We've Got some Work to do | The Boneyard

We've Got some Work to do

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
A big game like this on the road, against a big team is always tuff. Texas came out hot and I was thinking they're starting like a lion and finishing like a lamb but that didnt happen. Texas was poised. They took their time and they hit alot of shots. UConn on the other hand couldnt get the fast break going because Texas was outrebounding them and getting to many second and third shots. Texas played terrific defense. This is the best Ive seen Texas play much like Lville against ND the other day. So we will see how Texas and Lville play in the next few games. Both played outstanding.

UConn found a way to win. Guts and Determination sums it up for me. This team has alot of talent that isnt jellin yet. Collier and Gabby playing out of positions that they played last season. Z is very good and on her way to being great but after tonite and reflecting on the ND game we have a way to go to get our chemistry consistent.

I didnt like the fouls called late in the game and the fouls not called late in the game but thats the way it goes when your on the road in a big game. Youve got to put your big girl pants on and play though it and thats exactly what UConn did.

We now have 5 games with only 2 home. Again the travel has had an impact on our starters with the bench seeing little time. Geno said it and Im glad he did...we need the non starters to contribute which means they need play time and over the next 5 games I think we will see the non starters get more time. Walker Irwin Coombs Bent Camara and Gordon need to be able to get minutes in big games. I will be very surprised if they dont.

Tonite was a wake up call. Our weakness's we glaring and none more then only 6 players playing. We desperately need Coombs and or Bent to step up .... between them we need another guard who can handle the ball. Irwin and Walker look to be the next backups and they need playtime. If Aja Wilson is still hurt the only tuff game left will be Lville and I dont think they will play against us like they did against ND. They could play tuff but nothing like the ND game.

So we've got Tulsa on Thursday and Temple on Sunday. Lets see what happens.

Reaction Score
A big game like this on the road, against a big team is always tuff. Texas came out hot and I was thinking they're starting like a lion and finishing like a lamb but that didnt happen. Texas was poised. They took their time and they hit alot of shots. UConn on the other hand couldnt get the fast break going because Texas was outrebounding them and getting to many second and third shots. Texas played terrific defense. This is the best Ive seen Texas play much like Lville against ND the other day. So we will see how Texas and Lville play in the next few games. Both played outstanding.

UConn found a way to win. Guts and Determination sums it up for me. This team has alot of talent that isnt jellin yet. Collier and Gabby playing out of positions that they played last season. Z is very good and on her way to being great but after tonite and reflecting on the ND game we have a way to go to get our chemistry consistent.

I didnt like the fouls called late in the game and the fouls not called late in the game but thats the way it goes when your on the road in a big game. Youve got to put your big girl pants on and play though it and thats exactly what UConn did.

We now have 5 games with only 2 home. Again the travel has had an impact on our starters with the bench seeing little time. Geno said it and Im glad he did...we need the non starters to contribute which means they need play time and over the next 5 games I think we will see the non starters get more time. Walker Irwin Coombs Bent Camara and Gordon need to be able to get minutes in big games. I will be very surprised if they dont.

Tonite was a wake up call. Our weakness's we glaring and none more then only 6 players playing. We desperately need Coombs and or Bent to step up .... between them we need another guard who can handle the ball. Irwin and Walker look to be the next backups and they need playtime. If Aja Wilson is still hurt the only tuff game left will be Lville and I dont think they will play against us like they did against ND. They could play tuff but nothing like the ND game.

Agree with your post! Time for the bench to step up ... literally!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Geno will have to get the freshmen in the AAC games early and often and live with some mistakes until they get it. During tonight’s game I was thinking just how much we could have used a physical rebounder like MW on the court.

Reaction Score
The big thing I constantly noticed was that Gabby was playing outside on the high position which kept her away from rebounding and inside shots. They didn't even bother to guard her because until late in the game she didn't even try to shoot from there which made Texas defense a 5 on 4 condition. Z made some nice moves inside but is a big liability on defense. Collier was pretty much a non-factor again mostly due to fouls. Some serious poor calls and non-calls in the game but as was said UConn found a way. Great gut win.

Reaction Score
The big thing I constantly noticed was that Gabby was playing outside on the high position which kept her away from rebounding and inside shots. They didn't even bother to guard her because until late in the game she didn't even try to shoot from there which made Texas defense a 5 on 4 condition. Z made some nice moves inside but is a big liability on defense. Collier was pretty much a non-factor again mostly due to fouls. Some serious poor calls and non-calls in the game but as was said UConn found a way. Great gut win.

This is pretty much my take on the game, too. I'll add two things: On offense Kia played scared for most of the second half, which surprised and disappointed me. Making 17 straight free throws (until Lou missed her two) is really what kept us in this game, allowing our Huskies the opportunity to grind it out at the end.

I was happy to see how pleased Geno was that his team was able to close this game in a hostile environment when they clearly didn't have their best stuff. Good and useful tone for the head coach as a take away.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This is pretty much my take on the game, too. I'll add two things: On offense Kia played scared for most of the second half, which surprised and disappointed me. Making 100% of our free throws (until Lou missed her two) are what kept us into the game until we gritted it out at the end.

I was happy to see how pleased Geno was that his team was able to close this game in a hostile environment when they clearly didn't have their best stuff.
You mention that Kia was scared. I would point out that of those made free throws, Kia was 6-6 having driven the lane 3 times and getting fouled hard each time. She didn’t appear scared to me.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I was there watching the game from the nosebleeds. What a game! It was also a lot of fun to meet up with other Boneyarders at halftime.

A few thoughts:
  • Kudos to the Texas Longhorns. They came out hot and brought their A game. It's about time! Where was that Texas team against Tennessee? And against TCU?
  • I agree with Tony: There is work to do. I'm not sure if it's chemistry or timing, but that patented UConn flow on offense has been awry for long stretches of the games against Notre Dame and now Texas.
  • Pheesa and Gabby had games that they'd really like to forget. Crystal, Kia, and Azurá, despite some mistakes, made huge contributions to the winning effort. Katie Lou was a rock throughout the game (until the final missed free throws, oops). But speaking of free throws, I loved the ice-water-in-veins daggers that Crystal sank to finally put the game out of Texas' reach.
  • Megan Walker? I'll leave it at that.
  • I do take some comfort in seeing this team tough out a grinder. It stresses the heck out of me while I'm watching, but it's satisfying to see in the end. The word on UConn in recent years has been a vulnerability in tight end-of-game situations. Tonight's test was a good one to pass in this regard.
  • Tonight's game adds further intrigue to the upcoming showdowns with South Carolina and Louisville. If nothing else, the UConn air of invincibility has been bruised a bit.

Reaction Score
You mention that Kia was scared. I would point out that of those made free throws, Kia was 6-6 having driven the lane 3 times and getting fouled hard each time. She didn’t appear scared to me.

Tonight she lacked confidence in her shot and deferred too much to Crystal on playmaking, in my opinion. But yes, she was as tough as ever so "scared" probably wasn't the right choice of words.

Too bad her repertoire doesn't include the "post-motion" mid to long-range jumper after curling around a screen that Lou does. That would be a very nice add for her.

Reaction Score
The UConn air of invincibility was gone the minute Morgan William hit that buzzer beater in OT last year.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
We need Batouly Camara to be effective coming off the bench to get key rebounds when playing teams that have the size that Texas has. She doesn't have to score, just stop the bleeding when it comes to rebounding. Then Mikayla and Megan need minutes to provide a few minutes rest for the starter when necessary or when foul trouble dictates. I would have like to see Megan and Mikayla get a few minutes sometime during this game just to see what they would have done and if was necessary have a short leash if they couldn't handle the pressure.

Based on playing time it appears the Kyla and Molly are the most knowledgeable/effective players during practice, but I don't think either of them would have been able to match up with Texas tonight. They are too slow and not athletic enough to match up with any of the Texas players.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
We need Batouly Camara to be effective coming off the bench to get key rebounds when playing teams that have the size that Texas has. She doesn't have to score, just stop the bleeding when it comes to rebounding. Then Mikayla and Megan need minutes to provide a few minutes rest for the starter when necessary or when foul trouble dictates. I would have like to see Megan and Mikayla get a few minutes sometime during this game just to see what they would have done and if was necessary have a short leash if they couldn't handle the pressure.

Based on playing time it appears the Kyla and Molly are the most knowledgeable/effective players during practice, but I don't think either of them would have been able to match up with Texas tonight. They are too slow and not athletic enough to match up with any of the Texas players.

It's January 15 and there is zero evidence that Camara is going to play in a big game let alone do so effectively. If she were able, she'd play. She isn't.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tonight's game adds further intrigue to the upcoming showdowns with South Carolina and Louisville. If nothing else, the UConn air of invincibility has been bruised a bit.

A few days ago, I honestly didn't care that the upcoming contest against Louisville was a home game. Tonight, I'm absolutely delighted!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Before Louisville, I would worry about SC if Wilson is 100%. Just as tough a place to play

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It's January 15 and there is zero evidence that Camara is going to play in a big game let alone do so effectively. If she were able, she'd play. She isn't.
While she’s dragging around all that hardware on her legs, I tend to agree with you, but she’s the closest thing UConn has to a traditional post player, so I’ll just keep hoping that maybe she can give the Huskies some Natalie type minutes vs teams with big front lines.

Reaction Score
First of all and most importantly we pulled out a difficult road win against one of the better teams in the country.
Three of the six players I think played well and made strong contributions. CD made the big two foul shots to clinch it and is becoming better and better. KLS was very good and solid but through much of the fourth quarter she didn't get herself a shot. She's very good at not forcing things and playing within their system, but I was disappointed that she still doesn't seem to take over the game in crucial spots. This concerns me as we lost last year when the system struggled against a strong defensive, physical and athletic team and no one took hold. AZ continues to improve and by tournament time should be a real force. She's going for an outside player to a more balanced player with an inside game. Her shots were blocked a few times as she still doesn't always go up strong.
As to off games pertaining to the three remaining players. Kia plays her butt off every moment but it was clear to me when she's being closely guarded she cannot do much to create her own shot. If that's afraid or that's just who she is offensively remains to be seen. In the first half and a bit more, I thought Gabby was maybe experiencing migraines again as she wasn't herself. Of course she's a unique athlete but her shooting and fear of it, maybe the limitations she and we need to live with. Collier not only didn't shoot well, she too seemed out of sorts.
Of course someone or two of the rest need to step up and take some minutes and make some form of impact.
It was a really good win but shows again the weaknesses and the team and Geno, CD and the coaching staff have their work cut out for them.
So all in all, a very good win showing grit and determination but also much to be done.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
I think that in the AAC games from here out Geno should allow the bench to start the games and then substitute in his regular starters. Nothing like real life experience.

Reaction Score
There were so many good things about this win, but this is only a championship team if the rebounding gets better.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Geno will have to get the freshmen in the AAC games early and often and live with some mistakes until they get it. During tonight’s game I was thinking just how much we could have used a physical rebounder like MW on the court.

Good point. It doesn't do them any good to be matched up against the second stringers on the other team, or playing extended garbage time minutes against anybody from the very late 3Q until the end. They need to get some experience when there's still enough time left in the game for the minutes to be meaningful.

Reaction Score

]

Tony, I liked every word. Some awful, homey, fouls. Bad calls. But I saw bad calls in Uconn's favor too. That's all I can ask of refs---be stupid on both ends. That is as fair as I can hope!

Too agree the Bench needs to step up---but Geno has to step up and give them real game PT. You learn in practice--but it must be honed in real game PT. Texas played what 11 players ? Fresh legs all night. Uconn is in great conditioning, true. In any nip and tuck game--mental and physical exhaustion sets in. Uconn missed too many shots they normally make.
Without leaps and bounds, Coombs won't be ready this year, nor will Molly. Batouly--I fear may never produce good PT, I doubt seriously this year in any manner.
So--Tony--what has Geno got to relieve/back up the starting 7---(I'm including Z and Walker)???
It would appear the "invincible Uconn team" has feet of clay---DEPTH.
I agree--let us see what Tulsa and Temple brings---if we see more Bench PT--there may be a pot at rainbows end.
Z is and will be a high level contributor--but IMO must play closer to the basket on both ends---

Reaction Score
You’re right-on. Nothing like actual game experience.

Reaction Score
While she’s dragging around all that hardware on her legs, I tend to agree with you, but she’s the closest thing UConn has to a traditional post player, so I’ll just keep hoping that maybe she can give the Huskies some Natalie type minutes vs teams with big front lines.
I agree with Touly being the ONLY true post---but do you expect her to play any real minutes this year?
God and Geno knows he is very very very short in POSTS. REAL post. Z is a post in learning--a functioning wing. Use her in MOTION but stop the motion near the basket--she defends OK, has to learn to use her height and jump --flat footed she has issues--saying that--Azura Stevens is our best hope to another NC--without her--I doubt another FF.
I've posted we are 5 fouls away from disaster--last night the 5 came, no disaster, but close. . 2 more fouls (Kia/Gabby) disaster
Excuse my over the top stuff on KIA---Kia NEVER EVER plays scared--her opposing players do.
Thanks Oldude for standing tall on KIA--. Gabby, Kia, KLS, Danger, Z, Collier (after a slow start) played hard and determined--they needed help from the bench--which didn't come.

Reaction Score
First of all and most importantly we pulled out a difficult road win against one of the better teams in the country.
Three of the six players I think played well and made strong contributions. CD made the big two foul shots to clinch it and is becoming better and better. KLS was very good and solid but through much of the fourth quarter she didn't get herself a shot. She's very good at not forcing things and playing within their system, but I was disappointed that she still doesn't seem to take over the game in crucial spots. This concerns me as we lost last year when the system struggled against a strong defensive, physical and athletic team and no one took hold. AZ continues to improve and by tournament time should be a real force. She's going for an outside player to a more balanced player with an inside game. Her shots were blocked a few times as she still doesn't always go up strong.
As to off games pertaining to the three remaining players. Kia plays her butt off every moment but it was clear to me when she's being closely guarded she cannot do much to create her own shot. If that's afraid or that's just who she is offensively remains to be seen. In the first half and a bit more, I thought Gabby was maybe experiencing migraines again as she wasn't herself. Of course she's a unique athlete but her shooting and fear of it, maybe the limitations she and we need to live with. Collier not only didn't shoot well, she too seemed out of sorts.
Of course someone or two of the rest need to step up and take some minutes and make some form of impact.
It was a really good win but shows again the weaknesses and the team and Geno, CD and the coaching staff have their work cut out for them.
So all in all, a very good win showing grit and determination but also much to be done.
Bronx23

I agree and like MOST of this post---I particularly like the KIA comments--thanks.
However--6 of the 6 players played hard and tough==they needed bench help that didn't come. No dig on those who played--Im proud of them, I made comments about Z's play, but that was no dig on Z she playes as she was told or as she learned---shes a converted Wing not a Post--with only a few games in that mode---
I fear those of us who expect Geno to change are going to be disappointed. The bench will not get PT in any game until Geno thinks they should.

Reaction Score
Before Louisville, I would worry about SC if Wilson is 100%. Just as tough a place to play
I'm less worried about USC---when Z is playing D --and making the effort to score (she scores)--she can slow Aja just enough-she does not need to stop her. Uconn as a team needs to stop the other 4 on USC74

Louisville appears to be deeper and has proven fire power. They are more a helter skelter type of team that gives Uconn fits.

Reaction Score
This is pretty much my take on the game, too. I'll add two things: On offense Kia played scared for most of the second half, which surprised and disappointed me. Making 17 straight free throws (until Lou missed her two) is really what kept us in this game, allowing our Huskies the opportunity to grind it out at the end.

I was happy to see how pleased Geno was that his team was able to close this game in a hostile environment when they clearly didn't have their best stuff. Good and useful tone for the head coach as a take away.

How can anyone who calls themselves a Canuck--disparage KIA. Can you believe anything short of a facing a live bear would create fear in KIa? I saw no fear. What you may have seen --is "we've never faced this situation before" how do we dig ourselves out. She did, they did.
Texas watched Uconn's close games--how do you beat uconn? take the foul but don't let them score, play ragged/helter skelter--lucky and to their credit Texas scored early and often and easily--Uconn GAVE them shots Uconn expected them to miss--they didn't.
Geno was wrong--Uconn had their best stuff--it just wasn't working--Texas took that all away--Uconn has to practice a PLAN B when the good stuff isn't working.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom