Went to game last night | The Boneyard

Went to game last night

Reaction Score
First off the remaining Syracuse fans were jerks.

Iowa was way way way bigger faster stronger than Uconn--not close. In person in decent seats it was grossly apparent. Uconn looked like a good HS team against Iowa despite any score.
Iowa also played with cohesion. It looked like they stole the Virginia defense. As the ball moved side to soide 2-3 long armed big guys wrapped up uconn shooters. When Uconn drove they were outmatched.

The ONLY possibility to compete against a team this good wouldve been a full out forceful full court press with many steals and many 3s. In terms of match up--no match. No chance.

One guy from Iwoa looked like Lebron James physically --maybe 6-9 250/260 and athletic

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
The crowd sounded good on TV. Two awesome moments: 1) at the start of the game, there was an older lady in UConn shirt who chugged her beer. Not mugging to the camera, she just chugged it down. 2) three UCONN fans brought a CT flag and were waving it as they went to commercial. Awesome.

Reaction Score
First off the remaining Syracuse fans were jerks.

Iowa was way way way bigger faster stronger than Uconn--not close. In person in decent seats it was grossly apparent. Uconn looked like a good HS team against Iowa despite any score.
Iowa also played with cohesion. It looked like they stole the Virginia defense. As the ball moved side to soide 2-3 long armed big guys wrapped up uconn shooters. When Uconn drove they were outmatched.

The ONLY possibility to compete against a team this good wouldve been a full out forceful full court press with many steals and many 3s. In terms of match up--no match. No chance.

One guy from Iwoa looked like Lebron James physically --maybe 6-9 250/260 and athletic
There is no way Iowa is faster than us.

Reaction Score
There is no way Iowa is faster than us.
On the basketball court Iowa looked bigger faster and longer. I never saw UConn with a speed advantage. They could not get into gaps they could not drive past anyone they did not get up absorb the floor they did not get to balls faster they did no affect Iowa on d. In fact Iowa’s press looked much better than anything UConn through at it. O sorry UConn was not faster at all

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The crowd sounded good on TV. Two awesome moments: 1) at the start of the game, there was an older lady in UConn shirt who chugged her beer. Not mugging to the camera, she just chugged it down. 2) three UCONN fans brought a CT flag and were waving it as they went to commercial. Awesome.
Add to that the "Thank you Hurley" chant when he got ejected. Awesome moment for a new coach.

Reaction Score
Scrappy seems to be confusing Iowa's strength and a good defensive gameplan with speed.
They were quick enough and were there to defend, on offense they didn’t need speed. They outsized us and driving to the rim didn’t work much. Didn’t have to be there in person to see what Cook and Garza we’re doing. They only shot 30% from 3 but went to the line like crazy. Tough matchup for us. I don’t think Hurley can game plan against those bigs with what we’ve got.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
@tcf15 @Storrs South can we get some gifs? I saw the flag briefly but not that woman. Would be legendary.

Also the crowd had Hurley’s back on everything. I loved it and so did people on Twitter.

Reaction Score
@tcf15 @Storrs South can we get some gifs? I saw the flag briefly but not that woman. Would be legendary.

Also the crowd had Hurley’s back on everything. I loved it and so did people on Twitter.

I'm looking back at the game now and I'll see what i can find. I already found the miscall when Tarin Smith stole the ball then went off the ref and should have been an easy basket but ref said he was outbounds. Can't wait to find the other 1,000 calls they got wrong.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
On the basketball court Iowa looked bigger faster and longer. I never saw UConn with a speed advantage. They could not get into gaps they could not drive past anyone they did not get up absorb the floor they did not get to balls faster they did no affect Iowa on d. In fact Iowa’s press looked much better than anything UConn through at it. O sorry UConn was not faster at all
I disagree that UConn was not faster - by far UConn was faster and more athletic
What killed them was/is that Iowa is bigger, stronger and much more experienced. They recruited to play in Big10 which is full of teams that have teams that should have pads on instead of sneakers.
The unfortunate things was that UConn was not prepared to play a team with that size and had looked like they had no game plan and no adjustments.
Yeah the refs absolutely sucked and played a part in the team never being able to dig out of the hole but lack of rebounding and horrid shooting will kill you every time
I think next time DH will be sure to bring a Plan B rather than worrying about the calls

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I agree with Scrappy that our guards were slow last night. Couldn't penetrate and less consistently swarmy on D

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
They looked a little tired to me.

Biggest issue - Iowa was just plain too big and UConn doesn’t have a lot of options against that.

Cobb stepped up, but that’s the only real size on the team and with MD and SW out, a thin front court is threadbare.

It’s going to take two years to put the roster back where it needs to be after a few years of neglect.

Reaction Score
On TV, Iowa looked huge.
Last week when I was at the Morehead St. game, I was surprised by how small AG was. He’s really small. Putting him against those giants from Iowa... yeah, not a great physical match up.

Reaction Score
I disagree that UConn was not faster - by far UConn was faster and more athletic
What killed them was/is that Iowa is bigger, stronger and much more experienced. They recruited to play in Big10 which is full of teams that have teams that should have pads on instead of sneakers.
The unfortunate things was that UConn was not prepared to play a team with that size and had looked like they had no game plan and no adjustments.
Yeah the refs absolutely sucked and played a part in the team never being able to dig out of the hole but lack of rebounding and horrid shooting will kill you every time
I think next time Dan Hurley will be sure to bring a Plan B rather than worrying about the calls
Are you a UConn fan or just an Ollie fan?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I'm looking back at the game now and I'll see what i can find. I already found the miscall when Tarin Smith stole the ball then went off the ref and should have been an easy basket but ref said he was outbounds. Can't wait to find the other 1,000 calls they got wrong.
Any luck with the woman chugging a beer? I’m assuming the compilation of horrendous calls is taking time lol

Reaction Score
It would have been a experiment, but I would like to have seen Cobb and Carlton get a few minutes together. Hurley did give Brendan Adams some meaningful time in the second half which was a forward looking thing to do. There may come a time when we need to see size in the front court.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom