We're not in Kansas anymore Post Game Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

We're not in Kansas anymore Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Few Thoughts:
*Had an issue with the refs calling everything on UConn when a KU player was going to the basket clearly pushing off
*Some of those UConn turnovers were a real head scratcher
*As long as Paige can play we have a chance. I'm just worried that the beating she takes every game will be hard for her to get over. 2 points in the first half (foul troubles) and 20 in the second.
*Aubrey: a great game and probably the reason we won this game. which she could make a shot from mid-range or 3.
*Nika: was her usual tough player and all in all a solid game but we need more from her.
*AE: continues to be inconsistent. Hope she's ok for the next game as that hit she took looked nasty.
*Ice: at this point she doesn't have good hands and is not a good defender against height. I wished Geno would have put Amari in earlier.
*Amari: did ok in those few min. she played till she got hit in the face.
*KK: had an ok game but as long as she will not be able to hit mid range shots, she is not difficult to guard at this level,
*Shade: At times looked good and at times looked like a freshman with some strange passes that became turnovers. She is one that can actually hit mid-range shots.
*Q: Had 1 good shot (the only UConn 3 aside then Paige's 3's) but in general played like a freshman.
*It's great that the new players (Ice, KK, Shade and Q) are getting minutes as hopefully this experience will bring with it a faster learning curb.
*a win is a win but i miss the good old days :( where i think basically any UConn team of the last 20 years would have beaten this KU team by over 20 points.

Reaction Score
39 fouls called with 45 free throws. It was a sloppy game, but these refs called every bit of contact
Even breathing for UConn. Kansas was free to do as they pleased and game on.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Few Thoughts:
*Had an issue with the refs calling everything on UConn when a KU player was going to the basket clearly pushing off
*As long as Paige can play we have a chance. I'm just worried that the beating she takes every game will be hard for her to get over. 2 points in the first half (foul troubles) and 20 in the second.
*Aubrey: a great game and probably the reason we won this game. which she could make a shot from mid-range or 3.
*Nika: was her usual tough player and all in all a solid game but we need more from her.
*AE: continues to be inconsistent. Hope she's ok for the next game as that hit she took looked nasty.
*Ice: at this point she doesn't have good hands and is not a good defender against height. I wished Geno would have put Amari in earlier.
*KK: had an ok game but as long as she will not be able to hit mid range shots, she is not difficult to guard at this level,
*Shade: At times looked good and at times looked like a freshman with some strange passes that became turnovers. She is one that can actually hit mid-range shots.
*Q: Had 1 good shot (the only UConn 3 aside then Paige's 3's) but in general played like a freshman.
*It's great that the new players (Ice, KK, Shade and Q) are getting minutes as hopefully this experience will bring with it a faster learning curb.
*a win is a win but i miss the good old days :( where i think basically any UConn team of the last 20 years would have beaten this KU team by over 20 points.
I like your game synopsis.
I am really hoping that the refs will start treating Paige like they do other "star players", which means protecting them from getting cheap shots taken at them. I am not gonna name names, and getting in debates, but it seems that some players get special treatment from refs...like always. I am referring to current stars and past stars.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Hmmm...interesting game. The first half...UConn was offensively challenged...they couldn't buy a bucket...no threes in the first half. It appears that the harder they work on their defense the less efficient their offense is. The old UConn axiom of "defense leads to offense" isn't paying dividends yet. Of course, we need UConn to continue to focus on their defense...because with the lack of height in the middle and the inability to stop the opposing team's big...we will need a concerted team effort on defense. Jackson is unstoppable for one player...Edwards couldn't do it, Ice isn't ready to do it yet and I am not sure if Amari will ever be able to do it. Last year we had Dorka and Edwards...the two of them were able to stop the other team's bigs... In the absence of Dorka this year and the inexperience of Ice...we need another defensive strategy.

Paige is truly incredible and we are blessed to be able to watch her play...I hope she stays healthy because whether we win or lose having her on the court is so incredibly entertaining...she is a generational player. I am not going to hold my breath in expecting another year out of her...if the injuries of the past two years have taught us anything...it brings to light that for players like Paige, you have to take the opportunities presented to them when they come. Azzi's injury pretty much put the damper on my driving desire to see these two young ladies play with each other on the court. By the way, if anyone doubts the authenticity of Paige being a generational player all one has to do is to look at that five-point explosion in the 4th quarter...Paige goes off for 5 points in about 3 seconds of play...crazy. But, with all of Paige's heroics...she can't be expected to do it all herself...she needs help.

We are going to need Aaliyah Ewards to snap out of the funk she is in...I mean she quietly fell just short of a double-double but, we all know that she is capable of so much more...in my opinion, Edwards is a 20 / 10 player night after night...we need her to be that player going forward. Ice cannot keep missing those bunnies under the basket...those have to be automatic...we need to be able to depend on her for those...if she starts making them she will start drawing more fouls and get us more "and ones". Amari is a huge disappointment for me...as I don't have high expectations...I just want Amari to be able to give us 5-6 quality minutes per game... And, lastly when it comes to our front court...I can't wait for Patterson to be eligible to play...it gives us another athletic big body...Production-wise I don't expect much but a good quality 7-10 minutes...would be really helpful.

Sweet Caroline oh..oh...oh we need you. I hope whatever she is dealing with will benefit from the next 10 days off. I still have visions of her carrying UConn when Paige and Azzi went down last season.

I am amazed at the "green light" that Ice, KK, Samuels, and Shade apparently have...I don't remember Geno giving so much freedom and latitude to our freshmen. I think it is a great thing and that it will make us a better basketball team in March...so kudos to Geno and his staff for having the confidence they have in our freshmen class. That being said...I would love to see both Shade and Samuels emerge as dependable three-point shooters...this will take the pressure off our bigs. KK just needs to keep doing what she is doing...she is going to be special!

Nika Mulh, even though she stuffed the stats with 6 pts,7 Rebees, and 6 assists, still doesn't shoot enough...she needs to make the defense respect her shot...they will play up on her and give her more opportunities to drive the basket...additionally, when you take two lay-ups and one 3 point shot in a game...there is no opportunity to get into an offensive rhythm. We know that she is capable of scoring double figures...she has done it many times...with Azzi out it is all women on deck.

I saved Aubrey for last...I love this kid...she has the heart of a lion. It isn't enough to be athletic, you have to be able to deploy that athleticism effectively. When Aubrey is aggressive she does just that and she is a force to be reckoned with...and is one more player that defenses have to shift over to cover making it easier on Paige and others to get open looks. In the absence of Azzi, the medical uncertainty of Ducharme, the inconsistency of Edwards, and the relative inexperience of our freshmen I believe that Aubrey is the key to our success this season. It should be pointed out that Aubrey missed an entire season after having spinal surgery...who could forget those horrific photos of her in the hospital and her rehabbing so she could play again...this kid has come a long way and I am extremely happy for the success that she is having.

I think UConn needed this game after the stink bomb they laid in the UCLA game...their response was pretty good, not great but, it will do...they have work to do...they have 10 days off...time to heal, time to work on some things...because we got a lot of season left.

Color me optimistic...not at Tonyc levels but nevertheless, I am feeling pretty good about this squad.

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Few Thoughts:
Missing the 2 best players in the junior class, Edwards gets injured, two “bigs” in Patterson and El Afy not available, i don’t know what people expect with 4 decent freshmen having to have a generally greater role than planned, what is reasonable to expect.this early in the season.

Reaction Score
I miss those good old days too. :(

Reaction Score
In the end we got the W and I'll take that.

It strikes me that Geno has seen enough of this team to get a pretty good idea of what he has. The team and individual players will hopefully get better as the season unfolds but Geno has seen so many player developmental trajectories that he has a good feel for what the ceilings are over this year.

Geno has to decide sooner than later how he wants to structure the team. Any plans he had before Azzi went down and CD showed her injury problems continue are out the window. He needs to decide on a new starting five and who comes off the bench and for how long. I'd think he has already largely made that decision. The starters, whoever they may be, need to play their way into a unit that knows everyone's tendencies and can work together well. The subs (and starters) need to know what it is they are best suited to do while on the court and what the coaches expectations are. Assuming no more injuries, admittedly a big assumption, I think the team will look much better by the half mark of the season.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
As @and one says above, "Geno has to decide sooner than later how he wants to structure the team. Any plans he had before Azzi went down and [Caroline] showed her injury problems continue are out the window."

That is unfortunately true. The specific implication is that without those players, both of whom were projected to be starters, at least one "first-year player" (a term meant to include Ice as well as the freshmen) will have to be in the starting lineup. Moreover, the first three players off the bench will all be first-year players. The overall effect is that the team's fortunes will be far more dependent on the performance of the first-year players than Geno and the other coaches ever expected at the beginning of the season.

So far, Geno has experimented with KK and Ashlynn as the 5th starter along with the experienced corps of Aaliyah, Aubrey, Nika, and Paige. I hope he will soon give Ice a chance to fill that role, because I think a second big is really needed in the starting lineup against top-level teams. Moreover, I think Ice has shown promise in her pay thus far, although certainly her shooting still leaves a lot to be desired. I'm assuming that this is nervous jitters, and I remember that major offensive players such as KLS and Anna Makurat (remember "0-for-America"?) have suffered from that in the early games of their first year in Storrs. Apart from scoring, I don't think Ice's play can be seriously faulted, and she certainly provides an intimidating presence in the paint and on the boards that the team sorely needs.

This will work better when Ayanna returns and can be the first big off the bench. I hope that happens soon.

By the way, although the team is now 4-2, its two losses are to NC State and UCLA, and I don't believe either of those teams has lost yet, despite playing some pretty good competition. UConn does not have any "bad losses" on its resume, and if that continues, it will have a successful season.

Reaction Score
A win a win guys. With that being said, Geno knew what he was doing when he and his staff created this 2023-24 schedule. I think there are a plethora of lessons that both the coaches and players will learn from in relation to these past 6 games of the season. The azzi injury was definitely not expected, but this team is used to these circumstances unfortunately.

My unprofessional suggestion would be to have KK start over Nika. As much as I looovvee Nika's game and hustle, KK's energy on the back court is much needed this season. Aalyah has to play with more hunger because she is soo talented. I'm not sure about Caroline's status, but Q is a pretty good replacement. I want Q to drive more to the basket because defenses will soon know that she is a shooter. Ice, who also is super talented, needs to drive to the basket with absolute authority and passion. Our biggest issue this season will be our weakness in the front court because no one wants to dominate down there, everyone just wants to shoot.

Overall, Uconn will have many lessons this season, but I still believe come tournament time, they will find their identity. Also, I'm really starting to question the strength and conditioning person for these ladies, but that's a whole other story for another time.

Reaction Score
Paige realized early on that she had to carry this team and that was the difference. She decided in that third quarter that UConn would win so they did. Aubrey did her part to make sure of that as well.

Onward, but this is a good win against a gritty Kansas team.

Reaction Score
1--- The last 3 games Nika is averaging a bit over 35 minutes. That's too many.
2--- The team needs a very good Caroline.
3--- The team could also use a healthy Ayannna. If healthy, UCONN gets another freak athlete in the paint.
4--- The team needs Ice to score more that 3 total points on 1-11 shooting through 2 games.

Everything above could be without much with the exception of #2 which appears not likely at all.

Reaction Score
I think you got it right. A lot of work to do but the team needs to stay together now and keep playing at a competent UConn-ish manner, pretty or not, to keep the spirit and attitude up during the development process. That work can get done with the very very good talent available. You heard it here first ;): this team will be final four capable, then who can say.
This team, at present is so far from having any chance at a Final Four berth! At this point, we should just worry about improving incrementally as we go through the season. Right now I’m not convinced we even get to the second weekend! However, we still have talent and we have Paige! She is an asset whose value cannot be overestimated! We need to be good enough to keep games against the better teams close. If we can just do that, Paige gives us a weapon that very few other teams will be able to match. She is probably the best closer in the country!
Geno has to channel his 1986/87 self and rebuild this team from the ground up. If we can stay healthy, if Aaliyah can extricate herself from this slump/funk she’s currently in, and Geno can somehow get these kids to play up to their talent level, Paige, Aubrey, Aaliyah and Nika might be able to lead this ragtag team to something far beyond what they look like now! I’m actually kind of excited to see it!

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I'm glad to get away from this tournament, as the team looked so disorganized in both games. I also wanted to thank my wife who talked me out of killing myself from watching those Cayman commercials over and over and over and over and over...............................
By the way, where is the nearest Smoothie King?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Most years, coaches go through a feeling out process to figure out their starting lineup and rotation off the bench. One of the reasons some coaches play a cupcake schedule, like Kim Mulkey, is that it gives you time to work through that process while still racking up W’s.

That’s never been Geno’s style. For the youngsters, this is a trial by fire. The absence of Azzi, Caroline?, etc. have exacerbated the situation. The good news is that come tournament time, UConn usually has it figured out.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I am amazed at the "green light" that Ice, KK, Samuels, and Shade apparently have...I don't remember Geno giving so much freedom and latitude to our freshmen. I think it is a great thing and that it will make us a better basketball team in March...so kudos to Geno and his staff for having the confidence they have in our freshmen class. That being said...I would love to see both Shade and Samuels emerge as dependable three-point shooters...this will take the pressure off our bigs. KK just needs to keep doing what she is doing...she is going to be special!
Hub and I were discussing similar thoughts re the freshmen. Perhaps it's a combo of seeing a lot of "real" play in Europe, or maybe after last season, Geno realized that he should play the youngins more at the beginning of the season, result be dammed, so that if there are challenges due to injuries, etc, they will have game experience under their belts. Last year, in the 8-9th game, Inès was put into a significant role vs Princeton and the starting lineup vs MD, as there weren't any guards left due to injury.
Nika Mulh, even though she stuffed the stats with 6 pts,7 Rebees, and 6 assists, still doesn't shoot enough...she needs to make the defense respect her shot...they will play up on her and give her more opportunities to drive the basket...additionally, when you take two lay-ups and one 3 point shot in a game...there is no opportunity to get into an offensive rhythm. We know that she is capable of scoring double figures...she has done it many times...with Azzi out it is all women on deck.
Nika was an enigma to us until last night, when we were talking about starting lineups and who meshed well with whom. Starting Ashynn and bringing KK of the bench looked more balanced. The one pairing that I'm not sold on is Nika & Paige, who didn't play together in any games until this season, as Paige didn't get any time in the EU. I'm wondering if Nika has to "relearn" how to play with Paige again. This is in no way me pushing Nika to a non-starter role, just an observation. In 2021-22, Nika started after Paige's injury vs ND. She then came off the bench in Paige's 1st game back as a starter vs Providence. Then, in the BE tourney, Nika started but Paige didn't. Lastly, in the NCAA tourney, it was back to Paige starting and Nika off the bench. IMHO there's a difference in the way that Paige and Nika run the offense. Paige can run it and also improvise, where perhaps Nika is more textbook. Just some random thoughts.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
People are glossing over the fact Nika had 7 rebounds, 3 of them offensive. Aubrey (8, Aaliyah (7), and Nika (7) were the leading rebounders. After the disastrous rebounding effort against UCLA, Nika appeared ready to do what the team needed, and that included giving the team additional chances to score. She also had 6 assists that led to 12 points.

I know that scoring is important in the game, obviously, but Nika has become a pretty complete basketball player. She is doing a lot of things, big and small, that facilitate a win. A huge improvement from her freshman year.

Reaction Score
Note to freshman: when you are recruited by UCONN you expect to play, make the most of it.
Bring back AE's goggles.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom