Westworld | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Westworld

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I really liked the first two seasons of TWD, but I am stalling on the third season. I am about to give up on it like I did with Breaking Bad.

when did you give up on Breaking Bad?

Reaction Score
when did you give up on Breaking Bad?

It was so depressing and boring that I can't remember. New Mexico is even worse in person.

I went fly fishing in the San Juan River one year and hired a guide for half a day to show me around. He was Native American and a little younger than I was at the time, maybe late twenties. We hit it off, super cool guy, he gave me a box full of flies and we traded some gear at the end of the day. Easily one of the nicest guys I ever met and didn't seem like he would hurt a fly.

I was thinking of going back a few years ago and I couldn't find him... turned out he robbed a bank in Colorado to help pay for some of his disabled wife's medical expenses. I think he did like five years in jail. That's what I think of when I think of New Mexico. Sorry if that's TMI.

August_West

Reaction Score
It was so depressing and boring that I can't remember. New Mexico is even worse in person.

I went fly fishing in the San Juan River one year and hired a guide for half a day to show me around. He was Native American and a little younger than I was at the time, maybe late twenties. We hit it off, super cool guy, he gave me a box full of flies and we traded some gear at the end of the day. Easily one of the nicest guys I ever met and didn't seem like he would hurt a fly.

I was thinking of going back a few years ago and I couldn't find him... turned out he robbed a bank in Colorado to help pay for some of his disabled wife's medical expenses. I think he did like five years in jail. That's what I think of when I think of New Mexico. Sorry if that's TMI.

Breaking bad is worth the watch the entire way through (season 3 and 4 being the high water) , that being said there are big parts of that where I agree with you.

Its why I get incredulous when people mention it in the same breath as the wire and the sopranos. Its good, but its not that level good.

Reaction Score
Breaking bad is worth the watch the entire way through (season 3 and 4 being the high water) , that being said there are big parts of that where I agree with you.

Its why I get incredulous when people mention it in the same breath as the wire and the sopranos. Its good, but its not that level good.

The Wire and The Sopranos were greatness. But even the Sopranos and Mad Men had some real dead spots. But like Mad Men which I loved and is my all time favorite, I'm thinking that Breaking Bad isn't for everyone.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Fast forward any time Walt is alone with either his wife, son or sister in law or any combination of the three.

Improves watchability by 50% especially if you are binge watching.

August_West

Reaction Score
Fast forward any time Walt is alone with either his wife, son or sister in law or any combination of the three.

Improves watchability by 50% especially if you are binge watching.

thats exactly right. Couldnt have said it better.

90 percent of Skyler and 100% of Walter Jr. scenes make me hate myself for watching.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Lost is absolutely worth the time. I cant defend the tail off, but like I said the first few seasons are incredible TV.

The problem with Lost is, given the concept, the ending is an incredibly important feature. For a lot of shows, the ending is merely a neat wrapping of a great story. But so much of Lost's plot and character development hinged on the overall reveal. And it sucked. Hard.

I'm still (painfully) sticking with The Walking Dead. I refuse to yield at this point. At least until some of the main characters I despise so much are killed off.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

And those people will defend it to the death!

My big beef with the show, is that for a large part of it, the only ace up Vince Gilligan's sleeve was 'the unusual plot twist". It's like he kept trying to outdo himself getting the audience to go "OH MY GOD!!!!!" every few episodes. The plot wasn't often actually enhanced.

I'm happy he kept the 'Alien Arrival' card in his back pocket. Though I'm certain he wanted to use it.

August_West

Reaction Score
And those people will defend it to the death!

My big beef with the show, is that for a large part of it, the only ace up Vince Gilligan's sleeve was 'the unusual plot twist". It's like he kept trying to outdo himself getting the audience to go "OH MY GOD!!!!!" every few episodes. The plot wasn't often actually enhanced.

I'm happy he kept the 'Alien Arrival' card in his back pocket. Though I'm certain he wanted to use it.

The acting by Cranston is masterful.

They show kinda played out like the Drug its about. Meth. A huge rush on first use. Lotsa what the hell cliffhangers and plot twists.

it was exhilarating. But wore off quickly. Breaking bad really does not wear well on repeated viewings. Not because the writing was bad or the acting was bad, but because its just not that kind of show.

The Wire you can watch all the way through dozens of times and still pick stuff up. It is that dense. The sopranos too has serious rewatch value but for different reason.

But the drawback of breaking bads exhiliration is that (especially on repeated watch) you realize just how much wasted time was there (as subba alluded to)

Reaction Score

They show kinda played out like the Drug its about. Meth. A huge rush on first use. Lotsa what the hell cliffhangers and plot twists.

it was exhilarating. But wore off quickly. Breaking bad really does not wear well on repeated viewings. Not because the writing was bad or the acting was bad, but because its just not that kind of show.

The Wire you can watch all the way through dozens of times and still pick stuff up. It is that dense. The sopranos too has serious rewatch value but for different reason.

But the drawback of breaking bads exhiliration is that (especially on repeated watch) you realize just how much wasted time was there (as subba alluded to)

For my money, the show that has the best rewatchability was Arrested Development. I've seen the whole series 3-4 times through and I still pick up on the wacky foreshadowing.

Reaction Score
For my money, the show that has the best rewatchability was Arrested Development. I've seen the whole series 3-4 times through and I still pick up on the wacky foreshadowing.
I can watch the same Archer episode three times in a row and laugh just as hard every time

I couldn't tell you how many times I've watched Honeypot, Lo Scandalo, or his battle with cancer.

Reaction Score
I can watch the same Archer episode three times in a row and laugh just as hard every time

I couldn't tell you how many times I've watched Honeypot, Lo Scandalo, or his battle with cancer.

There is some crossover between Archer and Arrested Development with actors and I am betting writers as well.

Reaction Score
There is some crossover between Archer and Arrested Development with actors and I am betting writers as well.
Absolutely re: writers. The joke style is very similar

Actually if you recall Popeye showing up in a couple early episodes, thats Clarke Peters (Lester Freamon from The Wire) makig a couple appearances

Reaction Score
Spoiler Alert......
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the guy Dolores shot tonight was a guest and not a host?

Reaction Score
Spoiler Alert.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the guy Dolores shot tonight was a guest and not a host?
Incorrect,
he's actually been a host since day 1. If you're referring to the guy in the barn. Guests were shooting at her after she killed him, however. [\spoiler]

Reaction Score
The problem with Lost is, given the concept, the ending is an incredibly important feature. For a lot of shows, the ending is merely a neat wrapping of a great story. But so much of Lost's plot and character development hinged on the overall reveal. And it sucked. Hard.

I'm still (painfully) sticking with The Walking Dead. I refuse to yield at this point. At least until some of the main characters I despise so much are killed off.

Yeah, I cut bait before last season. Please drop me a line to let me know when Glen gets eaten alive.

Reaction Score

I realize this is like discussing Beethoven vs Bach, but I have Breaking Bad above the Sopranos. I gave up on BB maybe 6 episodes in and someone at work made me commit to watching the entire first season. Glad I did. I felt like the show built to a perfect crescendo through 4 seasons, then masterfully tied up the entire story in season 5. And, Cranston's performance alone, would bump it a notch over Sopranos for me.

Agreed on Walter Jr. I can't tell you how badly I'd cringe when Skyler called him "Flynn".
I actually had a little thing for Skyler at times. Sue me.

Reaction Score
I fell asleep in the James Marsden shootout at night. What did I miss?

Reaction Score
So I guess it's confirmed. Everything about the Westworld Park is engineered. Do we have any idea when in the future this show takes place?

The Man in Black seems to be the only guest who realizes that the ultimate ride exists. There is a maze, said maze was once stenciled underneath the scalp of at least one host. Bernard also gave the maze to Delores, so I'm thinking that he already gave it out once to someone else, or Arnold was the last one to do so.

Bernard is the new Arnold, whoever Arnold was. He lost a child and now seems to be playing both sides because hosts like Delores are surrogate children to him.

Dr. Robert Ford. I can't help that this name isn't a coincidence, a person of the same name killed Jesse James (remember that boring Brad Pitt movie ?), a character from the real wild west. He has a god complex, but he said before that hosts didn't do anything that we didn't tell them to do. Either he doesn't believe that or something much bigger is afoot, because why would a God want to lord over a bunch of non-sentients. Which might mean that this whole brewing crisis is in fact being engineered on purpose.

And what about the figures? Hector tells Maeve that they are "Shades". Which is really interesting to me because that's a word straight out of greek mythology(ghosts from the underworld). Where would the hosts even get that word unless it was programmed into them? Why would the Native American hosts even come up that name, that word would be "native" to their own simulated culture. The vague awareness of these Westworld technicians and calling them Shades must be intentional. So this must all be part of Dr. Ford's meta game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom