Whaley open to coming back? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Whaley open to coming back?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I’m fine with the policy that gives these kids another year of paid school. For some it means they will graduate. For others start on a masters. But I am not sure UConn has room for Whaley next year. Certainly not for Josh. Or Polley. This has potential to negatively impact other kids. There are only so many scholarships out there.

Reaction Score
And find minutes for everyone.
Not the worst problem to have. More or less equally impacts all programs so not that likely talented underclassmen will bolt because of the situation. I don't think they will transfer to a lesser program that had no talented seniors just to get playing time.

Reaction Score
I’m fine with the policy that gives these kids another year of paid school. For some it means they will graduate. For others start on a masters. But I am not sure UConn has room for Whaley next year. Certainly not for Josh. Or Polley. This has potential to negatively impact other kids. There are only so many scholarships out there.
as of now i'd probably only entertain this for whaley. bouk is going pro so we'll have an open scholarship this spring as it is (if hurley doesnt want to go over 13) and we don't have another C coming in next year so there is room for him alongside sanogo and brown.

polley is trickier since we have Johnson (PF) and Hawkins (W) both coming in who would be competing with him for minutes, not to mention akok, springs, martin, and jackson.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Could it possibly also mean that they could transfer on that remaining eligibility year if there wasn't "room" for them on the roster? It almost sounds like the NCAA is looking to avoid an avalanche of potential lawsuits by players who might have had their future impacted by the virus and the decisions the NCAA made in relation to that. Allowing another year puts the problem on the University's back and off the NCAA.

Is there a Lawyer in the house ?

Reaction Score
Could it possibly also mean that they could transfer on that remaining eligibility year if there wasn't "room" for them on the roster?
this rule should work in concert with the one-time transfer sit-out exception, which the ncaa really needs to enact for 21-22.

your question seems directed at seniors (e.g. carlton and polley) but keep in mind that lots of freshmen and sophomores arent going to stick around for all 4 years at their current institutions and will end up transferring as well. if a player loses this extra year of eligibility simply by transferring then it defeats the purpose of the rule. nor is there an exception to the rule saying seniors can only benefit from the extra year of eligibility if they remain at their current school. so assuming the transfer exception rule is passed for next season they should be able to play elsewhere immediately without having to be a grad transfer.

Last edited:

g_smith

made my username before I noticed the UConn theme
Reaction Score
Championship UConn teams have always had upperclassmen with the wisdom to push through adversity. 2011 had Chuck “I love this team” Okwandu 2014 had Lasan Kromah. 2022 could have Isaiah Pork Chop WHALEY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom