Westbrook to.... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Westbrook to....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Lady Vols have had some nice pick ups after last year's failures. I would think that some of the recruits could look at that roster and see where they would get almost immediate playing time in one of the best facilities in the country with fan and department support that rivals only a few others program even with a relative lack of big time success the last few years.

TN is still a significant program. Yes, the stock has slipped for a variety of reasons, but it is by no means a bottom feeder. Several others have joined the party as top places and that's good for the game. Recruits seem congregate at a few places in hopes of winning a title or playing with the best. That's fine and good but I would hope to see a few other programs inherit some of this talent. The rosters at a few places are going to be loaded for a few years and it may mean some of these underclassmen players who are highly ranked may have to look a few other places for roster spots.

Tennessee has always gotten the key recruits even when they were "o for everything" this year and had to scramble to get a couple of late recruits from alternative sources....

I have thought that in the Holly era, Tennessee has been a place for incoming talented players who want to play with a loose reign ..... either that or it is the coaching staff that gives them that free reign..... there doesn't seem to be a consistent system employed, which may be related to the up and down in game success.... seldom have i seen them play a solid 40 minutes straight. Also there seems to be no penalty for unforced errors or turnovers..... immensely talented Diamond DeShields led the team in TOs last year.... players too often are run and gun

Hope for their sake that Holly "comes into her own" after 30 plus years, or clear her out..... TN's talent is too great not to have it harnessed and channeled properly.

Reaction Score
Dont compare UConn players with any others, imo there is no comparison. Those who come to UConn come for a reason. That reason is they are willing to give up the way it is to get better. They are willing to become part of a team that runs on discipline, commitment, and compassion. They are willing to do whatever it takes and it aint easy at UConn under Geno. Sure other teams work hard, but not like UConn. UConn is different and for those few who are willing to pay the price in advance without any guarantees this is the place that makes it happen.

I agree Tony. UConn preseason #3? I wouldn't bet a dollar against them including vs #1 or 2. The program funnels all it does through the cauldron of hard work and dedication to the team concepts to mix my metaphors a bit...... in WCBB, it all comes down to coaching.... and fostering an environment where a #34 Kelly Faris or a #39 Stefanie Dolson can shine amongst the big guys in the sport.... Viva la Huskies, and for 16-17 season, Bon Apetit!!

Reaction Score
I recall some here said similar things when Diamond was thought to be headed to UConn. Regardless, the jury is out. She had a MAJOR leg injury/surgery. Finally healthy.
Yeah... I'm not buying it. Tuck was always not 100% because of her injuries, look at her body of work. She brought it every night, pain or no pain, and she had MAJOR leg injury/surgery.

JS

Reaction Score
And Angie Bjorklund was better than Maya. ;)

KittyWho.png

Surprised you don't remember her.

Maya played at UConn during the Bjorklund era.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Tennessee has always gotten the key recruits even when they were "o for everything" this year and had to scramble to get a couple of late recruits from alternative sources....

I have thought that in the Holly era, Tennessee has been a place for incoming talented players who want to play with a loose reign ..... either that or it is the coaching staff that gives them that free reign..... there doesn't seem to be a consistent system employed, which may be related to the up and down in game success.... seldom have i seen them play a solid 40 minutes straight. Also there seems to be no penalty for unforced errors or turnovers..... immensely talented Diamond DeShields led the team in TOs last year.... players too often are run and gun

Hope for their sake that Holly "comes into her own" after 30 plus years, or clear her out..... TN's talent is too great not to have it harnessed and channeled properly.
I actually think TN is not a destination for those who want a loose rein - discipline and the dog house have been a staple of TN from Pat's era and I believe Holly and staff have continued. What I do see from the end of Pat through Holly is a desperation for offensive production because the offensive system has never been particularly adept at creating good shots consistently as defensive players have become better and the systems more sophisticated. That desperation has allowed for some 'gunners' to get more playing time, but DD for example was benched for stretches of last season which is a sign of 'discipline'.

NB - I would say that offensive desperation has been a trait of a number of SEC teams - some has to do with officiating being more tilted toward defenders than other conferences, some is the result of offensive systems, some of player skill (as opposed to athleticism.)

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Congrats to our LV fans on this board. Put me down for shocked on this one :eek:!!

I thought it was going to be between Maryland/ Oregon State/ Southern Cal...

HW must have made a hard push. Good for her.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Yeah..... its amazing that no McCallie coached players at Duke have ever made a WNBA roster or have played overseas :rolleyes:

They make good draft picks as McCallie makes them look worse than they really are when they are in college.

Reaction Score
I actually think TN is not a destination for those who want a loose rein - discipline and the dog house have been a staple of TN from Pat's era and I believe Holly and staff have continued. What I do see from the end of Pat through Holly is a desperation for offensive production because the offensive system has never been particularly adept at creating good shots consistently as defensive players have become better and the systems more sophisticated. That desperation has allowed for some 'gunners' to get more playing time, but DD for example was benched for stretches of last season which is a sign of 'discipline'.

NB - I would say that offensive desperation has been a trait of a number of SEC teams - some has to do with officiating being more tilted toward defenders than other conferences, some is the result of offensive systems, some of player skill (as opposed to athleticism.)

Ya maybe you are right.... I just get the feeling - not knowing anything about the inner workings of this team - is that practices are not that exacting or excruciating,... so as to push peeps to their limits physically and mentally..... my free rein comment... it just seems that recruits know that they will not be tested to 100% of their ability. if the guards want to take the ball down the court and shoot it, so be it,.... if DD wants to try a difficult maneuver and loses the ball that is OK too.... nobody is going to be called on the carpet.... uh so to speak.... it just seems like a tolerant environment

Reaction Score
Congrats to our LV fans on this board. Put me down for shocked on this one :eek:!!

I thought it was going to be between Maryland/ Oregon State/ Southern Cal...

HW must have made a hard push. Good for her.

How can you be from Oregon and not want to help build Scott's Oregon State program?

TN must have the magic Oregon connection feeding them....

Scott will keep recruiting the west coast and Canada for the hidden gems.... His program has come a long way from nothing 6 yrs ago

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
How can you be from Oregon and not want to help build Scott's Oregon State program?

TN must have the magic Oregon connection feeding them....

Scott will keep recruiting the west coast and Canada for the hidden gems.... His program has come a long way from nothing 6 yrs ago

Yep! I would have loved seeing her at Oregon State!

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Yeah... I'm not buying it. Tuck was always not 100% because of her injuries, look at her body of work. She brought it every night, pain or no pain, and she had MAJOR leg injury/surgery.
Well based on the Carson Newman game. Diamond looked more healthy than last year. I think her full game was on display.

Reaction Score
Well based on the Carson Newman game. Diamond looked more healthy than last year. I think her full game was on display.
I was referring to the fact that the other poster was using injury as an excuse. Tuck played less than 100% most of her time at UCONN, yet she was able to go hard at all times, regardless of pain, circumstances, etc. Diamond may have been less healthy last year, but she didn't give 100% effort. It's more about effort. You shouldn't be labeled as a great player if you don't have effort.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
what was her stat line?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I was referring to the fact that the other poster was using injury as an excuse. Tuck played less than 100% most of her time at UCONN, yet she was able to go hard at all times, regardless of pain, circumstances, etc. Diamond may have been less healthy last year, but she didn't give 100% effort. It's more about effort. You shouldn't be labeled as a great player if you don't have effort.
nah, depends on your injury... and tuck wasnt a fast running, high jumping jumpshooter like Diamond... their "go hards" are different. I know we see "facial expressions" etc. and may want to add that to the lack of effort but no 2 people are alike.

yeah yeah yeah UConn won 4 Championships in a row, bottom line... lets enjoy that

Reaction Score
I would like to congratulate Westbrook for joining Tennessee's fabulous guard development program and wish her many happy sweet 16s and some Elite 8s.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I don't mean to trash Angie. She started off as a good player, but then had some injuries and found herself in Pat's doghouse. But there really were LV fans who thought she would be comparable to Maya. Maya was the best freshman I've ever seen and on the short list of the best collegians ever. In my view, there was no comparison to anyone in her class, even the #2 rated player. The LV fans were overly optimistic (or delusional).

Regarding Westbrook, I haven't seen much video of her. I take the HG and ASGR ratings as saying that she and Megan are very comparable. I think Geno's coaching will make Megan an icon. It will be interesting to see their careers develop. It's clear that the LVs got a very good player. Does anyone know why Geno didn't recruit Evina?

Reaction Score
Does anyone know why Geno didn't recruit Evina?

Ans 1:

Sure Geno knows why Geno didn't recruit Evina. CD and the other coaches too.

Ans 2:

Geno did not recruit Evina so that she could join Tennessee's fabulous guard development program.

Ans 3:

After Geno coached Sue Bird and DT and won 3 championships, several top guards gave UCONN a wide berth.
We just have won 4 NCs in a row with Mo Jeff in charge. A new set of Waners has arrived and Westbrook may be one of them.

Last edited:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Regarding Westbrook, I haven't seen much video of her. I take the HG and ASGR ratings as saying that she and Megan are very comparable. I think Geno's coaching will make Megan an icon. It will be interesting to see their careers develop. It's clear that the LVs got a very good player. Does anyone know why Geno didn't recruit Evina?
he backed off... cause she has an attitude like Boothe :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22