We're # 1!!!! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

We're # 1!!!!

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I wonder how the #1 Votes will be distributed. Obviously UConn, Oregon and Oregon St will get votes. Will Stanford get any and how about Baylor and So Carolina. Based on past history and the Name UConn, UConn will be the #1 team in both polls. Should they be, probably not. Today's Win was a convincing win and some voters will be persuaded that UConn is better then the Voters thought. This is not the same team that played Cal in the 1st game of the year.

Reaction Score
I think Oregon, the media darling of the decade, will be #1.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Does any1 know when was the last time that UConn was not ranked #1 at some point of a Season? It has to go back quite a few years.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Does any1 know when was the last time that UConn was not ranked #1 at some point of a Season? It has to go back quite a few years.
2006-7? The pre-Maya era?

Reaction Score
Let’s see who is ranked #1 after we play Baylor, Tennessee,and Oregon. If we handle them, UConn will deserve the #1 ranking come February 1st. Also let’s not forget South Carolina lurking out there. They are still pretty good even with 2 losses.

Reaction Score
Let’s see who is ranked #1 after we play Baylor, Tennessee,and Oregon. If we handle them, the UConn will deserve the #1 ranking come February 1st. Also let’s not forget South Carolina lurking out there. They are still pretty good even with 2 losses.
I agree. But I think South Carolina will be the toughest game, I believe that game is at South Carolina and that is a tough place to play!

Reaction Score
The UConn squads that have been #1 since Stewie, Mo, and Tuck left dont know how to handle the pressure of being #1. I like them better as the underdog.

Come on. They lost five games in three years, and went undefeated in the regular season twice. That doesn't sound like not handling pressure. Think your expectations are a tad unrealistic.

Reaction Score
All are flawed teams. The national champion this year -- barring injuries -- will be the one whose coach figures out the best way to overcome his/her team's particular flaws. Given that UConn's coach is Geno Auriemma, I like UConn's chances, but nothing is certain.

Reaction Score
Come on. They lost five games in three years, and went undefeated in the regular season twice. That doesn't sound like not handling pressure. Think your expectations are a tad unrealistic.
That’s absolutely not what I meant. I think they would perform better if they are the underdog. Going into the season’s end #1 with undefeated records for the past few final fours, they’ve played not to lose rather than played to win. They are timid and scared and I think being number 1 brings that type or pressure. That 2012 class could handle that with ease. I think if you’re ranked lower going into marquee matchups it makes you play a little more loose like you have nothing to lose. Being number 1 and undefeated I’m not sure that’s something this squad could handle. I’ve been positive all season about UConn Wbb; don’t come for me boo!

Reaction Score
The UConn squads that have been #1 since Stewie, Mo, and Tuck left dont know how to handle the pressure of being #1. I like them better as the underdog.
I don’t cus we always get to the final four and lose. Let’s keep it at # 1 until the end of first week in April

Reaction Score
I never thought Stanford should be rated #1, they were much too inconsistent. But then again considering the alternatives it was not too much of a stretch. In fact putting anyone of the undefeateds or a one loss team there is not that much of a stretch. What makes a team #1 in my way of thinking is overall depth. Any player can carry a team through a stretch. The thing is that players tend to have less than average days and if a team faces a good challenge on that sort of day, then they can go down. I frankly wouldn't want to be the number one rated team this season until the final poll comes out. It appears that any number of teams can take down the number one this season. They don't even have to be rated in the top ten.

Reaction Score
1. UConn
2, Oregon State
3, South Carolina
4, Oregon
5. Florida State

I think its about time to start giving teams some credit now for being undefeated and weighing the schedule more as well. I like SC at as the top 1-loss team based on who've the played. After this I will go.

6. Baylor
7. Stanford
8. Louisville
9. NC State
10. UCLA

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Michelle Smith tweeted she's voting Oregon ST #1 due to Oregon ST's better schedule today. Mechelle Voepelle liked it, so I presume she's of the same mindset.

Megan Gauer and Mechelle Voepel liked

Michelle Smith
@macsmith413

·
7h

Just putting it out there.
@BeaverWBB
getting my vote for No. 1. Three double-digits wins over ranked teams. Beat DePaul by 21. UConn beat them by 10, for lone win over ranked team. Obviously toughest part of Huskies sked to come. But Beavers have better resume today.

Michelle Smith is from the Left Coast :)

R

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Being No. 1 is an ego boost but little more. I would like to see a ranking that shows which teams are improving the most. UConn would be No. 1 in that category. Virtually every player on UConn's thin roster is improving not in small steps but in giant leaps. The road to the FF and a NC got a little easier as Liv continues to domination on the court. Is UConn thin? Look at how many teams really go beyond 6 major contributors. Barring injury, UConn looks in good shape.

Reaction Score
Michelle Smith tweeted she's voting Oregon #1 due to Oregon's better schedule today. Mechelle Voepelle liked it, so I presume she's of the same mindset.

Megan Gauer and Mechelle Voepel liked

Michelle Smith
@macsmith413

·
7h

Just putting it out there.
@BeaverWBB
getting my vote for No. 1. Three double-digits wins over ranked teams. Beat DePaul by 21. UConn beat them by 10, for lone win over ranked team. Obviously toughest part of Huskies sked to come. But Beavers have better resume today.

Michelle Smith is from the Left Coast :)
If I were a betting man, Oregon remains the safe bet.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Being No. 1 is an ego boost but little more. I would like to see a ranking that shows which teams are improving the most. UConn would be No. 1 in that category. Virtually every player on UConn's thin roster is improving not in small steps but in giant leaps. The road to the FF and a NC got a little easier as Liv continues to domination on the court. Is UConn thin? Look at how many teams really go beyond 6 major contributors. Barring injury, UConn looks in good shape.

Nice article by Anthony on what number is important and it is not a #1 in December. Hint. Liv.

Also, here is a blurb by Meg explaining exactly what it takes to be successful at UConn. This is why some players play and grow and excel and some (hopefully few) do not

“She’s more confident,” UConn junior Megan Walker said of Nelson-Ododa. “I’ve been in her shoes. I just really try to encourage her, let her know she’s doing great and that we need her and that, these performances, she can do every night. She’s gained a little bit of muscle. But playing here, I don’t feel like it’s physical. I feel like it’s mental. And she’s doing a great job of having a year under her belt and becoming a smarter player.”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
All along I've believed they had a chance to go all the way. This is a nice accomplishment for a team that has had so many question marks and doubters. The ranking is mostly meaningless at this point, obviously. All that really matters is the final tournament where anything can happen and an injury or foul trouble could make all the difference. But with Geno I like our chances. By the way, I'm glad for the doubters. Up to a point, they probably help UConn keep its edge, which has to be tough given how often they win.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom