2.2 seconds left, a wide open Samuel racing to midcourt, ball thrown into that area, and the camera cuts away to..... ?? What?

What happened?

2.2 seconds is plenty of time to score if you pick up the play at halfcourt.

Reaction Score
Ollie burning through that last timeout right before the 3 pointer didn't help either.

Reaction Score
Not fair to criticize KO on the ending because Boat got rolled and Hamilton was blocked getting over at the inbound. This kind of crap happens, sometimes to our benefit. No sense looking for a scapegoat.

Reaction Score
Did anyone see if Texas' winning shot was on the line or not? Was it reviwed, which I thought is automatic in cases like that. Brimah, who had a clear view unlike the ref thought so; but, the refs appeared to run right off the court. Had the sense that ESPN want to move to the Kentucky game as quick as possible, UConn be damned as usual.

Also, Boat seemed to get hurt on a moving pick. Should that have been a foul?

Reaction Score
Yeah but can anyone elaborate on why TSam did't catch the ball then dribble once to shoot it? He had 1.9 when it hit his hand and instead of catching it looked like he tried to start the dribble off the pass?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yeah but can anyone elaborate on why TSam did't catch the ball then dribble once to shoot it? He had 1.9 when it hit his hand and instead of catching it looked like he tried to start the dribble off the pass?

At the end of the game? Looked like pass was wild and he merely deflected it. I listened to the radio post game and Joe's call wasn't exactly descriptive but it seemed to confirm what little we saw.

Reaction Score
At the end of the game? Looked like pass was wild and he merely deflected it. I listened to the radio post game and Joe's call wasn't exactly descriptive but it seemed to confirm what little we saw.
Yea Samuel dropped it.

Reaction Score
I think there was a very brief review of the shot but if they only had the horrible view we did there was no way to overturn it. Reminds me if the GRown game two years ago when we got beat by a "3" when their guy had have his foot on the line

Reaction Score

Didn't look wild at all looked like it was right to him and instead of catching it he tried to dribble it off the pass and lost it. Not a biggie but nothing wrong with trying to make a 40 footer!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Didn't look wild at all looked like it was right to him and instead of catching it he tried to dribble it off the pass and lost it. Not a biggie but nothing wrong with trying to make a 40 footer!

Well I guess I'd like to see it again because it looked wild to me and I'm pretty sure that Joe said the same thing but it was a few hours ago and being old the memory goes...

Reaction Score
I was at the game too. It was slightly to Samuel's left hand toward mid court. Wasn't the best pass but TS should have caught it. The pass sort of hit his hand and he made very little effort to go after it. 2.2 seconds was plenty of time when he was catching the ball around mid court. He would have had time for 2 long dribbles and a shot

Reaction Score
If you're insinuating that ESPN told the refs to end the game quickly so they could cut to the next game, just stop.

Was the 3 point shot by Texas reviewed? The shooter's feet were very close from what I could see on my 50" HD TV. Should be automatic in this stituation. If it was not reviewed, which ESPN did not say, then, the referee's actions are open to interpretation.

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
Was the 3 point shot by Texas reviewed? The shooter's feet were very close from what I could see on my 50" HD TV. Should be automatic in this stituation. If it was not reviewed, which ESPN did not say, then, the referee's actions are open to interpretation.
Pretty sure it was reviewed

Reaction Score
That's not what I saw, Hamilton or Facey inbounded it as they turned and Samuel wasn't ready, didn't look to him anyways. I was furious that we didnt get a halfway decent shot at a heave with 2.2 left, and also that they didn't show it but I dont blame Terrence for an ounce of that falling apart. It was all the fault of the inbounder, you have time, take it easy Roscoe Smith

Reaction Score
Pretty sure it was reviewed

Certain that any such review was not mentioned on ESPN at all. With the quick cut to the Kentucky game during UConn's last second, desperate last second play and the appearance that half of Texas's bench was on the court while UConn was trying the in-bound gave the impression ESPN was in a rush and botched the entire last minute of a very exciting game.

Reaction Score
Kembacity said:
That's not what I saw, Hamilton or Facey inbounded it as they turned and Samuel wasn't ready, didn't look to him anyways. I was furious that we didnt get a halfway decent shot at a heave with 2.2 left, and also that they didn't show it but I dont blame Terrence for an ounce of that falling apart. It was all the fault of the inbounder, you have time, take it easy Roscoe Smith

I don't fault the thought. Out of timeouts - had a chance to get their defense unsettled celebrating the bucket and get a decent look. Samuel started running up court looking for the pass, it was just a little off where it needed to be. Facey was out so it was probably Hamilton, and he probably should gave held it for one more tick to get Samuel a couple strides further up court to maybe him a chance at a close to normal three (25 feet). If he pulls that in, he's probably still shooting from 40 feet at best.

But even then we would have needed Samuel to make a jump shot. And with Boat down, I don't know what would have happened. The refs might not have allowed for an injury timeout in that situation and just called us for 5 seconds (since the clock had already started when we picked up the ball).

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
More importantly, with Boat hurt, they could have gotten a free time out while they tended to him.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
From in Gample
They hit a wide open shot, I thought it was a 3 but the scoreboard showed 54-54. The crowd was quite. A minute later they changed it to 55. Everyone is stunned and confused then the stadium announcer announces the final score.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The only question I have is why was nothing done about all the Texas bench out on the floor during the last 2.2 - seems like a technical for sure
Made it very confusing for the ten who should have been the only ones on the floor
A friend who was at the game said some of the Texas bench guys were half way across the floor and in the way of the players
Refs should have replayed the final 2.2

Reaction Score

You're kidding me right? A guard wide open near half court with just under 2 seconds left and you zip a pass to him and instead of catching it he swats it down and it's Hamilton's fault? Hamilton did what any player should do with little time, get the ball in and make a play - no TO's so this was the play. It looked to me as if TSam wanted little to do with it......really would love to see the end result. In his defense there could have been a Texas player closing in on him so maybe not on him but to blame the in bonder is beyond ridiculous!

Reaction Score
If I were any coach I would take the tape of the craziness that was the end of the UConn game and show it to my kids. And then I would show it to them in slow motion, the whole scene with the ball going through, the clock stopping, 2 or 3 dumb Texas players very much on the court and celebrating as if the game was over and then ask "If you're the inbounder what would you do?"

The answer - "Throw it to or off one of the Texas players" A technical foul for too many players on the court, 2 FT's and the ball with 1.9 seconds left right? I mean you can't ask our guys to have thought of that today but would've been pretty good heads up stuff huh?

Reaction Score
If you're insinuating that ESPN told the refs to end the game quickly so they could cut to the next game, just stop.

Wouldnt put it past our "good neighbor". They've done sheer yat for UConn athletics.

Reaction Score
I probably would have chucked it off them just because I was pissed.

Reaction Score
I was sitting directly behind the scorer's table. They did not review the final play. That being said it would not have mattered because he was behind the line. very well executed by Texas. they have a nice group of players and will look real good with Taylor back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom