Whaley vs Akok in the starting line-up. | The Boneyard

Whaley vs Akok in the starting line-up.

Reaction Score
Does anyone else agree that Akok replacing Whaley as a starter would be the most optimal/best line-up for the team? Personally I could def see it happening by the end of the season. Akok honestly just offers more offensively and doesn’t seem like an extreme drop off from Whaley on the defensive end.

Reaction Score
I like Akok coming off the bench and Whaley starting.

I think you are underestimating how good Whaley is on defense and I think locking the other team down out of the gate is really the way to go.

I do see your perspective, though.

Reaction Score
If Akok can continue to shoot well from 3, I start him and live with the dropoff in D. Whaley is more comfortable at the 5, maybe come in for either Sanogo or Akok, whoever gets in foul trouble first. Keeping the floor properly spaced will be a premium versus higher level competition and will only help Sanogo even more.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Whaley needs to start taking those wide open 3s defenses are giving him, or else Akok will win his job. The biggest advantage of teams constantly doubling Sanogo is it leaves our 4 spot unguarded at the perimeter. You need to make defenses pay for that to free up Sanogo

I think in February our starting lineup will look like Cole/Hawkins/Martin/Akok/Sanogo

Reaction Score
I have to say with the way Whaley has been used it’s a good question. To have a guy who is literally one of your best offensive rebounders continuously hanging around the 3 point line is mindless. He doesn’t want to dribble it, he’s not a great passer and for now he’s not shooting it. Having him and Andre in the game to start with neither wanting to shoot it will kill Sanogo, Cole, Martins spacing when we play skilled defensive teams.

Hey I love Whaley and think his defense will be of the utmost importance but if he’s not being used to his strengths then I see the debate here. And while Akok has shown he can make shots and offensively he can help, he has been beaten off the dribble in the first 2 games a few times.

Tough call here but I get it!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Whaley was a defensive stalwart against tough completion for us so making this type of change after 2 cupcakes is not warranted. Let’s see these guys go up against high quality players a few times. I think we’re going to know a lot more pretty soon.

Reaction Score
I’m fine with either of them starting but one thing I’ve noticed is Whaley is more comfortable doing the high-low pass to Sanogo and we definitely try to get Sanogo going early every game. Not a great game from Whaley yesterday but he had 5 assists

Reaction Score
Atlantis should put things into clearer focus.

Would be interesting there if Akok catches fire on offense, but gets beaten on defense, and if Whaley scores very little but defends well. Akok blocks shots and so does Whaley. Akok has an outside shot, but Whaley not so much. Different strengths and weaknesses.

I guess the plus/minus thing will show it for what it is.

Should be a really good test.

Reaction Score
What I have seen is our team's calling card, our defense, has been phenomenal.
No way I change out any of those gears right now much less take out Top Gear, Ike, the BEDPOY. He'll be even more important once he gets oiled up for bigger games.
Akok's progress is one of many great early stories and his minutes will be just fine.

Reaction Score
I have to say with the way Whaley has been used it’s a good question. To have a guy who is literally one of your best offensive rebounders continuously hanging around the 3 point line is mindless. He doesn’t want to dribble it, he’s not a great passer and for now he’s not shooting it. Having him and Andre in the game to start with neither wanting to shoot it will kill Sanogo, Cole, Martins spacing when we play skilled defensive teams.

Hey I love Whaley and think his defense will be of the utmost importance but if he’s not being used to his strengths then I see the debate here. And while Akok has shown he can make shots and offensively he can help, he has been beaten off the dribble in the first 2 games a few times.

Tough call here but I get it!!
I thought IW had a few nice assists on entry passes to Adama.

Reaction Score
It’s a no brainer
Akok might be the best player on the team
Wholly is a perfect back up 5
Too many non shooters in SL
Akok is a natural selection for the starting 4

Reaction Score
It’s a no brainer
Akok might be the best player on the team
Wholly is a perfect back up 5
Too many non shooters in SL
Akok is a natural selection for the starting 4
Aside from Cole we didn’t have a 3 point shooter in the starting lineup even though Martin made 3 yesterday. My concern is getting behind early and having no answer. I have never seen Hawkins play but maybe he’s an answer here or Gaffney starting.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Whaley has to start.

He's a much underrated cog on this team.

They showed Hurley talking in the huddle at one point yesterday and I paid very close attention to what he said. Whaley was at the center of everything they were planning on offense; the screens, the ball movement, etc. A lot of responsibility for the set seemed predicated on his execution. Very telling...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Put me in the "don't mess with what is working" camp.

Through two games Akok has shown much better shooting l, scoring and activeness than Whaley.

But Whaley has his strengths. He has been passing good to Sanogo and we know he has the strength to okay against better team's interior players.

Akok has shown he can be effective coming off the bench.

Right now Akok and Gaffney coming off the bench around 5-6 minutes in to the game is working.

Also put me in the "It's more important who finishes than who starts" camp. If Akok keeps playing well he's getting 20-25 mpg.

Only lineup change hints we have heard is Hurley consistently saying Hawkins is "needed" for this team. Gotta think at this point Hawkins takes Jackson's starting spot. That helps open up the floor for Sanogo.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Put me in the "don't mess with what is working" camp.

Through two games Akok has shown much better shooting l, scoring and activeness than Whaley.

But Whaley has his strengths. He has been passing good to Sanogo and we know he has the strength to okay against better team's interior players.

Akok has shown he can be effective coming off the bench.

Right now Akok and Gaffney coming off the bench around 5-6 minutes in to the game is working.

Also put me in the "It's more important who finishes than who starts" camp. If Akok keeps playing well he's getting 20-25 mpg.

Only lineup change hints we have heard is Hurley consistently saying Hawkins is "needed" for this team. Gotta think at this point Hawkins takes Jackson's starting spot. That helps open up the floor for Sanogo.
I think the player who's minutes will be most impacted by Hawkin's arrival in the lineup is Polley. And I think Polley knows it, hence why he was pressing so much vs. Coppin St. Players always play worse when they lose confidence and start pressing.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think the player who's minutes will be most impacted by Hawkin's arrival in the lineup is Polley. And I think Polley knows it, hence why he was pressing so much vs. Coppin St. Players always play worse when they lose confidence and start pressing.

Hurley spent at least a minute talking about Polley and how he needs to get Polley in the game sooner.

This is all reading tea leaves but Hurley has had a consistent message on Hawkins and he was straight forward with talking about finding a way to get Polley going better.

Reaction Score
Would love to see that switch of Hawkins for Jackson. Jackson and Whaley in together will be worrisome if neither is willing to take those open jumpers because teams will sag off and prevent Sanogo from getting the ball. I also feel Jackson would play better coming off bench bringing energy.

Reaction Score
Excellent thread! Great to have such a “problem” to have. Can’t imagine what Hawkins will bring to the table. I like how deep the team is. If the chemistry and productive balance runs through when substitutions come in, then that’ll be unbelievable. We’ll have to see who wants the ball and who will step up when the game is on the line.

Reaction Score
Id be fine with Whaley staying in the starting lineup a la Olander but being the first guy subbed out for akok. He just shouldn’t be getting more than 10 mpg at the 4 but with 15 more mins as backup C that’s still 25 mpg total.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom