Well, that was all right, no? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Well, that was all right, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Phil is a remarkable personality, but the reality is that he averaged less than two points and less than two rebounds in 15 minutes of playing time as a junior...

...with stress aggravation or stress fracture in one or both feet right? That will make you look flat footed, which Phil did. I think we'll see more from him this season. He's not Okafor, but I think he'll be a pleasant surprise in the limited minutes he gets

Reaction Score
So what big has he developed in various facets of the game to make me look silly - Lubin, Facey, Brimah (other than his natural shot blocking), Nolan? Again I like Coach Miller and think he is a good coach - just not a Bigs coach.

Brimah began playing basketball when he was 16 and is listed as one of the top 10 centers in the NCAA this year and will potentially be drafted in the NBA. If you don't think he has developed then you haven't been watching.

...with stress aggravation or stress fracture in one or both feet right? That will make you look flat footed, which Phil did. I think we'll see more from him this season. He's not Okafor, but I think he'll be a pleasant surprise in the limited minutes he gets

Love Phil Nolan. Thinks he brings a lot to the table for team chemistry and experience. With that said I don't expect much on the court production from him this year. I wouldn't be surprised if his minutes are drastically cut this year. Mostly this depends on Miller and Brimah staying out of foul trouble.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
3) He doesn't play like him, but how many of people had momentary flashbacks to Ben Gordon with the #4 running around there? If Miller is the answer to 3,000 questions about last year's team, Sterling is the answer to like 1,500. He can shoot, he can pass, he can dribble, he can score 20 points and you're not sure when he did it.

Plus, with the subtraction of Boatright, he's the answer to about 1,500 additional questions about THIS years team. That makes 3,000 total questions answered by Miller too.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Miller kind of reminds me of Donny Marshall, similar build, similar intensity.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
1)
5) The front court is vastly better than it was last year. Most of it is the inclusion of Miller, but Amida was admittedly a terror tonight - fans in the stands had free wings in record time. He did hunt blocks on a couple of occasions, but he probably ended up blocking those shots, so that's that. Some of his blocks were like punts - he had some hang time on a few of 'em. Facey gets bumped down one spot in the rotation and still puts up a very Facey-like six points and six rebounds -- and he was flying around the court. The front court is so long and then you bring in Facey - makes this difficult on an opponent's second flight. Enoch was very big and very lost at times, but last year, we had Lubin in the very big and very lost position and this will end so much better for us.

The advantage, even this year, is that Enoch is bigger, longer, more athletic, and moves much better than Lubin. Enoch's 5 fouls >> Lubin's 5 fouls. And, as you say, Enoch's upside is far superior Lubin, again, even this year.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Agree with everything Fishy said.

I just wish we had one more guard for the rotation. These hand-check rules have me jumpy.

Agreed, but it is nice to have two legit points. Although a tweener, I believe Omar has enough to hold down the 2 guard spot in a pinch. An injury to our top three guards would be brutal though.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Three point shooting is still a question mark in my mind but against most teams it will be by committee and good enough given the other ways we can score. In big games - I don't see who that great three point shooter is? I do think we have a collection of guys who can hit some - Gibbs, Adams, Hamilton, Calhoun. Purvis and Sam Jr. None are knock out 3 point shooters. The key will be to be unselfish and go with the guys that are relatively hot in a particular game..
?

Gibbs shot almost 44% from three last year, as the sole focus of the other team's defense. In comparison, neither Rashad anderson, nor Ben Gordon, nor Shabazz Napier, nor Kemba Walker ever matched that number. Gibbs is as knock down as it gets from the pg spot.

Note, I'm not comparing the size of Gibbs testiculos to Rashad's. That's blasphemy.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
So what big has he developed in various facets of the game to make me look silly - Lubin, Facey, Brimah (other than his natural shot blocking), Nolan? Again I like Coach Miller and think he is a good coach - just not a Bigs coach.

You have to have quality ingredients to make a gourmet meal. For the most part, that group's total upside maxes out at as a nice reuben sandwich. Pete Newell himself couldnt change that.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
agree with it... i think if omar continues to work at it and his confidence remains high he can be like giffey this year but with a better handle... a knock down three point shooter to spread the floor

I dont know what Omar's upside is this year, but he's not coming near high 40s in three point percentage.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Chief,
Brimah was a great scouting job and he came here as a huge project. He's come very far no matter how you see his weaknesses.
AD and AO left, so I guess you are saying Facey hasn't developed enough? I think the jury is still out on him. Nolan? Who didn't develop?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I committed the cardinal sin of not realizing UConn was playing last night. I went to a movie with my son and when I got out I on one of the humongous screens at Buffalo Wild Wings that there was a husky post game show on SNY. By the way, the free Buffalo Wild Wings were very tasty. :) The silver lining is when I got home I noticed there was some TBD basketball game listed on SNY in the early morning hours which I recorded. Lo and behold when I got up in the morning there was the UConn game recorded fo

They played really well last night. And you missed the game. You know what that means. You unfortunately have to wait until the following day to watch every game from here on out. For the Mojo. Sorry, Dog, but you did it t yourself.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
They played really well last night. And you missed the game. You know what that means. You unfortunately have to wait until the following day to watch every game from here on out. For the Mojo. Sorry, Dog, but you did it t yourself.

What season was it when DogMania got the "post only in haiku's" sentence from the jurdge? Anyway, we need DM in the chatroom. We should file these early season offenses for future reference as needed unless the offense was really heinous and egregious. They'll be several of those coming up, I would guess.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
What season was it when DogMania got the "post only in haiku's" sentence from the jurdge? Anyway, we need DM in the chatroom. We should file these early season offenses for future reference as needed unless the offense was really heinous and egregious. They'll be several of those coming up, I would guess.

You mean like completely forgetting about the home opener???

Reaction Score
Have to disagree on only this. His purpose of guarding the low post is still there and no one does it better on this team. Brimah was great yesterday but he still doesn't move his feet on the low block and was burnt by a low white dude a lot after he realized he just needed to get his shoulder in to prevent the blocked shot. Phil body's up better and will contribute if for that reason only.
Totally agree. Nolan's role will be to lock down the big goon who scores at will on us.

C

Chief00

I hope Gibbs is our 3 guy - I did say I thought he would bring us out of the scoring droughts we saw last year.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
You mean like completely forgetting about the home opener???

Yeah, like that. But what you need for that to matter is some desire for blood from the masses (dirty unwashed, Boneyard Horde) and we're all far too pleased with things to much care. Check back after the first loss, that might do it.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I, like everyone else, really liked what I saw from the team against Maine. This is Ollie's most talented team he's had so far and the best team we've had since 09. Hopefully it can end with similar results.

By the way can I post without moderator approval anymore. I'm fine when I'm just talking basketball I promise. :)

OK

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Just re-watched the 2nd half last night. I know it's only Maine, but we have scoring options EVERYWHERE. So pumped to see how this season unfolds.

Reaction Score
Agree with many of the positive comments on how well we did against a relatively weak opening opponent - still have some concerns (couple of minutes against moderate pressure resulted in some less than admirable efforts getting the ball over half-court and we still are getting moved around under the basket) but speed, defense and team chemistry can overcome a less than perfect team (which of course not one has). Adams looks like a great shooter and hopefully Hamilton will consistently finish getting to the hoop, allowing his dish offs to the big men to continue to work against better teams.

Reaction Score
I committed the cardinal sin of not realizing UConn was playing last night. I went to a movie with my son and when I got out I on one of the humongous screens at Buffalo Wild Wings that there was a husky post game show on SNY. By the way, the free Buffalo Wild Wings were very tasty. :) The silver lining is when I got home I noticed there was some TBD basketball game listed on SNY in the early morning hours which I recorded. Lo and behold when I got up in the morning there was the UConn game recorded for me. I guess the TV gods were forgiving.

Just a few observations about the game. I like seeing the pressure that KO is imposing on the other team. I like the chemistry I see between the players considering there are a lot of new ones and some returning ones in new roles. The depth at each position is crazy deep. Should make the team somewhat foul protected. It will be very interesting to see how well this team performs against teams with similar talent level. So far, it looks promising.

And one crazy observation. We haven't seen thunder calves on a UConn player since Eric Hayward. Shonn Miller got a couple of torpedoes on the bottom of his legs. He reminds me of a Rudy Johnson type build, for those who go that far back.

Only Dogmania could forget there was a game.....and still submit the longest post in this thread. His diarrhea of the mouth is in mid season form.

Reaction Score
It seemed that thee were many plays in which the ball was bouncing around out of control of anyone leading to scrambles and scrums. I can see 1 or 2 in a game, but it seemed like every other play for awhile. Need to care for the ball.

C

Chief00

Chief,
Brimah was a great scouting job and he came here as a huge project. He's come very far no matter how you see his weaknesses.
AD and AO left, so I guess you are saying Facey hasn't developed enough? I think the jury is still out on him. Nolan? Who didn't develop?

Quite frankly, I think Brimah is a great kid and shot blocker. I think where we differ is I try to break down other aspects of his game and identify areas of improvements. I do think on offense he has really got his timing down on the lob pass from Daniel. He did get 7 rebounds so some improvement there too.

Reaction Score
I think where we differ is I try to break down other aspects of his game and identify areas of improvements.

I agree. You really stand alone on this board in identifying areas where Brimah could improve. Besides you, I don't think we've had a single poster identify any areas where the kid needs to get better. That subject certainly doesn't take over every other thread on the board.

Reaction Score
I agree. You really stand alone on this board in identifying areas where Brimah could improve. Besides you, I don't think we've had a single poster identify any areas where the kid needs to get better. That subject certainly doesn't take over every other thread on the board.

Not pulling me on this one Crack ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky