We're at a LOW in the season, by Uconn standards | Page 2 | The Boneyard

We're at a LOW in the season, by Uconn standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Running on empty. That’s where we are right now. We don’t have the energy we had and we lack focus. Both imo caused by lack of energy which is a direct result of being tired. Being tired is a direct result of our injuries that have forced us to play more minutes then we should be playing and our schedule that hasn’t given us a break to rest. As I said in my thread. We need rest. Take 2 days off practice. It can’t hurt

Reaction Score
Well, they haven’t lost one this season yet.
Noted. They also haven't played a ton of ranked teams (2,17 and 15). Wish this game was at Gampel vs the XL Center.

Reaction Score
I am sure that we will see some interesting defense by UConn with Geno's preparation and counseling. If they keep up that intensity, the play will be exciting.

There is no doubt tha SC is a powerhouse. Yet, they are not perfect. If they have a poor night at shooting and get into foul trouble, UConn shooters may have an advantage if they are really on that night.

We shall see.
Stanford should have beaten SC but lost in overtime. Key to beating SC is getting rebounds, plus it helps having people who can score, which is a problem for us due to the injuries. But we do have Lou, Dorka and Aaliyah as primary scoring threats, and Aubrey and Nika have been putting up points too. Assuming the starters can stay out of foul trouble, Aubrey and Aaliyah and Dorka have to box out and also get & hold onto the rebounds, esp. defensive ones. Can’t match SC’s depth, so fatigue in 4th might be an issue. Hope Geno just has light workouts until the game so the squad can rest. And if Caroline can play, I’d let her have some minutes. Gotta keep the turnovers low too! I think Ayanna will get some minutes as a rebounder to give Dorka or Aaliyah some relief- not many, maybe to close out the half if a big has two fouls already.

Reaction Score

Everyone who has been demanding the bench play more, please read this. Our bench is a big drop off from our starters.

Last night we got extra rest for our starters, but the trade off was it being a close game. You can’t have it both ways. Demand we play the bench more, and still expect to still get a beautifully executed 25 point win.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Noted. They also haven't played a ton of ranked teams (2,17 and 15). Wish this game was at Gampel vs the XL Center.
Yep and they won all of them include a 25 point win vs Maryland. They may not be “unbeatable” but they are “ unbeaten.”

Reaction Score
Watching this team, at this point in the season, is simultaneously inspiring and depressing. Inspiring because these young women been through a lot, and have produced a record that most teams would envy. Depressing because we know what they are capable of, and are watching that high level of play slowly drift away because of the grinding schedule.
Never mind what the team would have been like with Buecker, Ducharme and Fudd in the lineup. Just remember what our existing group, sans Bueckers, Fudd and Ducharme, has done when playing at their peak. Compare that with today's team. Juhasz led the team in scoring last night against a much weaker team, but lost the ball several times in ways she would not have done earlier in the year. Muhl did some serious scoring, but also made some ill-advised passes to nowhere. Lou just looks tired.
Say what you will about Geno's habit of sticking with his starters for long stretches, the accumulation of all that playing time has worn the players down.
As for South Carolina, I don't think a 20-point loss, or even 25, is out of the question. For this team, in the mental condition they're in, anything better than that is a moral victory. I just hope they emerge from what will undoubtedly be a very physical game without any more injuries. With this "big game" behind them, they can take care of the rest of the season, maybe get Fudd and Ducharme back, and be a factor in the tournament.

Reaction Score
We might give SC a good first Q but then the grind of the season sets in on the starters. There will be no help from the bench. we can only hope there is no foul trouble or things will get ugly fast.

Reaction Score
If you think we are at a LOW for this season, you obviously didn't watch the games when Azzi injured and reinjured her knee, or while Caroline sustained concussions!! I consider when our amazing Uconn women get injured to be LOW's for the season, certainly not when we only WIN a game by 10 against an overmatched BE team.

In the past 10 days our players have beaten Butler by 40, DePaul by 43, Tennessee by 17 in Knoxville and a very good Villanova team by 5 points-all with a severely depleted bench. That is not a LOW point, that is something to celebrate. Sure we will be an underdog at home against SC Sunday and we may lose (but we may win) and our fantastic season will keep moving on. C'mon people, enjoy what our young women are doing!!! Go Huskies!!!!

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
All I am expecting is for our women to come out with energy, spunk and teamwork. Yes, they're tired and short handed. Yes, they are emotionally drained. But, they are still kids and have more in the tank than some of us want to believe. I have a feeling they will play with as much heart as they did against the puke orange. I care if they play well and if the final is a win or loss, deal with it. I'll be rooting for them to finish with their heads high and send the visitors home knowing they had a respectable opponent. Regardless, they are my team and I'll be in their corner when the final horn sounds.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If you think we are at a LOW for this season, you obviously didn't watch the games when Azzi injured and reinjured her knee, or while Caroline sustained concussions!! I consider when our amazing Uconn women get injured to be LOW's for the season, certainly not when we only WIN a game by 10 against an overmatched BE team.

In the past 10 days our players have beaten Butler by 40, DePaul by 43, Tennessee by 17 in Knoxville and a very good Villanova team by 5 points-all with a severely depleted bench. That is not a LOW point, that is something to celebrate. Sure we will be an underdog at home against SC Sunday and we may lose (but we may win) and our fantastic season will keep moving on. C'mon people, enjoy what our young women are doing!!! Go Huskies!!!!
I think the OP means an emotional low.

Reaction Score
Last year with fewer injuries, we lost a total of 6 games, and lost in the National Championship game. Not a disaster of a season by any stretch.
This season with a ton of injuries and with basically 5 players, we are still winning.
But since we are Uconn, our expectations are so ridiculous,that wins have to be artisticly pleasing. I will take a W in any way possible.
If we lose to SC its not the end of the world, learn and move on.
Last point, we are 21-2 playing the most difficult schedule in the country (according to RPI)..I think that is darn good.

Fewer?? The only players not to miss game time were Evina and Aaliyah. Def weren't fewer injuries. Just none season ending except Aubrey.

Reaction Score
More worried about what happens after the SC game. Do reinforcements come and are we able to regroup, rejuvinate, and rest up for the tournaments to come? Big questions going forward.

There's always rest before the tournaments.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
You know right now, we all sound like we're rushing to get home to grandma's house to say our farewells before it's too late and talking ourselves into accepting the inevitable. What fun will it be when she (metaphorically) sits up Sunday and says "psych" and knocks out a 20-point win.

Reaction Score
A win's a win tonight, but it's becoming increasingly clear injuries are taking their accumulated toll. The team needs reinforcements and they're not available, with the biggest game of the year coming up Sunday.
In my mind, there's no way we should expect our weary warriors to be competitive
against the #1 team in the nation. I'll say it up front: I think it'll be a blow out.
SC will win by at least 20.
I know some of you will consider this pessimistic, but it's not based on a hope.
It's based on declining quality of play, e.g., turnovers, loss of offense, a weakening defense.

BUT that's on Feb. 5. If 2 of the injured can come back in time to get in top
playing shape, we'll still be a force in the Final Four.

Go Huskies!
Great points. I am sure the injuries are taking a toll on the team, and they are feeling some way. But these are some competitive players. They will rise to the challenge Sunday and who knows what could happen. South Carolina looks unstoppable. But people were saying the same thing last year and on any given day, any team can be beat. Missouri proved that last year. Sure, it takes a hot shooting night and hopefully South Carolina is having a massive off night, but things can happen.

Don't count our beloved UConn squad out. Even though the gas gauge may read "empty", there is about 10-15 miles left in the tank. These girls got the heart of a husky in them and they are going to give everything they got Sunday and will shock the world. Plus, we got an awesome coaching staff. They will have a nice game plan in place. We are going to shock the world!

Reaction Score
Yep and they won all of them include a 25 point win vs Maryland. They may not be “unbeatable” but they are “ unbeaten.”
Comparing scores means nothing ….different nights ….different match ups….The lady Vols played Stanford close but we had our way with them….
Am I the only one who thinks we're going to win next game?
Uconn 70- SC 66
me too….not sure about the score but I feel we are going to win

Reaction Score
The optimist in me says that it's not a bad thing if Azzi and Caroline aren't back by Sunday. We compete, see how things go, then there will be a great deal of confidence if they are hitting on all cylinders in the tournament (with both players back) and then play them in the rematch.

Reaction Score
Fewer?? The only players not to miss game time were Evina and Aaliyah. Def weren't fewer injuries. Just none season ending except Aubrey.
I just looked at the math between last year and this year, more than double games missed this year vs. last year.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
So I went back to my lineup chart from last year to compare what happened to what's going on now. In 2021-22, by game #23, we used our 9th lineup, and it changed 10 times. This season, we used lineup #5 in game 23, have used 6 lineups, and it has changed 7x. Historically, Geno likes sticking with the same lineup, however may change up subs from time to time, but overall, he's pretty consistent. I'm guessing that the players also appreciate the routine of knowing who is starting, etc. The team seems to react better to any issues happening between games vs. within a game, as the former allows the staff to work with the team and prepare with the changes needed.

Here's a first look at when the lineups changed:
1675355006591.png

And here's a look at the actual lineups with PPG:
1675355351651.png

One of the difficulties of this year is that the number of available bench players is smaller, and that the skillset of those players may not help with what the team needs - a pure shooter, pure post, etc. As much as I want the team to win every game, I'm impressed with how they've handled the challenges over the last two seasons.

Reaction Score
You are a realist. Your comments are not out of line. Anyone that has followed this team since the beginning of the season has witnessed the decline of this team, as it is happening right before our eyes. All you can do is expect our girls to do the best they can. I was not going to predict doom and gloom for the SC game, but like you, I'm going to keep it real.

We all saw the game tonight. The team ship was listing and leaking oil all night. THAT was an ugly win. I just want to get this game behind us and move on without suffering any more injuries. An injury to any of our players at this point in the season would be devastating. It will be interesting to see if any of our fans criticize the play of our girls in spite of their obvious disadvantages going in to this game. Geno has said on several occasions that this team is tired physically and mentally.

There will be no Calvary Unit coming over the hill at the last minute to the rescue. Paige and Ice will not be suiting up at the end of the season. We may not see Azzi either. They may decide to shut her down the rest of the season. We might see Caroline, but how effective will she be?

I won't be making my usual prognostication submission for this game because I don't like to predict a defeat for the Huskies. I don't see any way UConn can win this game. I hope I'm wrong. "UConn is not in a good place right now" ~ Geno Auriemma. We're getting it directly from the head coach. To me, it will be a win-win if they come out, compete, and finish the game with no new or reaggravated injuries. Keep hope alive. :rolleyes:
5 games in 12 days and playing a big, physical, very good team is an overwhelming task. My biggest reason for agreeing with you is that we are so tired, so worn down, so battered , that we are a different team then even against Tennessee. Bad scheduling of these OOC games going back to ND and Maryland. I've been talking about it all year.

Reaction Score
Stanford should have beaten SC but lost in overtime. Key to beating SC is getting rebounds, plus it helps having people who can score, which is a problem for us due to the injuries. But we do have Lou, Dorka and Aaliyah as primary scoring threats, and Aubrey and Nika have been putting up points too. Assuming the starters can stay out of foul trouble, Aubrey and Aaliyah and Dorka have to box out and also get & hold onto the rebounds, esp. defensive ones. Can’t match SC’s depth, so fatigue in 4th might be an issue. Hope Geno just has light workouts until the game so the squad can rest. And if Caroline can play, I’d let her have some minutes. Gotta keep the turnovers low too! I think Ayanna will get some minutes as a rebounder to give Dorka or Aaliyah some relief- not many, maybe to close out the half if a big has two fouls already.

If I were Geno, I would pack the paint, play a lot of zone, and make sure SC doesnt dominate us on the boards and get easy putback points. Make them earn the points. Force SC to beat us from the perimeter and the line, where they have been shaky. I also expect AP (maybe even Amari) to help on the boards on both ends. Perhaps playing zone and "simplifying" the game in this way will help play to AP's strength.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69