Westworld | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Westworld

Reaction Score
Those hosts are conscious . Proverbial gonna hit the fan real quick.
Yep. I thought this was going to be dragged out but I'm thinking there'll be some dead guests in episode 3.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I was clicking around and watched a couple of minutes of the first episode and thought it was a remake of the 70's movie so I recorded it on demand. When I went back to watch tonight, I realized it was a series and set the second episode to record which I haven't seen yet.

Back in the 70s when the movie was being made, my dads business was doing well and my dad was always looking for tax shelters. Back when you could invest $100 in a tax shelter business and write off $250 over several years because of the tax laws before they were revamped. My dad had invested in the company that made the eyes for the robots, so it had particular significance in my home. Not that is has any relevance to this thread but he also invested in poinsettia farms and RV rentals. Weird time. Anyhow, I wasn't allowed to see the movie back then because I was around 8 and as my dad explained, there were 'boobies' in the movie and it was R rated. At some point, I should try to see the original.

The first episode was very good and there are some interesting things, but I don't think this can have a very long run or it will just turn into junk like Lost or Under The Dome. Great concepts with a very limited story available for the long run. There's only so long you can have robots getting smarter or aware before it becomes ludicrous. Eventually one side has to prevail and you can't drag that out for years worth of episodes.

Reaction Score
I was clicking around and watched a couple of minutes of the first episode and thought it was a remake of the 70's movie so I recorded it on demand. When I went back to watch tonight, I realized it was a series and set the second episode to record which I haven't seen yet.

Back in the 70s when the movie was being made, my dads business was doing well and my dad was always looking for tax shelters. Back when you could invest $100 in a tax shelter business and write off $250 over several years because of the tax laws before they were revamped. My dad had invested in the company that made the eyes for the robots, so it had particular significance in my home. Not that is has any relevance to this thread but he also invested in poinsettia farms and RV rentals. Weird time. Anyhow, I wasn't allowed to see the movie back then because I was around 8 and as my dad explained, there were 'boobies' in the movie and it was R rated. At some point, I should try to see the original.

The first episode was very good and there are some interesting things, but I don't think this can have a very long run or it will just turn into junk like Lost or Under The Dome. Great concepts with a very limited story available for the long run. There's only so long you can have robots getting smarter or aware before it becomes ludicrous. Eventually one side has to prevail and you can't drag that out for years worth of episodes.

true, but the new Battlestar Galactica did it for a few years with the cylons.

Reaction Score
I'm officially sucked in. Second episode better than the first. Hopkins is great.

Reaction Score
I'll keep watching, but I'm not as sucked in as I would be with GoT, Mad Men or Dexter.

It just feels done before. It feels like Bladerunner, Terminator, I-Robot and a few others all rolled into one.

Super strong performances by the actors, and my connection to the Hosts is growing mostly because of the awful things that the people do to them.

Ed Harris's character hunting for the final level is the most compelling thing for me right now.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Yep. I thought this was going to be dragged out but I'm thinking there'll be some dead guests in episode 3.

I'm not sure how that would work, as it seems bullets seem to just bounce off guests. Not sure what a knife does. I guess they could get thrown off cliffs though.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Didn't know there was a movie. I'm gonna check it out. I'm mildly concerned it will spoil the show for me? Don't know how close they will follow to the movie or the original story.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I'll keep watching, but I'm not as sucked in as I would be with GoT, Mad Men or Dexter.

It just feels done before. It feels like Bladerunner, Terminator, I-Robot and a few others all rolled into one.

Super strong performances by the actors, and my connection to the Hosts is growing mostly because of the awful things that the people do to them.

Ed Harris's character hunting for the final level is the most compelling thing for me right now.
**embarrassed tech geek confession**

I haven't seen any of those movies, so it's the first time I'm seeing these themes explored in film. I should probably check them out for the context.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
**embarrassed tech geek confession**

I haven't seen any of those movies, so it's the first time I'm seeing these themes explored in film. I should probably check them out for the context.

Really? I can honestly ask that, if you are indeed a tech geek, how in the £-ck did that happen?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Really? I can honestly ask that, if you are indeed a tech geek, how in the £-ck did that happen?
lol I have enormous gaps in my movie viewing history. Star Wars is completely meh to me and I have no interest. Don't even ask about sports movies I've seen embarrassingly few.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Just checked Xfinity on demand and the original Westworld movie is available for free...

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Apologies to anyone with love for the original Westworld movie, but... woof. Let's just say the TV show is exploring the concept in a MUCH better manner.

Reaction Score
Apologies to anyone with love for the original Westworld movie, but... woof. Let's just say the TV show is exploring the concept in a MUCH better manner.

Movie was ahead of it's time in my opinion.

You haven't seen Terminator or Predator?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
lol I have enormous gaps in my movie viewing history. Star Wars is completely meh to me and I have no interest. Don't even ask about sports movies I've seen embarrassingly few.

Part of the novelty of these movies is their vision at the time they came out. I'm not sure Terminator would do much for you at this stage of the game, unless you can watch it and keep the perspective of someone watching it in 1984.

Think of William Gibson's Neuromancer. That book was amazing for the time it came out, but now might seem silly to some. You can still read it in that context and be amazed though.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

That's true. It's pretty hokey in 2016, but I'm sure it was a wild concept in 1973.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

Not all the way through on either, although Terminator is so ingrained in our culture that I kind of get the gist of it despite not really knowing the movie. I'll add it to the pile. Lol.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Westworld was the granddad on movies like the terminator, blade runner, predator, alien, jurassic park, and slasher movies like halloween.

The man in black character is a spoof of Yul Brenner's character in the Magnificent 7.

My understanding is the show is not a true remake. Some of the people/robot roles are flipped.

I think the maze is the new hatch, so I'm a bit wary of it becoming too "Lost-y"

The little Mexican girl stole the entire episode 2.

Reaction Score
Westworld was the granddad on movies like the terminator, blade runner, predator, alien, jurassic park, and slasher movies like halloween.

Is there an echo in the room?

Loved the movie. I didn't watch it until this summer. Without it we wouldn't have movies like "Terminator".

I thought the first episode was solid, and didn't really get going until the end.

At some point, end of the day I need to be convinced to give a hoot about robots.

The reason why I'm wary of "Lost" is because of J.J. Abrams who just can't seem to get off the reboot train.

Can't wait for the reboots of "Splash" and "Teen Wolf".

Reaction Score
Lost was excellent, excellent TV for 3 maybe 4 seasons.

They just wrote themselves into a knot they couldnt undo.

Zero Fs given when it comes to lost. But, I'll never rule it out. I started watching The Walking Dead in August.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Zero Fs given when it comes to lost. But, I'll never rule it out. I started watching The Walking Dead in August.

Now that is a show that I find to be just incredibly horrendous.

My wife loves it. I find it totally unwatchable. The first season or two were good I guess I watched with her, but then totally lost interest.

Lost is absolutely worth the time. I cant defend the tail off, but like I said the first few seasons are incredible TV.

Reaction Score

My wife loves it. I find it totally unwatchable. The first season or two were good I guess I watched with her, but then totally lost interest.

Lost is absolutely worth the time. I cant defend the tail off, but like I said the first few seasons are incredible TV.

I loved the first season or two, but I couldn't even watch the last few seasons, the show completely lost me (pardon the Lost pun) and I just stopped mid-stream.

Reaction Score

I really liked the first two seasons of TWD, but I am stalling on the third season. I am about to give up on it like I did with Breaking Bad.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom