We're a real wildcard. We might land anywhere. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

We're a real wildcard. We might land anywhere.

Reaction Score
Your opinion is your opinion. I agree I'd rather have Nika and Edwards playing for Uconn rather than against them.
I agree with the "essence" of your posting. We don't know for certain how this team will work as a UNIT. We rarely know that in September.
I agree they must gel, ie, work as a team. Geno will handle that.
Nika has significant ATTRIBUTES and some not so greats. Like me, Nika is what she is. The other thing is: Uconn does not need to be great--only better than the competition. I think at this point--player for player, recruit for recruit Uconn is on the plus side.
I'm pleased we got Ayanna, Lou, Ines, Ice Brady, I'm happy for Aubrey and me that she is returning. As a visiting negative vibes purveyor, Before I put the Grade A stamp on their extremities, I'd like to see them play a decent team. The POTENTIAL is there, or Geno would not have taken them. I agree with Caroline and AZZI the potential for AA is within them.
ONO, I was one who misjudged her horrifically. She was thin. She had some great moves. She rebounded with those her weight or a bit higher but with 60 or more pounds, it was beyond her. As a player--ignoring weight issues, she was an AA candidate. Her hands in dragging in rebound were good to better. I apologize to ONO for any or all of my negatives--you'll be a very good pro.
So we ONLY NEED THREE ALL AMERICANS?
Brady/Patterson, Ducharme and Azzi?
Anything else?
70% from beyond the arc?
Guess we’re in trouble.
(Not)
Top to bottom, I fear not one team in the country.
Front line is gonna be “ Murderers Row”.
And if the guards perform “only” as expected, start making reservations.
We’ll know soon enough.
( my honest opinion, not fluff)

Reaction Score
A fine young lady named Inês recently joined the team.
Those who respect her and other team members will likely take the trouble not to mangle her name.

There is nobody named Inez playing for UConn this season.
I respect Ines tons, but I haven't learned how to spell her name yet. If I don't know how to punctuate paragraphs, please forgive me if I don't get that peak symbol on top on top of the "e" yet. I'm sure it won't start a thread, like the umlaut in Muhl did. By the way, my great grandfather was a sea captain and one of his photo logs featured Sao Miguel in the Azores. Inva couple, there is a square and a very large building behind it. I'm guessing around 1900.

Reaction Score
Dear Boneyarders(including those I've already scolded, in my first 2022 post:/),

The time before this 2022-23 season is the most intriguing to me, perhaps ever, in thinking of Husky possibilities (and impossibilies?). There is more we do not know than we ever have not known (or known:/). Who will be the leader? Do we need one leader? The biggest is who will do great? Who will disappoint us?

More than any other year, the Boneyard can say "we have never seen this team before". We have lost Paige Bueckers again, and I hope it is for the ENTIRE 2022-23 season, for 1.Her future in basketball. It may have been a different injury, but like Dizzy Dean ruining his arm, by changing his pitching form, to favor his broken toe, she COULD have been favoring the injured knee, only to reinsurance it from a different angle. Take the season off.

2. The other players KNOWING beyond any doubt that Paige will not be a 2022-23 on court teammate could make them become a stronger unit. No "you guys will do great, while I'm gone..." They must think of their team as a team that Paige is not on. I love Paige and her playing so far, already in any alltime UConn starting 5, but I almost wish she could spend this year scouting huskies in Europe.

Another thing we will miss I fear is the DEFENSE of the three 2021-22 seniors, particularly Liv Nelson-Ododa's interior D. But the biggest wildcard of all is how good, how great, how average each player will be. More than ever before, for me, at least.

If I had the quickest summary of how I feel about the players(something I'm incapable of:/), I'd say that for us to be National Champions, we will need at least one of the new Ice Brady/Ayanna Patterson duo to surprise and become All-America possibilities, and I also believe Caroline Ducharme will need to be VERY good to All-America, progressing from her very best from last season, which was very good. A big help will be Inez Bettencourt providing a supporting 3rd ballhandler, to spell Azzi/Nika, Nika/Azzi. Personally, I'd prefer that with either of them on the bench, that Caroline not be our 2nd ballhandler, so I see Caroline as THE three.

Another very important improvement could rest on a bad back, and that's no sure thing, no how! Aubrey Griffin has a very high ceiling, if completely healthy. I've sensed in the past that she could become closer to a superstar than an average player.

But maybe the big thing is the more evolved play of people who have proven themselves to a degree: Aaliyah Edwards, Dorka Juhasz, Azzi (to All-American), and NIKA. Nika has already proven herself as a good player. But I'll tell you, we'd be much better off with Nika Muhl playing FOR us, and not against.

So what I'm saying is that this team could have a wider spectrum between what could be and what will be than any I recall. And that makes me more fascinated by the possibilities than I have ever been. Wouldn't it be something if we went all the way?!? (I edited too late in my other post- I meant to make an "on" an "in", a wanted to include "as" in one sentence, which without it created a conceivably uncomfortable direction to go in:/, and I have never thought of jingoistic feelings as simple, or less than evil, for that matter). Thanks
I don't know where you are coming from, but such negatism from you on this team is unbeleiveable. These young women have on their side scoring in abundance, height to compete with the "bigs", defense that will stifle the other teams unity. I have the greatest belief that this will be a record making team. Since this is your opinion, have at it, BUT, your negatism is unwarranted. GO HUSKIES!!!

sun

Reaction Score
I think that there's going to be a lot of interchangeable players on this team which puts many of them in a wildcard position regarding their PT.
And it's going to be difficult for any player to get more than 25 minutes of PT per game unless they're at the top of a category or needed for the team to operate at peak performance, i.e.- to put a game away.
At least until Geno determines who the most effective & efficient players are, and it should be based on this year's performance and not necessarily seniority or last year.
Most players are going to have shortened PT to start off the year with a lot of substituting going on as Geno experiments and evaluates each of their growth, potential, limitations etc...
He's going to need to figure out the best scoring packages, rebounders and ball handlers, and then see which combos are the most productive.
I'll bet that he'll want new players to get game experience & on the learning curve as early as possible.
That's how the new stars & team leaders will emerge.
Then it's rinse & repeat, rinse & repeat over & over until the big games are played.
And then he'll make adjustments based on game results & individual performances.

Last edited:

sun

Reaction Score
I don't believe that Geno will allow new players to simply watch the vet players play.
More than ever he needs to satisfy the bench players, to help train them and get them experience before playing the big games that are coming up.
And especially to help develop the offense.
Geno will use PT as a way to push some new players to compete against vet players on the team for PT, and as a way improve their own position for starter's status.
It's about getting all of the players ready to perform in front of big crowds, national TV and help increase their overall level of competition, especially in case there are injuries or sickness during the season.
They all need to be more than ready to help make up for Paige's absence, and there's no better way than to make them all compete against each other in a team friendly way by using PT as a reward.
Every player should need to prove themselves on the court each and every game.
That's the only way that they will up their game to a high enough level to make up for the loss of Paige.
Geno holds the whip. Mush!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
:eek:It did a little, at least for me- i made it to almost the end of the second paragraph this time around.
English Grammar, punctuation, "Paragraphing", STYLE, I didn't know were covered by BY Rule, I've read them, and must have missed that.

What some are calling "paragraphing" is just spacing. It would require a 40 hour course to cover subjecting within a Paragraph. Most professional writers fail these course.

Communications are funny, we like that which we are familiar. A certain word followed by another familiar word makes reading easy. Yet, Paid writers often use an unfamiliar word to trip you up and keep you awakes

Fun writing, as the BY should be, is about writing and reading about Uconn or other Women's teams. All you should need is to understand the meaning. If we are to maintain any real level of English Composition, Grammar, style- Spelling-WE ARE DOOMED!!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
English Grammar, punctuation, "Paragraphing", STYLE, I didn't know were covered by BY Rule, I've read them, and must have missed that.

What some are calling "paragraphing" is just spacing. It would require a 40 hour course to cover subjecting within a Paragraph. Most professional writers fail these course.

Communications are funny, we like that which we are familiar. A certain word followed by another familiar word makes reading easy. Yet, Paid writers often use an unfamiliar word to trip you up and keep you awakes

Fun writing, as the BY should be, is about writing and reading about Uconn or other Women's teams. All you should need is to understand the meaning. If we are to maintain any real level of English Composition, Grammar, style- Spelling-WE ARE DOOMED!!
Strongly disagree with that. You shouldn't need a BY rules or reminders regarding paragraphing or English composition or spelling if your intent is to make someone interested in reading what you posted. If that is not your intent then why bother posting. Regarding the first post in this thread I'll simply say:
200.gif

Can someone please help me here. Is jingoism a good thing or a bad thing as it relates to basketball? I mean we did invent the game, right?

sun

Reaction Score

Why Do They Say "Mush" to Make Sled Dogs Go

Reaction Score
I don't believe that Geno will allow new players to simply watch the vet players play.
More than ever he needs to satisfy the bench players, to help train them and get them experience before playing the big games that are coming up.
And especially to help develop the offense.
Geno will use PT as a way to push some new players to compete against vet players on the team for PT, and as a way improve their own position for starter's status.
It's about getting all of the players ready to perform in front of big crowds, national TV and help increase their overall level of competition, especially in case there are injuries or sickness during the season.
They all need to be more than ready to help make up for Paige's absence, and there's no better way than to make them all compete against each other in a team friendly way by using PT as a reward.
Every player should need to prove themselves on the court each and every game.
That's the only way that they will up their game to a high enough level to make up for the loss of Paige.
Geno holds the whip. Mush!
Geno would like EVERY player to be on the same page, same physical condition, same mental outlook. For Us that would be great, for Geno near perfection.
The Nucleus of this group is solid and tested. Those coming in look really good. Ameri, isn't a blank paper, she has Geno, Chris, Morgan Jamelle on her side. ICE and Ayanna have great potential. I like that they have potential others don't have, maybe they will have Caroline's opportunities.

Reaction Score
Strongly disagree with that. You shouldn't need a BY rules or reminders regarding paragraphing or English composition or spelling if your intent is to make someone interested in reading what you posted. If that is not your intent then why bother posting. Regarding the first post in this thread I'll simply say:
View attachment 78910
Can someone please help me here. Is jingoism a good thing or a bad thing as it relates to basketball? I mean we did invent the game, right?
I guess I was brought up in a world of Formality and fun. And the twains did meet. I no long argue. My opinion--your opinions --as Geno once said every has one---However, I strongly believe multiple posters after one Uconn fan is a bit over the top.

Reaction Score
View attachment 78910
I'm not into arguing. Your opinion or my opinion in November which will matter most? Neither. I more than usually respect yours. That is what I was trying to say for/about the original poster--read his stuff, ignore, it but accept it his opinion. None of this is life or death.
The BY is more fun when it is FUN.
I did not infer the Bonyard monitor punctuation, spelling, grammar, sentence structure, Gerunds or paragraph structure. Content is more than enough. I SAID--the BY has no rules to that effect (restating it in a different mode), I keep a "pocket PHD in English, if you'd care to have yours monitored. I wouldn't. My spelling is suspect, my Grammar my grandma could not abide. Punctuation almost had me miss graduation.

Reaction Score
I'm not into arguing. Your opinion or my opinion in November which will matter most? Neither. I more than usually respect yours. That is what I was trying to say for/about the original poster--read his stuff, ignore, it but accept it his opinion. None of this is life or death.
The BY is more fun when it is FUN.
I did not infer the Bonyard monitor punctuation, spelling, grammar, sentence structure, Gerunds or paragraph structure. Content is more than enough. I SAID--the BY has no rules to that effect (restating it in a different mode), I keep a "pocket PHD in English, if you'd care to have yours monitored. I wouldn't. My spelling is suspect, my Grammar my grandma could not abide. Punctuation almost had me miss graduation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom