We're at a LOW in the season, by Uconn standards | Page 3 | The Boneyard

We're at a LOW in the season, by Uconn standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kat

Reaction Score
I enjoy watching the Huskies play in any season but there is something special with what has gone on this year with this team. Watching players develop, adapt, and take turns in the spotlight while always pulling together and stressing team before individual is classic UConn. I believe that this, and last season, are amazing examples of what Geno, CD, and Huskie Nation can do.

I am more than content with their achievements and enjoy seeing that they are first in the Big East and ranked #5 nationally.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
5 games in 12 days and playing a big, physical, very good team is an overwhelming task. My biggest reason for agreeing with you is that we are so tired, so worn down, so battered, that we are a different team then even against Tennessee. Bad scheduling of these OOC games going back to ND and Maryland. I've been talking about it all year.
Last night during the post-game interview, Geno said “everybody’s got something”, referring to his player’s injuries. Fans can turn and twist this team's current situation like Rubik's Cube, but it is what it is. Wishing and hoping are not going to change anything. Just one fan's opinion, but this does not appear to be our year. Too many injuries. UConn has not been at full strength at any time this season. When you (as a coach) are concerned every game about having at least 7 of your players dress so that you can play, that's a clear and unmistakable sign that you have issues. “I’m not surprised that as the games (on this stretch) have gone on, it’s gotten increasingly more difficult to stay up and to be mentally sharp," Geno Auriemma said. "Right now, mentally we’re not all on the same page." South Carolina comes in riding a 27-game win streak (going back to last year). They're big, healthy, and have a 14-player roster that Dawn uses liberally.

If my calculations are correct, Geno should have a 15-player roster next year IF Aubrey Griffin comes back. We currently have 13 players with the addition of Jana El Alfy. We lose 2 5th year players (Lou and Dorka), but we gain 4 incoming freshmen. 11+4 =15. We'll have to wait and see what Aubrey is going to do. Her HS class graduates college in May. This is her 4th year at UConn. She is eligible to enter the WNBA draft in April. My calculations of a15 player roster includes Aubrey coming back next year.
SC is not invincible, folks.
Yes, Stanford proved that, but the Cardinal peed in the bed twice. Once in regulation and again in overtime. Stanford clearly should have won that game but didn't. :confused:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We have to remember that the minutes we have been playing our starters in the span of 5 games in 12 days is a very significant factor in our worn down condition. There is just no remedy for it. The reserves are just not up to the task in tight games. We have to get by as best we can and hope that CD and Azzi come back and soon and that we recharge our engines somehow someway. It is almost impossible to win when you are exhausted. Both Lou and Aaliyah are different players the last two games due to the energy drain.

Reaction Score
I enjoy watching the Huskies play in any season but there is something special with what has gone on this year with this team. Watching players develop, adapt, and take turns in the spotlight while always pulling together and stressing team before individual is classic UConn. I believe that this, and last season, are amazing examples of what Geno, CD, and Husky Nation can do.

I am more than content with their achievements and enjoy seeing that they are first in the Big East and ranked #5 nationally.
When you think about it objectively, it's pretty remarkable. I thought last season was Geno's best job ever. I may change my mind come April. If they keep the FF string alive it will be an achievement of incredible proportions.

Reaction Score
Last night during the post-game interview, Geno said “everybody’s got something”, referring to his player’s injuries. Fans can turn and twist this team's current situation like Rubik's Cube, but it is what it is. Wishing and hoping are not going to change anything. Just one fan's opinion, but this does not appear to be our year. Too many injuries. UConn has not been at full strength at any time this season. When you (as a coach) are concerned every game about having at least 7 of your players dress so that you can play, that's a clear and unmistakable sign that you have issues. “I’m not surprised that as the games (on this stretch) have gone on, it’s gotten increasingly more difficult to stay up and to be mentally sharp," Geno Auriemma said. "Right now, mentally we’re not all on the same page." South Carolina comes in riding a 27-game win streak (going back to last year). They're big, healthy, and have a 14-player roster that Dawn uses liberally.

If my calculations are correct, Geno should have a 15-player roster next year IF Aubrey Griffin comes back. We currently have 13 players with the addition of Jana El Alfy. We lose 2 5th year players (Lou and Dorka), but we gain 4 incoming freshmen. 11+4 =15. We'll have to wait and see what Aubrey is going to do. Her HS class graduates college in May. This is her 4th year at UConn. She is eligible to enter the WNBA draft in April. My calculations of a15 player roster includes Aubrey coming back next year.

Yes, Stanford proved that, but the Cardinal peed in the bed twice. Once in regulation and again in overtime. Stanford clearly should have won that game but didn't. :confused:
Without question, the bed is far more vivid than the cage.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one who thinks we're going to win next game?
Uconn 70- SC 66
I don't know who is going to win, but I don't see a blowout either way. IF someone gets to 70, that would be a surprise too.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This is the last hump before the end of the season. Only 7 games left after tomorrow. My only concern is for the health of our players. No injuries tomorrow or for the rest of the season. The conference tournament begins in 25 days. Enjoy the game everyone. :cool:

Reaction Score
I agree with all the optimists out there that our starting 5 are the grittiest, the gutsiest, and the most capable of pulling the upset of the season against the champs. But that's it. Beyond those 5, there is nothing. Even if the starters play a foul-cautious game, I don't think they have the stamina to stay with such a deep and powerful opponent.

I would love to eat humble pie tomorrow, but a respectable loss to SC isn't going to hurt us that much. I am more concerned about one of our most cherished records -- the years of playing without consecutive losses. However the SC game turns out, I want us to be ready to play 3 days later in Milwaukee, against a Marquette team that gave us fits at home on New Year's Eve.

Reaction Score
A win's a win tonight, but it's becoming increasingly clear injuries are taking their accumulated toll. The team needs reinforcements and they're not available, with the biggest game of the year coming up Sunday.
In my mind, there's no way we should expect our weary warriors to be competitive
against the #1 team in the nation. I'll say it up front: I think it'll be a blow out.
SC will win by at least 20.
I know some of you will consider this pessimistic, but it's not based on a hope.
It's based on declining quality of play, e.g., turnovers, loss of offense, a weakening defense.

BUT that's on Feb. 5. If 2 of the injured can come back in time to get in top
playing shape, we'll still be a force in the Final Four.

Go Huskies!
Still think we are at a LOW?

Reaction Score
Wherever and whenever the low so far is, it can always be worse. It's a low point so far this season. Let's hope that there isn't a lower one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom