What 4th player should be on UCONN's version of Mount Rushmore? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What 4th player should be on UCONN's version of Mount Rushmore?

What 4th player should be on UCONN's Mt. Rushmore?

• Kerry Bascomb

• Rebecca Lobo

• Tina Charles

• Nykesha Sales

• Svetlana Abrosimova

• Moriah Jefferson

• Sue BIrd

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
It's Lobo for sure. She was the face of the team that won it all in 95 and started a trend which has continued. The others mentioned were all excellent players but Rebecca is my choice.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Monkey wrench throwing: in a thread several months ago when we were choosing first team & back-ups, it was none other than our sainted Husky Nan who declared that she would not include Lobo for not being athletic enough.

I'm assuming this list is looking at collegiate success and body of work rather than "who would I want on my team to win a game."

If that was the case, I'd actually go with the big 3 (Stewart/Moore/DT), Jefferson, and Gabby Williams. That team would be ridiculous defensively and outstanding as a passing squad. I wouldn't consider Williams to have had a "Mount Rushmore" career compared to other players at UCONN, but if I'm picking 5 current or former Huskies to build a formidable starting 5, she'd fill the 4 spot perfectly to compliment Stewart and the other 3.

Reaction Score
Rebecca Lobo. True Kerry Bascomb elevated the program; however, Rebecca and her teammates took it to the stratosphere.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Did anyone nominate Meghan Gardler?
No, but she'd make a very attractive statue:
Meghan-Gardler-15.jpg

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
My first thought was that the Mt. Rushmore should be - Lobo, Bird, Taurasi, Moore.

Nothing against Stewie. The mountain was already full.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
To me the most interesting aspects of this question are not the answer itself, but rather the ancillary questions that get generated.

For example, to what extent are the second-best players from the greatest UConn teams overshadowed by the respective best players? E.g., Would Moriah and Bird get greater consideration if not attached in our memory to Stewie and Taurasi? And what about Rizzotti? Lobo was the undisputed best player on the 1995 team, but Rizzotti was the undisputed hustle leader and floor general.

I'm glad that Bascom (not Bascomb, please) is getting consideration because she's all too often ignored in media conversations about the UConn greats.

Reaction Score
When I think of MLB's Hall of Fame candidates I always think of was that player dominant in his era? All the candidates at that level have similar stats but were they really dominating MLB when they played? If they did dominate, then they were Hall of Fame worthy! I think Mike Messina, Jim Kaat, Morris - with Twins/Tigers/Blue Jays, Ron Guidry, Dave Stewart, Thurman Munson among others fit my criteria!
How is Edgar Martinez a DH, not qualified for the Hall of Fame?
For the UCONN Wall of Honor, Jamelle Elliott, Kia Nurse (possibly), Tiffany Hayes, etc. were talented enough to get AA honors to earn their way on the Wall, but played on stacked teams where all the qualified didn't get a vote! That didn't make them any less talented! But I agree you've got to draw the line somewhere!

Last edited:

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Geno should be the 4th
Geno certainly belongs on any women's basketball coaching Mount Rushmore; irrespective of gender, any college basketball coaching Mount Rushmore; any college or professional basketball coaching Mount Rushmore; and, I'd submit, along with Knute Rockne, Vince Lombardi and John Wooden, any coaching Mount Rushmore. Pat Summit, Phil Jackson, Don Shula, Coach K, Bear Bryant, Scotty Bowman, Red Auerbach, Bill Belichick, Nick Saban...ah, let the debate begin.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
I think we're gonna' need a bigger Mountain!

It has to be Lobo. She carried the team to it's first NC.

For a sentimental pick I'd go with Swin Cash. A four year starter who played hard EVERY game. If there had been a "bad ass" award during her years playing they would have retired it when she graduated.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom