Whaley | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Whaley

Reaction Score
I'll eat a lot of crap on Whaley - and do so enthusiastically.

I didn't see anything that made me nuts about him in any way, shape or form and I was definitely one of those 'I wonder if things would be better off for him at another program' people. Heading into the season - he was the one guy who I thought would leave and maybe should. 100%. I wasn't wrong - I was wrong about him in every way I could possibly have been wrong about him. The only comfort I get in that is that I wasn't alone- and I think he's even caught the staff by surprise.

I really didn't move off it either - although I'll admit during the Saint Michael's game - I started to wonder if something was there. But being buried on the bench and so drunk on my own bias towards him - I kinda casually discarded the thought.

What's unusual about him is how fast his hands are - and his anticipation on defense is pro-level. He's an incredibly smart player and while he's not the most gifted athlete -he's just so smart that he's able to overcome it. This whole thing now where he hits baby jumpers has made him an actual offensive asset. But it's the defense, disrupting passes, his timing... his motor... that's what makes him so good. It's legitimately insane how many passes and plays he breaks up in the paint. And it's not even debatable that when he's in the game - the entire pace, intensity and energy of how we play on both ends of the court it just waaay different than when he's not out there.

I'd say he's cleanly the most improved guy on the team - but during this resurgence, he might actually be our MVP outside of Bouknight. I love him - he's impossible to not like.

Reaction Score

I didn't see anything that made me nuts about him in any way, shape or form and I was definitely one of those 'I wonder if things would be better off for him at another program' people. Heading into the season - he was the one guy who I thought would leave and maybe should. 100%. I wasn't wrong - I was wrong about him in every way I could possibly have been wrong about him. The only comfort I get in that is that I wasn't alone- and I think he's even caught the staff by surprise.

I really didn't move off it either - although I'll admit during the Saint Michael's game - I started to wonder if something was there. But being buried on the bench and so drunk on my own bias towards him - I kinda casually discarded the thought.

What's unusual about him is how fast his hands are - and his anticipation on defense is pro-level. He's an incredibly smart player and while he's not the most gifted athlete -he's just so smart that he's able to overcome it. This whole thing now where he hits baby jumpers has made him an actual offensive asset. But it's the defense, disrupting passes, his timing... his motor... that's what makes him so good. It's legitimately insane how many passes and plays he breaks up in the paint. And it's not even debatable that when he's in the game - the entire pace, intensity and energy of how we play on both ends of the court it just waaay different than when he's not out there.

I'd say he's cleanly the most improved guy on the team - but during this resurgence, he might actually be our MVP outside of Bouknight. I love him - he's impossible to not like.
I like Whaley and Bouk but come on. CV is 100% our MVP

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Whaley has been a revelation.

He's not just filling up the stat sheet with points, rebounds, and blocks, but also doing so many of the little things well that really enables the team to execute better as a whole:
  • Hard defensive hedges on perimeter helps our guards recover, trap, and get steals.
  • High motor - quickly recovers to his position on defensive rotations and for rebounds.
  • Great screens on offense frees guards, he opens up the lane for drives.
  • Hitting those short bunnies in the paint that Carlton can't seem to make.
  • Offensive rebounding high and having the IQ to know when to go back up for a bucket or kick it out.
  • Defensive rebounding well and getting the ball to guards quick on outlet passes.
Really impressed by his improvement. Good stuff PorkChop

the thing is, he was already doing a lot of that as a frosh in limited minutes. That’s why the 3-4 of us wanted him to get more run, especially as some of the other bigs struggled the last few years. The fact that he’s gained the mass to guard 5s is the incredible feat that gives him a more clear spot on the squad (4 guard sets, 3 plus Jackson next year, etc).

my biggest concern was how would he and Carlton play together because there’s zero spacing there...the answer has been just pound the boards.

Reaction Score
One thing I'll add to my want wish for Whaley- and he's my favorite player, I think, given how he has emerged this year seemingly out of nowhere and has become hugely important for UConn- is that he dunks the ball more in games. I don't know if just doesn't have the offensive footwork skills necessary to dunk more often, or if when he gets rebounds he usually is swarmed by other defenders also trying to get the rebound and doesn't have enough room. Love this guy though!

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
I was on the Whaley band wagon all along also. Playing Cobb last year was a big mistake.
The coaches owe it to Pork Chop to coach him up like they are and let him play.
Also a big factor in all of this present hipe is Gaffney. He was a great poised floor leader yesterday.Stopped Collins and their other guard on D made all the right passes and went to the rim when we needed him.
From where I sat in 117 Gaff. had his stamp all over that game. Love his play. He's the best point guard in the country now.
This team has the MO right now just like 1999, 204, 2011 and 2013. Keep it up don't stop.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I hope Sal doesn't try to add too much muscle to him like he did with Josh. So much of his game is related to him being so springy and (I hate to use this word on a 6-8 guy) nimble.
As a corollary to that, I hope Sal rethinks Josh's conditioning plan. Continue to build upper body and core strength but don't emphasize 'bulk.'

Reaction Score
I was on the Whaley band wagon all along also. Playing Cobb last year was a big mistake.
The coaches owe it to Pork Chop to coach him up like they are and let him play.
Also a big factor in all of this present hipe is Gaffney. He was a great poised floor leader yesterday.Stopped Collins and their other guard on D made all the right passes and went to the rim when we needed him.
From where I sat in 117 Gaff. had his stamp all over that game. Love his play. He's the best point guard in the country now.
This team has the MO right now just like 1999, 204, 2011 and 2013. Keep it up don't stop.

I think you meant something other than best PG in the country right? In a given half he's not the best PG on the team and has a long way to go still. Hoping we're just seeing a nervous shooter because he looks good but his numbers are a bit nerving. Need him to be better than that for sure to get to where we want once the Big East hits. His D is up and down but has improved since the start of the year no doubt as has his game. I have to admit many are higher on him for now but I do like him. But for me a solid 4 year guy not sure watching now he's the guy who "leads" us to the dance at that position. But with improvement on the handle, first step and shooting the ball he can be very good.

Last edited:

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
It seems we're recruiting for 2 spots for next year, and for the life of me I can't figure out where the 2nd is coming from

First name rhymes with Posh and last name rhymes with Parlton.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Even Hurley was wrong on him. Barely played last year. That;s what I love about college basketball is players coming out of nowhere.
Last year was about Whaley not applying himself preparing for games the way coaches wanted.

The conversation Hurley had with at the end of last season obviously benefited Whaley.

Agree that Hurley is probably as surprised as the rest of us to get the type of play he’s shown the past three games. I really hope he continues to play at this level the remainder of this season and next year.

Now we have two blue collar warriors on the court.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
The thing about Whaley is that, as a coach, you have to be able to see not just what kind of player a kid is, but what kind he can become. Whaley had a bad ankle sprain at the beginning of the year, and maybe that buried him, but Hurley and the other coaches had to be able to see his pluses - quick hands and feet, high motor and effort, blends into a team game, smart, soft sure hands on rebounds, great timing and effort on blocks, and soft hands shooting the ball. Hurley should have seen those coming in - he flashed a lot of those skills at times freshman year.

Same goes for recruiting. See what a guy can become, not just what they are.

Reaction Score
Whaley went from odd man out to valued contributor in a hurry. Never so glad to be wrong about a guy. Always loved his defensive instincts, just didn't expect really good offense from him. He has proven is all wrong.

Reaction Score
He is truly a Junk Yard Dog. I'm not sure I ever witnessed a transformation like I've seen in Whaley. He plays with such a motor but always under control. Next year he's coming back with an expanded offensive game.
Whaley always had the athleticism and shot blocking skills , that’s why last years banishment was strange.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Whaley always had the athleticism and shot blocking skills , that’s why last years banishment was strange.
Whaley seemed to get whistled for a lot of fouls last year. He's getting a deservedly better whistle now it seems. He stuffed that big USF guy 3 times in a row cleanly. Last year at least one was gonna get called.

Reaction Score
One thing I'll add to my want wish for Whaley- and he's my favorite player, I think, given how he has emerged this year seemingly out of nowhere and has become hugely important for UConn- is that he dunks the ball more in games.
How about that, he listened to me! Great game!

Reaction Score
One thing I'll add to my want wish for Whaley- and he's my favorite player, I think, given how he has emerged this year seemingly out of nowhere and has become hugely important for UConn- is that he dunks the ball more in games. I don't know if just doesn't have the offensive footwork skills necessary to dunk more often, or if when he gets rebounds he usually is swarmed by other defenders also trying to get the rebound and doesn't have enough room. Love this guy though!
Happy after tonight?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom