What 4th player should be on UCONN's version of Mount Rushmore? | The Boneyard

What 4th player should be on UCONN's version of Mount Rushmore?

What 4th player should be on UCONN's Mt. Rushmore?

• Kerry Bascomb

• Rebecca Lobo

• Tina Charles

• Nykesha Sales

• Svetlana Abrosimova

• Moriah Jefferson

• Sue BIrd

Results are only viewable after voting.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
What 4th player should be on our Mt Rushmore? For the purposes of this I am going to assume that Maya, Stewie and Dee are already on there. So I'm looking for who you think the 4th player should be.

Keep in mind that this is based on UCONN accomplishments, not what was done after college. NO one can deny that Sue Bird is the greatest PG to ever play the game, but does she deserve to be #4 on Mt. Rushmore?

BTW if anyone believes that Stewie, Maya and Dee are NOT shoe-ins, I'd love to hear why. Probably the same people who think UCONN will lose 2 or more games next year... ;)

Reaction Score
I would favor leaving the fourth spot vacant for now. A new face can be
chiseled in when another transcendent player comes to UConn.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Lobo. She was the first player to lead Connecticut to the mountain top and paved the way for Geno to bring in top recruits. Outstanding collegiate player who made UCONN, UCONN. She was really the first program defining player IMO and didn't play second fiddle to anyone at Connecticut.

Bird really only played 3 years and wasn't a big standout until her senior campaign.

Jefferson and Charles were in the shadow of a better player, and Bascom/Sales/Abrosimova were never focal points on championship squads. You could make an argument for Abrosimova being a focal point in 2000, but I always felt that was more Shea Ralph's team and the team was so balanced and deep that they never really had a true standout like every other UCONN championship squad has had.

Reaction Score
Lobo. She was the first player to lead Connecticut to the mountain top and paved the way for Geno to bring in top recruits. Outstanding collegiate player who made UCONN, UCONN. She was really the first program defining player IMO and didn't play second fiddle to anyone at Connecticut.

Bird really only played 3 years and wasn't a big standout until her senior campaign.

Jefferson and Charles were in the shadow of a better player, and Bascom/Sales/Abrosimova were never focal points on championship squads. You could make an argument for Abrosimova being a focal point in 2000, but I always felt that was more Shea Ralph's team and the team was so balanced and deep that they never really had a true standout like every other UCONN championship squad has had.
No argument with Lobo, but Bird DID win the Lieberman award in her non-standout national championship sophomore year. And then she won it again in her non-standout junior year.

I guess to be a BIG standout you have to win the Lieberman as well as the Wade, and the Naismith, and the national championship, and be selected #1 overall in the NCAA draft. Sue did all of those things her senior year.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Didn't we already go through this? It's Lobo. Case closed.

Reaction Score
KML never receives any love from the UCONN fans... disappointing. She finished 4th in scoring and would have been a lot higher if she did not have to miss those 12 games due to injury and mono....

No doubt KML was a great player and arguably the best shooter in NCAA history. I just think she was a little one dimensional for some to put her in the same breath as Lobo, Moore, Stewart, and Taurasi. She is definitely in that next tier of great players though.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
That 1st championship ran through Lobo. Since when did basketball teams have just 4 players? This is at least the second time around for this question and the solution is always "a bigger mountain" as jimazee states. We have The Huskies of Honor and my only beef there is the bright line price of admission, though I realize if we don't the debates on players will go on and on. Right now I think it is a shame that Kia Nurse may end her career without the designation, while starting on 3 national championship teams (see what I did there?:) )

Reaction Score
For her era and importance certainly lobo is worthy of that spot but if your comparing talent, the girls these days are far superior.
NC can do so much more.

It's like comparing oscar Robertson vs Jordan or DR J. All greats for sure but athletically it's night and day.

Reaction Score
KML never receives any love from the UCONN fans... disappointing. She finished 4th in scoring and would have been a lot higher if she did not have to miss those 12 games due to injury and mono....
Sad but true. She was the rock that calmed the entire team with the very clutch 3 when the team was in disarray and the other team was closing out the score. When missing shots was contagious for the entire team, she was the only one that could score. She was not streaky but always a dead eye assinssin with "one shot one kill" spirit. Withour her, I dont believe they win all of those NC's.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
For her era and importance certainly lobo is worthy of that spot but if your comparing talent, the girls these days are far superior.
NC can do so much more.

Without debating Rebecca vs. Napheesa directly, is examining how a player from a one era might fit into another the point? Or should we look at the impact the player had when she was playing? Isn't that the thing we actually know vs. trying to assess a hypothetical using very limited information?

And if one's assessment is that players playing now are all better than the players playing in earlier eras, then building a Mount Rushmore becomes an exercise in futility since you'd always be replacing the honorees.

(And if UConn had junior or senior season Rebecca last year in addition to everyone else on the team, they win the national championship without a doubt.)

Also: women. They're all women.

Reaction Score
No doubt KML was a great player and arguably the best shooter in NCAA history. I just think she was a little one dimensional for some to put her in the same breath as Lobo, Moore, Stewart, and Taurasi. She is definitely in that next tier of great players though.
KML could shoot from anywhere. She used her stregnth to establish herself in the post with decent moves to the rim. She was more multi demensional than KLS. I don't know where they would have gone without her

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Whichever Husky wins NPOY this coming season. Gabby? Pheesa? Lou? Z?

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Whichever Husky wins NPOY this coming season. Gabby? Pheesa? Lou? Z?

Why will they be more deserving than Rebecca, Kara, Jen, Sue, or Tina?

Reaction Score
KML could shoot from anywhere. She used her stregnth to establish herself in the post with decent moves to the rim. She was more multi demensional than KLS. I don't know where they would have gone without her

I agree with you but the truly great players impact the game in many different ways and KML was mainly just a scorer. When you look at players like Stewart(scoring, rebounding, defense), Moore(scoring, rebounding, defense) Lobo(scoring, rebounding, defense) and Taurasi(scoring, passing, defense) their impact on the entire game in undeniable.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Why will they be more deserving than Rebecca, Kara, Jen, Sue, or Tina?
Frankly, I have always been amused by the concept that you can pick 4 or 5 all-time great Huskies. I think they're all great. One mountain top with 4 spots ain't gonna do it.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Bascom. Took them from nothing to a Final Four. UConn's George Washington. Without her probably no Lobo.

No disrespect but I wonder if that is the case? I think the quoted interview's I have seen indicate that Lobo would have come to UConn under just about any circumstances as long as Geno and CD were the coaches. I think Lobo's presence opened the recruiting flood gates

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom