We've Got some Work to do | Page 2 | The Boneyard

We've Got some Work to do

Reaction Score
Geno will have to get the freshmen in the AAC games early and often and live with some mistakes until they get it. During tonight’s game I was thinking just how much we could have used a physical rebounder like MW on the court.
I agree I too believe Uconn's Bench needs real game PT experience--learn in practice, hone in games---
But honestly---Geno rarely changes and I seriously doubt he'll play the Bench--he does not think practiced to his expectations.
Out side of Walker--maybe Irwin (maybe)--I haven't seen enough progress in Coombs, Gordon, Touly to think Geno can develop much needed relief for the 7 "starters"--Molly, love her, at times does not think just reacts and passes to the bench.
I'm sure Geno knows his team escaped a loss, didn't strongly win that game (a W is a W) and lots of work needs to be done--but that same weakness was uncovered in at least 2 prior games. It's not new, same as last year if we go one beyond Z---thank you for Z JPM.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It's January 15 and there is zero evidence that Camara is going to play in a big game let alone do so effectively. If she were able, she'd play. She isn't.

She got a little over 2 minutes in a 60 point win. You either put her in for significantly more or nothing if she is physically limited. I feel we have had bad info about her situation all along. If she's cleared to play, then play her.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
She got a little over 2 minutes in a 60 point win. You either put her in for significantly more or nothing if she is physically limited. I feel we have had bad info about her situation all along. If she's cleared to play, then play her.

Just because she's cleared to play doesn't mean she can play effectively. She looks rusty and unsure of herself when she plays. Maybe she can overcome that but it's not looking good.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Just because she's cleared to play doesn't mean she can play effectively. She looks rusty and unsure of herself when she plays. Maybe she can overcome that but it's not looking good.

I agree. Geno all but said about 3 weeks ago that it is a confidence issue she has.

Reaction Score
Agree with your post! Time for the bench to step up ... literally!
I agree--the real issues seem to be: 1. Geno allocated PT via Practices, and he is the judge
2. How far along in development do you see Coombs, Gordon, Touly
3. Can Molly provide almost error free 10 minutes in a big game?
4. Coombs and Gordon are talented, but do they understand the Geno Defense, offense?
5. Touly with her both legs in FDR irons --dosen't have the mobility to be effective, does she?
It would be great if one or two become division one players this year--is that realistic?

Reaction Score
First of all and most importantly we pulled out a difficult road win against one of the better teams in the country.
Three of the six players I think played well and made strong contributions. CD made the big two foul shots to clinch it and is becoming better and better. KLS was very good and solid but through much of the fourth quarter she didn't get herself a shot. She's very good at not forcing things and playing within their system, but I was disappointed that she still doesn't seem to take over the game in crucial spots. This concerns me as we lost last year when the system struggled against a strong defensive, physical and athletic team and no one took hold. AZ continues to improve and by tournament time should be a real force. She's going for an outside player to a more balanced player with an inside game. Her shots were blocked a few times as she still doesn't always go up strong.
As to off games pertaining to the three remaining players. Kia plays her butt off every moment but it was clear to me when she's being closely guarded she cannot do much to create her own shot. If that's afraid or that's just who she is offensively remains to be seen. In the first half and a bit more, I thought Gabby was maybe experiencing migraines again as she wasn't herself. Of course she's a unique athlete but her shooting and fear of it, maybe the limitations she and we need to live with. Collier not only didn't shoot well, she too seemed out of sorts.
Of course someone or two of the rest need to step up and take some minutes and make some form of impact.
It was a really good win but shows again the weaknesses and the team and Geno, CD and the coaching staff have their work cut out for them.
So all in all, a very good win showing grit and determination but also much to be done.
Bronx23

Outstanding analysis.

Reaction Score
Last year I called Williams and Collier the Dynamic Duo. Sometimes friends don't play together well when a third (Stevens) is invited to the party. The Duo becomes a Trio and that throws everyone out of sorts. I think these three need how to learn to move and find each other better when on the floor at the same time. I think this is a big issue. Last year Williams & Collier fed off one another; now Collier looks like the odd man out and that can't be. We need all of them to make it work..

Reaction Score
I agree. Geno all but said about 3 weeks ago that it is a confidence issue she has.

If you look at Touly's iron legs--how effect can any player be toting that baggage around?? Not at Div 1!
Rocky--with your long and vast WBB knowledge--Knowing that Geno will always be Geno and give PT per practices--whom among the Irwin, Molly, Coombs, Gordon, Touly-- which do you expect to see get 10 or 20 minutes in the next two games--I suspect Walker will get many.
Geno is blessed with lots of talent--but few ready back ups , IMO. If Walker was really trusted, she'd have been in the Tx game, don't you think?

Reaction Score
Last year I called Williams and Collier the Dynamic Duo. Sometimes friends don't play together well when a third (Stevens) is invited to the party. The Duo becomes a Trio and that throws everyone out of sorts. I think these three need how to learn to move and find each other better when on the floor at the same time. I think this is a big issue. Last year Williams & Collier fed off one another; now Collier looks like the odd man out and that can't be. We nend all of them to make it work..

Truism---but that's the coaches job to blend new talent with old talent---nearly always there is a learning curve and so far it works well--but there is a player to player trust factor than has not yet been achieved.
Danger is the best passer into Z, who IMO needs to get that pass early and often.7
Collier early on had mental issues and Geno pulled her to get her head into the game--it worked, but not fully.

Reaction Score
I am amazed by a number of comments that detail now how much trouble we are in and what Geno needs to do differently with the bench. Prior to the game, I believe a number of these posters were predicting a 30+ win with plenty of time for the bench. I am not criticizing any BYer. My feeling is let's calm down and give Geno a chance to work the bench. His post game interview was great. He seemed really energized by the close win. So should we be.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
If you look at Touly's iron legs--how effect can any player be toting that baggage around?? Not at Div 1!
Rocky--with your long and vast WBB knowledge--Knowing that Geno will always be Geno and give PT per practices--whom among the Irwin, Molly, Coombs, Gordon, Touly-- which do you expect to see get 10 or 20 minutes in the next two games--I suspect Walker will get many.
Geno is blessed with lots of talent--but few ready back ups , IMO. If Walker was really trusted, she'd have been in the Tx game, don't you think?

I suppose so. There is a countervailing consideration. Even a number 1 recruit can have doubts, walls, and down times. You could set her back throwing her into the deep end of a 3 point game.

Reaction Score
I suppose so. There is a countervailing consideration. Even a number 1 recruit can have doubts, walls, and down times. You could set her back throwing her into the deep end of a 3 point game.
Seriously, with all the BB Walker has played ---all the Big time HS games--many HS games are more personal than WCBB--I agree if dumped into the final 3 minutes --to ask her to perform then--would be near punishment. Have we seen any walls while she has been in any games?, I haven't. But I know of no top rank/rated players that could be set back by playing in this kind of game-ity Stewie was taken out by physicality of Div 1 --not by the game---the one the Big time recruits yearn for. But should she be the only option due to fouls --she would have found herself in that game of that I have no doubts.
To be fair: I see a WALL as when a player plays at a level and then for some reason does not exceed that level--Walker that I have seen, exceeds it in some aspect in every game she's in.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Work to do indeed @Tonyc. An improved bench is an obvious area that UCONN has work to do but there are some other areas as well.

1) I'm not sure why UCONN has opened the last two games in a zone.
Playing zone makes you vulnerable to offensive rebounds. UCONN gave up 4 Offensive rebounds to Huston and 5 Offensive rebounds to Texas in the 1st Q alone while playing zone . Playing a 2 X 3 zone like UCONN was doing makes you susceptible to the wing 3 and Texas had 8 3Pt FG attempts and made 4 in the 1st Q alone. Huston had 6 3Pt FG attempts and made 0 in the 1st Q alone.

2) Gabby as a facilitator is being ignored by the defense.
Gabby of last year led the team in assist, the difference between Gabby of last year and this year is that Gabby is literally 2-3 feet further away from the basket. These two to three feet difference has had a dramatic effect on not only Gabby's game but also Napheesa's shooting percentage which is down drastically from 67.8% to 53.8%
With the defense sagging off Gabby there is one more defender clogging the lane for Napheesa and the other UCONN cutters.
Additionally, Gabby being further away form the basket puts her in worst offensive rebounding position and as a result Gabby's offensive rebounding numbers are also drastically down from 2.81 per game to 1.37.

3) This team could use a player with some more meat on the bones (hopefully that is PC enough for everyone). Shepard, of ND and White & Caron-Goudreau of Texas made some very nice plays against UCONN but they also made several plays because they were bigger and more sturdy than any player UCONN could have put on the floor.

4) Better defense must mean less fouling. So far this year UCONN is averaging 12.94 fouls per game. That is an increase of ~ + 1 over last year and ~ +2 over the 15-16 UCONN season. Foul trouble is obviously compounded by a short bench because it always puts you into unfavorable matchups.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Seriously, with all the BB Walker has played ---all the Big time HS games--many HS games are more personal than WCBB--I agree if dumped into the final 3 minutes --to ask her to perform then--would be near punishment. Have we seen any walls while she has been in any games?, I haven't. But I know of no top rank/rated players that could be set back by playing in this kind of game-ity Stewie was taken out by physicality of Div 1 --not by the game---the one the Big time recruits yearn for. But should she be the only option due to fouls --she would have found herself in that game of that I have no doubts.
To be fair: I see a WALL as when a player plays at a level and then for some reason does not exceed that level--Walker that I have seen, exceeds it in some aspect in every game she's in.

I offered a possible explanation and, of course, I'm not speaking based on personal knowledge or inside information. Me, personally, I want the bench in there to sink or swim.

Reaction Score
I offered a possible explanation and, of course, I'm not speaking based on personal knowledge or inside information. Me, personally, I want the bench in there to sink or swim.
Sorry, if I came across less than gracious---I'm still trying to figure out---and in this I don't envy Geno--if you need a Frosh/Soph to step up---there are some, you know won't do it--and then whose left..
Obviously, I have the same emotional attachment to Walker as I did Danger and Kia before her--I just KNOW (stupid me) she can do it..

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Sorry, if I came across less than gracious

You didn't. I'm as puzzled as anyone about Walker and how according to Geno this freshman class is "behind" in its development. Walker is gifted and I expected her to be getting at least 10 minutes a game, at least in conference play, if not more by now.

Reaction Score
You didn't. I'm as puzzled as anyone about Walker and how according to Geno this freshman class is "behind" in its development. Walker is gifted and I expected her to be getting at least 10 minutes a game, at least in conference play, if not more by now.
I agree. I thought a game like Tx after the UCLA and ND games--both big--one would think she was ahead of schedule--then dropped into the black holes of space.

In human relations--trust and confidence in a person--works two way. If you trust me I'll do my best to live up to that trust--you don't trust me maybe I don't know exactly what you expect from me. Good kids, and UCWBB is full of good kids, will try to give you what they understand you expect.

Reaction Score
You mention that Kia was scared. I would point out that of those made free throws, Kia was 6-6 having driven the lane 3 times and getting fouled hard each time. She didn’t appear scared to me.

I wonder sometimes if we're all watching the same game.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I wonder sometimes if we're all watching the same game.
Emotions affect everyone’s perception. Whether the refs were biased, the opposing team played dirty or a particular player was good or bad are often emotional reactions.

The two things I always do after a UConn game to get a better understanding of what I just watched, is check the stats and then watch the game a second time when I already know the outcome.

Reaction Score
First of all, I'm amazed that it took so long for coaches to come to the conclusion that you need to control the number of shots UConn takes. How is that done ? Instead of trying to run with the huskies as they have in the past,Texas decided to turn Monday's game into a " POSSESSION " game. Texas players were well drilled at just " getting back " on defense. In the half court set, Texas did a great job of " grabbing " every UConn player cutting through the lane. After rewatching several segments in slow-mo, I saw several instances of two hands riding a UConn player in the lane. The game announcers call it " letting them play ". I guess the rule against impeding an offensive player's progress does not count in UConn games. Then there was the three pointer by KLS , with the uncalled foul , right in front of the official. Enough said.
On the husky defensive end ? What's with the crappy zone ? Several instances of UConn players missing assignments in the zone, and probably leading to UConn's lack of rebounding. As far as the bench. I only see MW and possibly KI getting meaningful minutes in big games down the road. Molly is still lost, and probably lacks the skills. Batouly is not physically ready. Mikayla and Alexis just aren't mentally ready yet. As for coach ? Yes perfection is great to strive for, but... and here is the down side of coaching all of those Olympic caliber athletes. If you don't experience the bumps in the road , you can't expect young players to know how to handle them ! I for one am not jumping off of the bridge, just yet. However, when UConn gets to the FF this year, I like to hear from a more positive coach. I mean, what coach enters the FF with an unbeaten team and tells a national audience " it doesn't feel right " ! REALLY ?

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
First of all, I'm amazed that it took so long for coaches to come to the conclusion that you need to control the number of shots UConn takes. How is that done ? Instead of trying to run with the huskies as they have in the past,Texas decided to turn Monday's game into a " POSSESSION " game. Texas players were well drilled at just " getting back " on defense. In the half court set, Texas did a great job of " grabbing " every UConn player cutting through the lane. After rewatching several segments in slow-mo, I saw several instances of two hands riding a UConn player in the lane. The game announcers call it " letting them play ". I guess the rule against impeding an offensive player's progress does not count in UConn games. Then there was the three pointer by KLS , with the uncalled foul , right in front of the official. Enough said.
On the husky defensive end ? What's with the crappy zone ? Several instances of UConn players missing assignments in the zone, and probably leading to UConn's lack of rebounding. As far as the bench. I only see MW and possibly KI getting meaningful minutes in big games down the road. Molly is still lost, and probably lacks the skills. Batouly is not physically ready. Mikayla and Alexis just aren't mentally ready yet. As for coach ? Yes perfection is great to strive for, but... and here is the down side of coaching all of those Olympic caliber athletes. If you don't experience the bumps in the road , you can't expect young players to know how to handle them ! I for one am not jumping off of the bridge, just yet. However, when UConn gets to the FF this year, I like to hear from a more positive coach. I mean, what coach enters the FF with an unbeaten team and tells a national audience " it doesn't feel right " ! REALLY ?
You are implying that @ the FF was the first time that Geno made that statement about that team and it clearly was not.
A few games into the season (Dec 1) Geno said " I hope these ranked teams are as good as everybody says they are because we need to get our ass beat soon and bad so that some of our guys will come to realize that this is not as easy as they think it is.
"Geno Auriemma: "We Need A Good Old-Fashioned Ass-Kicking"

Reaction Score
You are implying that @ the FF was the first time that Geno made that statement about that team and it clearly was not.
A few games into the season (Dec 1) Geno said " I hope these ranked teams are as good as everybody says they are because we need to get our ass beat soon and bad so that some of our guys will come to realize that this is not as easy as they think it is.
"Geno Auriemma: "We Need A Good Old-Fashioned Ass-Kicking"
No, just didn't exactly like that attitude entering FF. Is that really the mental mindset you want to convey to your " unbeaten team " at that point in time ?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom