We're a real wildcard. We might land anywhere. | The Boneyard

We're a real wildcard. We might land anywhere.

Reaction Score
Dear Boneyarders(including those I've already scolded, in my first 2022 post:/),

The time before this 2022-23 season is the most intriguing to me, perhaps ever, in thinking of Husky possibilities (and impossibilies?). There is more we do not know than we ever have not known (or known:/). Who will be the leader? Do we need one leader? The biggest is who will do great? Who will disappoint us?

More than any other year, the Boneyard can say "we have never seen this team before". We have lost Paige Bueckers again, and I hope it is for the ENTIRE 2022-23 season, for 1.Her future in basketball. It may have been a different injury, but like Dizzy Dean ruining his arm, by changing his pitching form, to favor his broken toe, she COULD have been favoring the injured knee, only to reinsurance it from a different angle. Take the season off.

2. The other players KNOWING beyond any doubt that Paige will not be a 2022-23 on court teammate could make them become a stronger unit. No "you guys will do great, while I'm gone..." They must think of their team as a team that Paige is not on. I love Paige and her playing so far, already in any alltime UConn starting 5, but I almost wish she could spend this year scouting huskies in Europe.

Another thing we will miss I fear is the DEFENSE of the three 2021-22 seniors, particularly Liv Nelson-Ododa's interior D. But the biggest wildcard of all is how good, how great, how average each player will be. More than ever before, for me, at least.

If I had the quickest summary of how I feel about the players(something I'm incapable of:/), I'd say that for us to be National Champions, we will need at least one of the new Ice Brady/Ayanna Patterson duo to surprise and become All-America possibilities, and I also believe Caroline Ducharme will need to be VERY good to All-America, progressing from her very best from last season, which was very good. A big help will be Inez Bettencourt providing a supporting 3rd ballhandler, to spell Azzi/Nika, Nika/Azzi. Personally, I'd prefer that with either of them on the bench, that Caroline not be our 2nd ballhandler, so I see Caroline as THE three.

Another very important improvement could rest on a bad back, and that's no sure thing, no how! Aubrey Griffin has a very high ceiling, if completely healthy. I've sensed in the past that she could become closer to a superstar than an average player.

But maybe the big thing is the more evolved play of people who have proven themselves to a degree: Aaliyah Edwards, Dorka Juhasz, Azzi (to All-American), and NIKA. Nika has already proven herself as a good player. But I'll tell you, we'd be much better off with Nika Muhl playing FOR us, and not against.

So what I'm saying is that this team could have a wider spectrum between what could be and what will be than any I recall. And that makes me more fascinated by the possibilities than I have ever been. Wouldn't it be something if we went all the way?!? (I edited too late in my other post- I meant to make an "on" an "in", a wanted to include "as" in one sentence, which without it created a conceivably uncomfortable direction to go in:/, and I have never thought of jingoistic feelings as simple, or less than evil, for that matter). Thanks

Reaction Score
Dear Boneyarders(including those I've already scolded, in my first 2022 post:/), The time before this 2022-23 season is the most intriguing to me, perhaps ever, in thinking of Husky possibilities (and impossibilies?). There is more we do not know than we ever have not known (or known:/). Who will be the leader? Do we need one leader? The biggest is who will do great? Who will disappoint us? More than any other year, the Boneyard can say "we have never seen this team before". We have lost Paige Bueckers again, and I hope it is for the ENTIRE 2022-23 season, for 1.Her future in basketball. It may have been a different injury, but like Dizzy Dean ruining his arm, by changing his pitching form, to favor his broken toe, she COULD have been favoring the injured knee, only to reinsurance it from a different angle. Take the season off. 2. The other players KNOWING beyond any doubt that Paige will not be a 2022-23 on court teammate could make them become a stronger unit. No "you guys will do great, while I'm gone..." They must think of their team as a team that Paige is not on. I love Paige and her playing so far, already in any alltime UConn starting 5, but I almost wish she could spend this year scouting huskies in Europe. Another thing we will miss I fear is the DEFENSE of the three 2021-22 seniors, particularly Liv Nelson-Ododa's interior D. But the biggest wildcard of all is how good, how great, how average each player will be. More than ever before, for me, at least. If I had the quickest summary of how I feel about the players(something I'm incapable of:/), I'd say that for us to be National Champions, we will need at least one of the new Ice Brady/Ayanna Patterson duo to surprise and become All-America possibilities, and I also believe Caroline Ducharme will need to be VERY good to All-America, progressing from her very best from last season, which was very good. A big help will be Inez Bettencourt providing a supporting 3rd ballhandler, to spell Azzi/Nika, Nika/Azzi. Personally, I'd prefer that with either of them on the bench, that Caroline not be our 2nd ballhandler, so I see Caroline as THE three. Another very important improvement could rest on a bad back, and that's no sure thing, no how! Aubrey Griffin has a very high ceiling, if completely healthy. I've sensed in the past that she could become closer to a superstar than an average player. But maybe the big thing is the more evolved play of people who have proven themselves to a degree: Aaliyah Edwards, Dorka Juhasz, Azzi (to All-American), and NIKA. Nika has already proven herself as a good player to all but the unlaut conscious crew I've been offended by for awhile now. Geez, they'll attack her if she chooses the wrong cereal for breakfast! Power often allows this unfairness, unfortunately. But I'll tell you, we'd be much better off with Nika Muhl playing FOR us, and not against. So what I'm saying is that this team could have a wider spectrum between what could be and what will be than any I recall. And that makes me more fascinated by the possibilities than I have ever been. Wouldn't it be something if we went all the way?!? (I edited too late in my other post- I meant to make an "on" an "in", a wanted to include "as" in one sentence, which without it created a conceivably uncomfortable direction to go in:/, and I have never thought of jingoistic feelings as simple, or less than evil, for that matter). Thanks
This team will have to have superb success, play fantastic basketball--you see at Uconn--Winning is important but not everything. The game must be played in the UCONN manner. I liked this team last 3 years. I loved the teams from 95 to Sue's departure, then the Maria Conlon (she was Connecticut personified, tough, determined, not loud, when a score a foul shot were demanded- she did it) Stewies Teams, Kiah, Dolson, KML-- this team has the STARS to reach for.
I won't bet my hovel against an NC, but I'd do it for the FF in 2023.
Few teams have had --now this is my personalizing this team--had the Edwards, Dorka, AZZI, NIKA NIKA NIKA,,Caroline ,Aubrey, Lou, INES, Ayanna, et al--And OF Course we have Geno and they don't. not to mention the 2nd greatest WBB Coach Christine Dailey, and MORGAN (no last name needed). I'm missing one out of fear, she's so tough, if I spell her name wrong--well, you know.

Reaction Score
Dear Boneyarders(including those I've already scolded, in my first 2022 post:/), The time before this 2022-23 season is the most intriguing to me, perhaps ever, in thinking of Husky possibilities (and impossibilies?). There is more we do not know than we ever have not known (or known:/). Who will be the leader? Do we need one leader? The biggest is who will do great? Who will disappoint us? More than any other year, the Boneyard can say "we have never seen this team before". We have lost Paige Bueckers again, and I hope it is for the ENTIRE 2022-23 season, for 1.Her future in basketball. It may have been a different injury, but like Dizzy Dean ruining his arm, by changing his pitching form, to favor his broken toe, she COULD have been favoring the injured knee, only to reinsurance it from a different angle. Take the season off. 2. The other players KNOWING beyond any doubt that Paige will not be a 2022-23 on court teammate could make them become a stronger unit. No "you guys will do great, while I'm gone..." They must think of their team as a team that Paige is not on. I love Paige and her playing so far, already in any alltime UConn starting 5, but I almost wish she could spend this year scouting huskies in Europe. Another thing we will miss I fear is the DEFENSE of the three 2021-22 seniors, particularly Liv Nelson-Ododa's interior D. But the biggest wildcard of all is how good, how great, how average each player will be. More than ever before, for me, at least. If I had the quickest summary of how I feel about the players(something I'm incapable of:/), I'd say that for us to be National Champions, we will need at least one of the new Ice Brady/Ayanna Patterson duo to surprise and become All-America possibilities, and I also believe Caroline Ducharme will need to be VERY good to All-America, progressing from her very best from last season, which was very good. A big help will be Inez Bettencourt providing a supporting 3rd ballhandler, to spell Azzi/Nika, Nika/Azzi. Personally, I'd prefer that with either of them on the bench, that Caroline not be our 2nd ballhandler, so I see Caroline as THE three. Another very important improvement could rest on a bad back, and that's no sure thing, no how! Aubrey Griffin has a very high ceiling, if completely healthy. I've sensed in the past that she could become closer to a superstar than an average player. But maybe the big thing is the more evolved play of people who have proven themselves to a degree: Aaliyah Edwards, Dorka Juhasz, Azzi (to All-American), and NIKA. Nika has already proven herself as a good player to all but the unlaut conscious crew I've been offended by for awhile now. Geez, they'll attack her if she chooses the wrong cereal for breakfast! Power often allows this unfairness, unfortunately. But I'll tell you, we'd be much better off with Nika Muhl playing FOR us, and not against. So what I'm saying is that this team could have a wider spectrum between what could be and what will be than any I recall. And that makes me more fascinated by the possibilities than I have ever been. Wouldn't it be something if we went all the way?!? (I edited too late in my other post- I meant to make an "on" an "in", a wanted to include "as" in one sentence, which without it created a conceivably uncomfortable direction to go in:/, and I have never thought of jingoistic feelings as simple, or less than evil, for that matter). Thanks
Sorry, I don’t get the post. It’s all over the place.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This team will have to have superb success, play fantastic basketball--you see at Uconn--Winning is important but not everything. The game must be played in the UCONN manner. I liked this team last 3 years. I loved the teams from 95 to Sue's departure, then the Maria Conlon (she was Connecticut personified, tough, determined, not loud, when a score a foul shot were demanded- she did it) Stewies Teams, Kiah, Dolson, KML-- this team has the STARS to reach for.
I won't bet my hovel against an NC, but I'd do it for the FF in 2023.
Few teams have had --now this is my personalizing this team--had the Edwards, Dorka, AZZI, NIKA NIKA NIKA,,Caroline ,Aubrey, Lou, INES, Ayanna, et al--And OF Course we have Geno and they don't. not to mention the 2nd greatest WBB Coach Christine Dailey, and MORGAN (no last name needed). I'm missing one out of fear, she's so tough, if I spell her name wrong--well, you know.
Rambling fever is rampant.

Reaction Score
Your opinion is your opinion. I agree I'd rather have Nika and Edwards playing for Uconn rather than against them.
I agree with the "essence" of your posting. We don't know for certain how this team will work as a UNIT. We rarely know that in September.
I agree they must gel, ie, work as a team. Geno will handle that.
Nika has significant ATTRIBUTES and some not so greats. Like me, Nika is what she is. The other thing is: Uconn does not need to be great--only better than the competition. I think at this point--player for player, recruit for recruit Uconn is on the plus side.
I'm pleased we got Ayanna, Lou, Ines, Ice Brady, I'm happy for Aubrey and me that she is returning. As a visiting negative vibes purveyor, Before I put the Grade A stamp on their extremities, I'd like to see them play a decent team. The POTENTIAL is there, or Geno would not have taken them. I agree with Caroline and AZZI the potential for AA is within them.
ONO, I was one who misjudged her horrifically. She was thin. She had some great moves. She rebounded with those her weight or a bit higher but with 60 or more pounds, it was beyond her. As a player--ignoring weight issues, she was an AA candidate. Her hands in dragging in rebound were good to better. I apologize to ONO for any or all of my negatives--you'll be a very good pro.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Just a super-friendly suggestion. You can really enhance the readability of a long post like this by breaking it up into paragraphs.

Reaction Score
Just a super-friendly suggestion. You can really enhance the readability of a long post like this by breaking it up into paragraphs.
You are one of my favorites, you haven't posted in a while. I miss your knowledge and honest opinions.
On no paragraphs. Have you noticed a few very enthusiastic posters tend to forget the grammatical for the thought.
Actually there is a faction in English composition my English Comp PHD friend informed me: The block form. However, when not separated by space appears as you state.

Reaction Score
Look on the bright side - the post wasn't written Scriptio continua!!!!

Reaction Score
These kids have sway and attitude. I have been watching UConn since there first Final Four trip year back in 1993 (?). You can say that TASSK was close and then with Diana. But these kids have Instagram, TikTok, Facebook and damned phones that are computers at their fingertips. That are promoting themselves. They are having fun while being serious for the whole world to see. We didn't have this with Tamika, Asjha, Swin, Sue, Kriesten or Diana. Can't thank Paige enough for this. She is at the forfront. She is the coach of this this team not Geno. The Nika Edwards tandem will be the drivers. The ball starts with one and goes to the other. Azzi and Caroline will be the scorers. And they willl. Dorka will hold the fort down in the lane while sneaking out beyond the 3-point line and be a sniper. This team will be fun to watch. Sadly, even with Paige on the Bench leading the three point barrage hand claps.

Reaction Score
These kids have sway and attitude. I have been watching UConn since there first Final Four trip year back in 1993 (?). You can say that TASSK was close and then with Diana. But these kids have Instagram, TikTok, Facebook and damned phones that are computers at their fingertips. That are promoting themselves. They are having fun while being serious for the whole world to see. We didn't have this with Tamika, Asjha, Swin, Sue, Kriesten or Diana. Can't thank Paige enough for this. She is at the forfront. She is the coach of this this team not Geno. The Nika Edwards tandem will be the drivers. The ball starts with one and goes to the other. Azzi and Caroline will be the scorers. And they willl. Dorka will hold the fort down in the lane while sneaking out beyond the 3-point line and be a sniper. This team will be fun to watch. Sadly, even with Paige on the Bench leading the three point barrage hand claps.
The old field house was near the Faculty dining facility when I first sat on planks to view the men. The women came much later, long before either received a FF or NC.
Quality, ability, whom is better than who, is meaningless to compare. I liked what I liked, and still do. I say this much too often probably, but I'd watch them (feeling miserable) if the began losing and losing. I just like the WAY they play--of course I love the winning.
I'm not sure Paige has much sway over the ladies on the floor, right now. Talent isn't all eye and hand coordination, much of it is Heart.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Paragraphs are your friend in posting online.

Reaction Score
Make the post simple and easy to read. I can read only the first 5-6 lines of your post.

Reaction Score
I stopped reading at "scolded".

Who do you think you are Bascom to be "scolding" anyone?

Reaction Score
Where to start? While, by all accounts it is extremely unlikely, if Paige were to be cleared to play by her Physicians to play in the NCAAs, for example, I’m not sure why anyone would be against her playing?
As to the undeniable fact that she could have been favoring “the injured knee” my response to that is that she also could have been daydreaming about how she’s going to spend her NIL money or going skiing, riding horses….you get the picture. The Doctors cleared her, she played in the tournament, and was getting ready for next season, yet somehow this was all premature and a mistake?
You say you wish she could just go spend her time in Europe away from the team. I have no doubt you mean this in a good way but Paige’s recovery and presence is part of the shared team experience for everyone. All of it; the support she receives, the pats on the back for milestones passed in her recovery, the concern that other members of the team express, the shared pride in each other’s accomplishments, the pep talks, advice, coaching knowledge Paige will pick up on the bench, her presence as a resource for the backcourt players (and simply as a fun loving friend). All of this, and much more, would be missed (on both sides) if Paige were to go off to recover on her own.
I certainly agree that strong play by either/or both of the freshman front court players will greatly enhance our chances for #12 but I don’t think it has to be All-American level. If they can simply contribute some solid minutes, that will be a huge plus.
As for Nika, (who does play for us) I would simply ask who all these Nika haters are on this board, as I can’t recall a single poster who suggested we’d be better off without her on the team.
You completely lost me on the “power often allows this unfairness” and the “jingoistic feelings” but, hey, I’m admittedly not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
In the end though, I sense that ultimately, just like those “haters” who would like to see Nika become more of an offensive threat (and free throw shooter) you want the best for this wonderful basketball team, and in that, we are in complete agreement!

Reaction Score
No one on this forum ever expressed HATE for Nika Muhl. Expressing well found opinions as to her shortcomings of talent and skill does not exhibit HATE for a college athlete.

Reaction Score
Thanks for finally ending this word salad.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
A fine young lady named Inês recently joined the team.
Those who respect her and other team members will likely take the trouble not to mangle her name.

There is nobody named Inez playing for UConn this season.

Reaction Score
Where to start? While, by all accounts it is extremely unlikely, if Paige were to be cleared to play by her Physicians to play in the NCAAs, for example, I’m not sure why anyone would be against her playing?
As to the undeniable fact that she could have been favoring “the injured knee” my response to that is that she also could have been daydreaming about how she’s going to spend her NIL money or going skiing, riding horses….you get the picture. The Doctors cleared her, she played in the tournament, and was getting ready for next season, yet somehow this was all premature and a mistake?
You say you wish she could just go spend her time in Europe away from the team. I have no doubt you mean this in a good way but Paige’s recovery and presence is part of the shared team experience for everyone. All of it; the support she receives, the pats on the back for milestones passed in her recovery, the concern that other members of the team express, the shared pride in each other’s accomplishments, the pep talks, advice, coaching knowledge Paige will pick up on the bench, her presence as a resource for the backcourt players (and simply as a fun loving friend). All of this, and much more, would be missed (on both sides) if Paige were to go off to recover on her own.
I certainly agree that strong play by either/or both of the freshman front court players will greatly enhance our chances for #12 but I don’t think it has to be All-American level. If they can simply contribute some solid minutes, that will be a huge plus.
As for Nika, (who does play for us) I would simply ask who all these Nika haters are on this board, as I can’t recall a single poster who suggested we’d be better off without her on the team.
You completely lost me on the “power often allows this unfairness” and the “jingoistic feelings” but, hey, I’m admittedly not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
In the end though, I sense that ultimately, just like those “haters” who would like to see Nika become more of an offensive threat (and free throw shooter) you want the best for this wonderful basketball team, and in that, we are in complete agreement!
You may need sharpening, but who doesn't. Your reply was balanced and fair.
As a human with 2 bad knees my sympathies go with Paige. If she WERE Cleared to Play-at this point I'd be against it, loudly. The future is hers, if she takes care of her body now. I want Paige to play as much as her wise-est supporter but I want her to have the future she has earned.
I believe you were correct the poster's words were POSITIVE for the health of Paige.
At least a few have had some unflattering words for Nika. I may be more critical than is true, but I am a bit over the top for Ms Muhl, Paige, Caroline, Edwards, Azzi, and 8 others. Ms Muhl's method of play isn't everyones :cup of tea--enthusiasm is contagious and Nika has that by the truck load. All out all the time. Give me 6 and we'll have fun, we may not win it all but everyone will know they played US.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom