Westworld | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Westworld

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Just watched last weeks episode and tonight's hasn't started yet. Man, that was one dark episode, but it did tie up lots of loose ends. Seems like a race to who can get to the Forge first to win. As someone mentioned above, I don't know how they get to a season 3.

Reaction Score
Just watched last weeks episode and tonight's hasn't started yet. Man, that was one dark episode, but it did tie up lots of loose ends. Seems like a race to who can get to the Forge first to win. As someone mentioned above, I don't know how they get to a season 3.
Yeah I'm pumped for tonight but also feeling a bit of trepidation re: season 3.

Reaction Score
Have ratings been good enough to justify a S3?
HBO usually doesn't care about ratings *that* much, but I don't think they've met expectations.

They gave The Leftovers (one of the most underwatched shows of all time, IMO) 3 seasons. If Westworld has a compelling story lined up, they'll probably greenlight it.

Reaction Score
Ah, the Leftovers, what a screwed up little gem of a show. That junk was bonkers and so good.
It was some of the most unique TV I've ever seen.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Have ratings been good enough to justify a S3?
First season averaged 1.78M viewers through 9 episodes, 2nd season is at 1.58M through 9. The numbers are better than other things that have been renewed like Ballers (although season 3 has rebounded past season 1 for half the season and then tanked) and the last couple seasons of Silicone Valley.

If they manage to salvage a story line, it will get a season 3 without a doubt.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Here is an interview w/ Jonathan Nolan - I pasted the question pertaining to the post credit scene

'Westworld' showrunner explains those finale twists, hints at season 3 plan

Your Marvel-like post credits sequence with William and his daughter that brought us back to the horrifying James Delos fidelity apartment. My read was that Dolores printed out a version of the Man in Black and his daughter using the park’s secret guest data to leave them entombed in The Forge to do the fidelity test for all eternity and that scene takes place many years later. But that it doesn’t mean the Man in Black was a host previously or that he’s not still alive in the real world like we saw with him in the tent. Is that more or less how we should be interpreting this?

I’d agree with a lot of that. They do explicitly say they’re not in the system. And we do see the ruins of it. So that does suggest in that scene we are further in the future. We’d always said with this story we wanted to consider the beginning, middle and the end the of the emergence of a new form of life on Earth and we managed to cover a lot of those bases in this season.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Meh. The show seems too interested in trying to confuse and shock viewers than create good television. I'll probably watch season 3 but I'm losing my interest.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Meh. The show seems too interested in trying to confuse and shock viewers than create good television. I'll probably watch season 3 but I'm losing my interest.

Totally disagree. Episodes 7-9 were exceptional television, and 10 was pretty good. The season got a little off track when they went to Shogun World, but luckily that was a short lived diversion. I agree that it was challenging, but that is what makes it worth watching. I really enjoy shows that can get me to put my phone away for an hour and demand my attention, and this show does it every week. I don't think there was any desire to confuse the viewer, they just ask you to pay attention.

Reaction Score
I'd disagree. If you rewatch it, clues are always there. It's not like other shows or movies where there's a twist for no reason

Reaction Score
This season had moments of brilliance, but it lost me in the end. I guess I'd watch a season 3 if it happens, but I wont lose any sleep if it doesnt happen.

Reaction Score
That private army that was suppose to quell the host rebellion makes F-Troop look like Seal Team Six. It's the worst fighting force since Imperial Storm Troopers.

And no one ever explained why the host weapons that couldn't hurt humans suddenly killed everyone in sight.

And who attacks a cowboy fort in dune buggies? Don't they have armored vehicles in the future? Or even up armored HumVees?

And what about all the humans slaughtered, aren't their relatives interested in their whereabouts? "Hey, Doug never came back from that robot theme park. But let's not worry about it. I'm sure he's fine." Don't the merc army guys have wives and kids that expect them home for dinner? Nobody is overdue?

I enjoy the show but it has more loose ends than a Bean Fest.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Totally disagree. Episodes 7-9 were exceptional television, and 10 was pretty good. The season got a little off track when they went to Shogun World, but luckily that was a short lived diversion. I agree that it was challenging, but that is what makes it worth watching. I really enjoy shows that can get me to put my phone away for an hour and demand my attention, and this show does it every week. I don't think there was any desire to confuse the viewer, they just ask you to pay attention.

Eh. I think it would have been better if they were a little clearer with each timeline. Whenever a Bernard scene started, it would take me half the scene just to figure out when the scene takes place compared to everything else in the episode because it jumped around so much. Bernard is with the Delos team, now he's with Elsie, now he's having an imaginary conversation with Ford. Everyone in this scenes know he's a robot...now here's a scene five minutes later where he's with Charlotte and she thinks he's human. I could keep up during the specific scene I was watching, but because of the jumping timelines I couldn't attribute specific characters' motivations to each timeline. When is Bernard walking around with ghost Ford? What is he trying to accomplish in that timeline? Now two scenes later he's in a different timeline trying to accomplish something completely different. I like shows that challenge the viewers, too, but a show where you have to keep notes and pause a scene at its beginning to review your notes to make sure your mindset is in the right place is a little too much for me.

"Is this now?" You tell me, Bernard, because I sure as hell don't know.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Eh. I think it would have been better if they were a little clearer with each timeline. Whenever a Bernard scene started, it would take me half the scene just to figure out when the scene takes place compared to everything else in the episode because it jumped around so much. Bernard is with the Delos team, now he's with Elsie, now he's having an imaginary conversation with Ford. Everyone in this scenes know he's a robot...now here's a scene five minutes later where he's with Charlotte and she thinks he's human. I could keep up during the specific scene I was watching, but because of the jumping timelines I couldn't attribute specific characters' motivations to each timeline. When is Bernard walking around with ghost Ford? What is he trying to accomplish in that timeline? Now two scenes later he's in a different timeline trying to accomplish something completely different. I like shows that challenge the viewers, too, but a show where you have to keep notes and pause a scene at its beginning to review your notes to make sure your mindset is in the right place is a little too much for me.

"Is this now?" You tell me, Bernard, because I sure as hell don't know.

I don't disagree that it this was the most difficult aspect of the season. Nolan compared it to Memento, and maybe an issue with doing this sort of story telling in the TV medium is that movies lend themselves to being re-watched more than TV. I get the criticism. I'm sure a second viewing would make the timelines more clear, but who has time for that? I felt that despite the uncertainty while watching, in the end the story was fairly clear about the general order Bernard did things in, and I don't think it would have worked as well if they told things in a completely linear manner. For me the question about when things were taking place never took away from the enjoyment of the show, especially during the payoff moments.

If you disliked this aspect Nolan said S3 would be told differently.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree that it this was the most difficult aspect of the season. Nolan compared it to Memento, and maybe an issue with doing this sort of story telling in the TV medium is that movies lend themselves to being re-watched more than TV. I get the criticism. I'm sure a second viewing would make the timelines more clear, but who has time for that? I felt that despite the uncertainty while watching, in the end the story was fairly clear about the general order Bernard did things in, and I don't think it would have worked as well if they told things in a completely linear manner. For me the question about when things were taking place never took away from the enjoyment of the show, especially during the payoff moments.
Well considering how long it takes them to come out with the show we probably have two years to rewatch it

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
For me the question about when things were taking place never took away from the enjoyment of the show, especially during the payoff moments.

It did take away from my enjoyment, because probably my favorite point of watching serialized TV shows is seeing how a character's experiences within the show affect their future decisions, or how they are affected by their past decisions. That's why having to keep a pieced together timeline to remember what Bernard has done up to the point of the current scene threw me off, because it took a lot of energy just to figure that out without then piecing together how his past experiences shaped what I was seeing on the screen.

Good to know that season 3 will be different.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Well considering how long it takes them to come out with the show we probably have two years to rewatch it

yeah he said 2020 is most likely.

Reaction Score
So Ed Harris shoots Delores in the face and the bullet bounces off, causing his gun to explode, and mangles his hand. A few minutes later, Bernard shoots Delores in the head, and she's dead. How does that work?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Lots of deep, interesting themes, but there were too many plot, timeline, and internal consistency problems. I liked the show more when it stayed with the hosts, understanding what is life and what is a video game. I liked Shogun World for that reason. That world has similar issues where the hosts were becoming sentient. Less interesting were the time jumps for Robot Revolution.

That is why Episode 8 was incredible, and Episode 10 was "meh".

Reaction Score
So Ed Harris shoots Delores in the face and the bullet bounces off, causing his gun to explode, and mangles his hand. A few minutes later, Bernard shoots Delores in the head, and she's dead. How does that work?
the bullet was damaged. she basically rigged the gun

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Interesting final episode and they definitely setup a season three which isn't guests going to the wild west, but host going to the 'real world.' I can see that. @Mots010 she took the spent slug from Teddy's head and loaded it into Williams (the man in black) gun so it would explode in his hand. You can certainly take exception for how many times he would fire before he had the gun at her head, but it didn't bounce off....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom