Well, it's a full fledged disaster and it's only going to get.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Well, it's a full fledged disaster and it's only going to get....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know 3 parents of players on this team. Don't believe everything you read. Slanted I'm not. Honest enough to say I'm ignorant to what the players are going through.

Hey, they are going through a frustrating season which is testing their will power and they are questioning how the heck they ended up in such a disasterous program. Its devastating to their psyche. They have resentment, doubts and are worrying what happens next. They must suspect more than a handful of scholarships are at risk, and the next HC will be looking past these kids.

BUT, this is their calling and they alone have to decide whether they want to give in or reach deep down and find some character and pride. They might go 0-12, but the question is will they go 0-12 losing by 30, 40 and 50 points a game going through the motions and quitting the minute they face in game adversity, or are they going to fight. UCF was nothing more than watching a team starting to give up once they faced adversity. Many of us have been around to kn ow the difference between teams totally out manned that fight like warriors against the odds, and teams that quit. I was proud of our transiiton kids who went out and left it all on the field. Even when playing the GTechs and Miami's of the world totally out matched, they put up credible efforts. This. This is disgusting. We are all savvy enough to know the difference. This is on the kids, and they need to stop feeling sorry for themselves and start playing 4 quarters of intense football.

Reaction Score
I've seen more intensity in a 3 on 3 pickup basketball game amongst 50 year olds, and no acceptance of slackers on your side. One thing to put in work and not be good enough, another to just not give it and/or accept your teammate not giving it.

Reaction Score
I think Pudge is right. This is one of the most poorly coached football teams I have seen, maybe ever. But I don't think the talent is all that different from what we have had since 2007. It isn't utilized correctly. I don't think the conditioning is what it was, and it clearly is poorly coached. False starts in key situations, personal fouls, all that nonsense, is largely coaching. And it has been poorly coached for 2.5 years so trying to right the ship mid season was never going to be easy. It is clearly over the head of this staff. the sole bright spot has been the job Foley has done making the oline, while not dominant, at least capable sometimes. But I think with the right hire, this team could very quickly turn it around. Not to 12-0 but to respectability, in a year or two at the outside. Once that happens, there is hope.

By the way, Carl, I don't like any of this posturing and other nonsense whether its on an 0-7 team or a 7-0 team. The only stuff I like to see is actual excitement, jumping and such that you see when teams, not individuals, make key plays in key moments. But given where this team has been this year, I took McCombs' act with a grain of salt. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that A. he was truly excited to break a long run; and B. he was trying to get people pumped up. Were I there, I'd have told him to knock it off, but I've seen a lot worse.

Reaction Score
You don't like it? Screw you.

That kid pulled the same crap after a run in the Michigan game, flexing his arms, and my friends all looked at each other then, and said the same things - WTF are you doing? You ain't done nothing kid. Weist has already noted that there's a problem taking him off the field after an endzone celebration in a previous game, but it wasn't enough.

This team has no effective leadership and it's clear as day. It's too late for the upper classmen, it's up to the younger players that are working hard enough to step up and be ont eh field to take over. They aren't going to win over the entire team, but they will be able to keep the players that truly give a crap about winning with them.

I'll stop with McCombs now, because I've made my point. Who do you want to talk about next?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What can a fan do except hope it doesn't get too much worse? But how realistic is that, given that each week brings a new low? The fact is this season was entirely predictable once it was clear that P was coming back. Now the guy who didn't see this train wreck coming gets to make the next hire. Our only hope is luck. We deserve some, but is that a plan?

Reaction Score
Freescooter - apologies for the 'screw you', that wasn't necessary, and I'm fired up and angry. So - sorry. I'm not going to change it though. The rest I'm not sorry about writing at all. Any of it.

I am heavily invested in this football program, this athletic department, and this University. I am very, very, very much disappointed and angry in the performance of the athletes that have taken the field wearing the name of my alma mater on the front of their jerseys.

I really wanted to take a break from writing for awhile, but I had to come back and respond to some things.

#1. This team is playing much worse in the past month since Pasqualoni was fired. There was a feeling among some that the players were wrong to celebrate that Pasqualoni and Deleone were fired the way they did. I didn't have a problem with it, because if you're going to celebrate like that, that's fine, you better be able to back it up.

They didn't back it up, and those that thought they were wrong in celebrating like that - are vindicated - but so what.

#2. There is an attitude of entitlement in the way these current players perform. I'll leave Mike Leach's rant that was posted around here to explain why.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
You don't like it? Screw you.

That kid pulled the same crap after a run in the Michigan game, flexing his arms, and my friends all looked at each other then, and said the same things - WTF are you doing? You ain't done nothing kid. Weist has already noted that there's a problem taking him off the field after an endzone celebration in a previous game, but it wasn't enough.

This team has no effective leadership and it's clear as day. It's too late for the upper classmen, it's up to the younger players that are working hard enough to step up and be ont eh field to take over. They aren't going to win over the entire team, but they will be able to keep the players that truly give a crap about winning with them.

I'll stop with McCombs now, because I've made my point. Who do you want to talk about next?

What is wrong with him showing some pride and emotion?

Have you never watched a Calhoun coached team?

Reaction Score
What can a fan do except hope it doesn't get too much worse? But how realistic is that, given that each week brings a new low? The fact is this season was entirely predictable once it was clear that P was coming back. Now the guy who didn't see this train wreck coming gets to make the next hire. Our only hope is luck. We deserve some, but is that a plan?

Dude - I understand your concern, but in reality, there was plenty to be positive about moving forward in December 2012 and keeping Pasqualoni. The problem all along, was George Deleone. I can't fault Manuel for not knowing that and recognizing it, because DeLeone has been able to fool some very, very good football coaches, and football administrators/businessmen, that he knows what he's doing for a long time. I actually was believing that he could do something different for a while, simply blinded by the fact that we both have same piece of paper hanging on the wall, in a UCONN diploma. He couldn't possibly screw up his own alma mater could he? The answer is yes.

Pasqualoni is gone because of his relationship with Deleone.

So - it's a huge concern moving forward, the reality is if the next hire proves to be good, we are in reality not that far away from being a competitive and nationally relevant program again, and if the hire is bad, we will be that much farther away from being a competitive and nationally relevant program again, until somebody does come along that rights the ship.

This would be the case no matter who is in charge, and I really have no reason to judge Manuel as unable to be successful at this point.

What concerns me, is if Manuel did handpick Weist as a co-ordinator and eventual successor - as the rumor mill will have it be. I don't think that's ever been stated as more than a rumor though. Weist himself has said that Pasqualoni is the guy that hired him, and Manuel has given no sign at all that Weist is a front runner for the job. His statement, was that if he wants to "considered" he has to win.

Reaction Score
What is wrong with him showing some pride and emotion?

Have you never watched a Calhoun coached team?

You're kidding right? Probably not.

Have you ever seen Calhoun discipline a player that was showboating when they got nothing to back it up with?

And on top of that, the discipline and accountability that has to exist among a football team of 85 scholarship players is a lot different than what needs to be maintained on a 15 man basketball team.

You absolutely need a chain of command of sorts in a football team that maintains discipline.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
You're kidding right? Probably not.

Have you ever seen Calhoun discipline a player that was showboating when they got nothing to back it up with?

Under normal circumstances, I would agree with you, Carl. The problem for me is the fact that McCombs is seemingly the only one out there showing any emotion whatsoever. Should he flex his biceps? Probably not. But at least someone seems like they are excited to play football on that field. I think you'll agree with me about the fact that this UConn team seems lifeless, and has seem lifeless for the better part of this season...

Reaction Score
When you step back and look at the situation, it really looks like poor coaching. For example, UCONN's starting offensive line is 4 RS Seniors and a RS Junior. Look at their size:

LT: 6-9 309
LG: 6-5 308
C: 6-4 315
LG: 6-4 316
LT: 6-6 317

Under GDL, they looked awful with many missed assignments and a poor running game. In the last 2 games, the OLine has looked much better under Foley (with a true freshman QB) and the run game has improved. In my opinion, if Foley had been OLine coach the last few years, this would have been a solid line this year.

Also, take a look at UCONN's DEs this year. Both are much bigger (6-3 262, 6-4 267) than what we are used to at UCONN. Plus, they are much slower (It seems Jesse Joseph is not back to his old self) than what UCONN has traditionally used.

Reaction Score
Under normal circumstances, I would agree with you, Carl. The problem for me is the fact that McCombs is seemingly the only one out there showing any emotion whatsoever. Should he flex his biceps? Probably not. But at least someone seems like they are excited to play football on that field. I think you'll agree with me about the fact that this UConn team seems lifeless, and has seem lifeless for the better part of this season...

The problem Dan , IMNSHO, is exactly that - McCombs IS showing emotion, and intensity - but it's completely misguided, and the team has gravitated to it. There is no reason whatsoever to be celebrating that play he made on Saturday. If he wants to be a leader, he should have sprinted back to the huddle and been screaming at his teammate "that f9cker caught me, make sure you're blocking all the way where the fIck were you, you know I'm not fast enough!! " Something - anything other than what he did. If there was an offensive player on the sideline where he stood doing that, that was a leader, or at least a senior that has experienced winning, they should have done exactly what I've said, and grab him by the head and point at the scoreboard while teling him to get back on the field. If there was a senior leader on this team, that was able to do lead, what I'm talking about would have happened in the film rooms, in the locker rooms, in the apartments, in private a long time ago, and I wouldn't be writing extensively about it right now.

players, coaches, need to be brutally honest with themselves and each other. Otherwise it's all BS.

Weist was not honest with this team when he told them they are NOT an 0-6 team. McCombs is not being honest with himself with his behavior after that play (and it's not an isolated incident). Edsall was honest with himself in knowing that he was ready to move on from UCONN. Pasqualoni was NOT honest with himself in his evaluation of George DeLeone and it cost him his job - twice. You get me?

Reaction Score
BTW - I made the point about the sidelines, and then something happening in the film rooms, or in their apartments in private.....because the senior offensive linemen, that are on this team, probably had no idea that McCombs was on the sideline flexing his arms on that play, unless they actually watch the game replay on TV, or someone tells them about it. Because that kind of thing, they aren't seeing on the field, and won't see in the game film cutups either.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
The problem Dan , IMNSHO, is exactly that - McCombs IS showing emotion, and intensity - but it's completely misguided, and the team has gravitated to it. There is no reason whatsoever to be celebrating that play he made on Saturday. If he wants to be a leader, he should have sprinted back to the huddle and been screaming at his teammate "that f9cker caught me, make sure you're blocking all the way where the fIck were you, you know I'm not fast enough!! " Something - anything other than what he did. If there was an offensive player on the sideline where he stood doing that, that was a leader, or at least a senior that has experienced winning, they should have done exactly what I've said, and grab him by the head and point at the scoreboard while teling him to get back on the field. If there was a senior leader on this team, that was able to do lead, what I'm talking about would have happened in the film rooms, in the locker rooms, in the apartments, in private a long time ago, and I wouldn't be writing extensively about it right now.

players, coaches, need to be brutally honest with themselves and each other. Otherwise it's all bull .

Weist was not honest with this team when he told them they are NOT an 0-6 team. McCombs is not being honest with himself with his behavior after that play (and it's not an isolated incident). Edsall was honest with himself in knowing that he was ready to move on from UCONN. Pasqualoni was NOT honest with himself in his evaluation of George DeLeone and it cost him his job - twice. You get me?

I understand what you're saying, but I don't agree with all of it. Was McCombs' emotion misplaced or misdisplayed? Yes. Should he be telling the rest of the team, "...I'm not fast enough?" Not in a million years! He has to show that he is confident in himself. If I'm the coach and my starting running back isn't showing confidence in himself, I have to question whether he should be the starting running back. I do agree with you that this team is absent of leaders, though. That's painfully clear. They are playing like they have one foot in the grave.

As to honesty, I don't think that has anything to do with it. Weist said what he said to try to motivate the players, who are clearly shell-shocked. Edsall leaving had nothing to do with honesty; it had to do with Edsall doing what Edsall wanted to do. Pasqualoni's problem wasn't honesty....it was loyalty...

Reaction Score
I understand what you're saying, but I don't agree with all of it. Was McCombs' emotion misplaced or misdisplayed? Yes. Should he be telling the rest of the team, "...I'm not fast enough?" Not in a million years! He has to show that he is confident in himself. If I'm the coach and my starting running back isn't showing confidence in himself, I have to question whether he should be the starting running back. I do agree with you that this team is absent of leaders, though. That's painfully clear. They are playing like they have one foot in the grave.

As to honesty, I don't think that has anything to do with it. Weist said what he said to try to motivate the players, who are clearly shell-shocked. Edsall leaving had nothing to do with honesty; it had to do with Edsall doing what Edsall wanted to do. Pasqualoni's problem wasn't honesty....it was loyalty...

Don't take me so literal...all the time. My point was being able to critically evaluate both yourself and others, and do it effectively and make positive use of it. It's a very important lesson that can be learned through sport - specifically football. Because in no other sport, is so much time spent, analyzing what you've done.

Of course a player isn't going to admit weakness. But it's pretty frigging clear that he can get run down from behind in a sprint pretty easily to anyone watching the past 2 seasons, and him screaming at his team to get downfield and block, is a much better demonstrating passion and leadership than flexing his biceps. Am I obsessing on something - sure - but it's not an isolated incident, and it's not unique to one player - he just happens to be the lottery winner for my "vitriol". How many good team do see, wehre a player is hustling down the field right next to the guy that's carrying the ball? AS for the coaching comments - same thing - wasn't meant to be taken so literally, but it's still on target. Edsall knew what he had at UCONN, better than anyone, and he didn't want to stay. Pasqualoni, couldn't possibly have been objetve and honest with what Deleone was producing with his responsibilities in the program.

How about this? The guy gets tackled on the sideline that far down field, and the first place he's looking - is where his wide receivers are? I wonder where they are on the film and what speed they are at, or if they are watching and cheering for a play that went out of bounds?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Am I obsessing on something - sure - but it's not an isolated incident, and it's not unique to one player - he just happens to be the lottery winner for my "vitriol"

By winning the Spackler Vitriol Lottery, I feel like he should also get a toaster or beer cozy as well... ;)

Reaction Score
I know it's easy to blame the players, and they do get some blame here, but I'll say it again..

3 DC's in 4 years

3 OC's in 4 years

An OL coach that did more damage than can be put into words.

A HC that couldn't coach a flea to jump.

An injury to a WR we could not afford.

I have never played football at this high a level and I'm guessing 99% of this board hasn't either. But if you think all of the above does not have a major impact on player's performances you just don't get it.

The biggest damage was done by GDL, in a very big way.

If you've ever been is sales and had your sales manager and upper management changed constantly, with an Alec Baldwin type boss (Glengary Glenn Ross), i.e., GDL, you would get it.

These guys were given very little chance to succeed. If RE was still coach, at the very least, we go bowling the past 2 years. This year, who knows.

If you haven't walked in the players shoes you really just don't know. You may think you do, but you don't. None of us do.

+1000000

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
If he wants to be a leader, he should have sprinted back to the huddle and been screaming at his teammate "that f9cker caught me, make sure you're blocking all the way where the fIck were you, you know I'm not fast enough!! "

I honestly don't believe that blocking downfield on 30+ yard runs is one of the biggest problems we have.

I sure would like to see that problem crop up more and more.

If we don't celebrate and show emotion when the game is close and we just had a 57 yard run, we aren't going to have many other better opportunities.

I think are nuts to complain about 57 yard runs.

Reaction Score
I know it's easy to blame the players, and they do get some blame here, but I'll say it again..

3 DC's in 4 years

3 OC's in 4 years

An OL coach that did more damage than can be put into words.

A HC that couldn't coach a flea to jump.

An injury to a WR we could not afford.

I have never played football at this high a level and I'm guessing 99% of this board hasn't either. But if you think all of the above does not have a major impact on player's performances you just don't get it.

The biggest damage was done by GDL, in a very big way.

If you've ever been is sales and had your sales manager and upper management changed constantly, with an Alec Baldwin type boss (Glengary Glenn Ross), i.e., GDL, you would get it.

These guys were given very little chance to succeed. If RE was still coach, at the very least, we go bowling the past 2 years. This year, who knows.

If you haven't walked in the players shoes you really just don't know. You may think you do, but you don't. None of us do.

It's rare that I agree with you but in this case I believe you are 100% spot on.

Reaction Score
I honestly don't believe that blocking downfield on 30+ yard runs is one of the biggest problems we have.

I sure would like to see that problem crop up more and more.

If we don't celebrate and show emotion when the game is close and we just had a 57 yard run, we aren't going to have many other better opportunities.

I think are nuts to complain about 57 yard runs.

I'm not complaining about 57 yard runs. You must have missed that.

I'm complaining about a repeated pattern of behavior, that happened after a 57 yard run, when we were down 7-0 on the scoreboard, and are an 0-6 team, and is entirely representative and symptomatic of what this team is right now.

TJ Weist, in his first game as a head coach, felt the need to sit McCombs for a series because of his behavior in the game. Why was that? Tell me I'm crazy about that. Did it happen or not? Why on earth would he do that?

Weist - understands the problems, but he's been thrown into a situation that is virtually impossible to change, unless leadership emerges from the team itself, because he is an interim, and he doesn't have the juice to enforce what needs to be enforced.

Reaction Score
Hey, they are going through a frustrating season which is testing their will power and they are questioning how the heck they ended up in such a disasterous program. Its devastating to their psyche. They have resentment, doubts and are worrying what happens next. They must suspect more than a handful of scholarships are at risk, and the next HC will be looking past these kids.

BUT, this is their calling and they alone have to decide whether they want to give in or reach deep down and find some character and pride. They might go 0-12, but the question is will they go 0-12 losing by 30, 40 and 50 points a game going through the motions and quitting the minute they face in game adversity, or are they going to fight. UCF was nothing more than watching a team starting to give up once they faced adversity. Many of us have been around to kn ow the difference between teams totally out manned that fight like warriors against the odds, and teams that quit. I was proud of our transiiton kids who went out and left it all on the field. Even when playing the GTechs and Miami's of the world totally out matched, they put up credible efforts. This. This is disgusting. We are all savvy enough to know the difference. This is on the kids, and they need to stop feeling sorry for themselves and start playing 4 quarters of intense football.

You like many other posters think it's as easy as, "just suck it up" and play. Maybe 1% of the people on this board have a clue on what it's like to go through what these players have gone through in the past 2.5 years.

You and everyone else can bloviate until the cows come home. You're just another know it all internet poster that people "in the know", i.e., coaches, players and scouts laugh at on a daily basis.

People post like they have a clue. They don't. Not one iota of a clue. "Man up"....Don't quit on the team"....Play hard all the time"

I doubt there are more than 3 people on this board who could put in the effort these players put in 12 months out of the year.

Takes real men to bash them to death after the bull they've been through.

Really easy from the bleachers ain't it guys?

By the way...all you smart guys who thought Smallwood's stock has dropped this year? He's a semi finalist for the Butkus award. Top 12 in the country.

Reaction Score
Ok - quick question - I don't give a hoot about what you think of Pasqualoni as a coach, and if the palyers liked him or not.

Is the defense better now, or worse since Pasqualoni was fired and running the defense? Is the entire team playing better now, or worse since Pasqualoni was fired? Answer that honestly.

Don't get me wrong, Pasqualoni had to go, and he had to go because he failed to fire his buddy Deleone after last season, and I believe whole heartedly that his allegiance to Deleone is what cost him the trust and support of his players - so he had to go.

But you are being dishonest and misguided if you can't see that the players are responsible for what's happening on the field now, and that they are worse without Pasqualoni as the head coach.

There is partial effort all over the place, there are stupid penalties being committed all over the place by both freshmen and extended year seniors, and there are players that have no business, talent wise, effort wise, and leadership wise to be showboating, and there is no discipline in place to point out that you better frigging get back to the huddle and do your job as accurately and forcefully and with the most effort you can, and do what you can for the team to get a win, before you go out and put some kind of nonsense celebration together after a play on TV being broadcast across the entire country.

Trust me - if I had my way, Lyle McCombs would never play another down of UCONN football after his reaction to the long run on Saturday, and he's just the most visible example, there are more. It would be done, because there are no players on the team to take care of the attitude problem on their own.

This entire program needs to clean house. Randy Edsall's greatest strength, which eventually became his greatest fault at UCONN, was his micromanagement, - but his micromanagement, created the will to win, by demanding that players be disciplined and committed to the team and play with a chip on their shoulders at all time to be on top on the scoreboard - playing to win - at all times.

I remember when Jordan Todman scored against Notre Dame, and did the touchdown Jesus impersonation. Edsall, ran out on the field as he was coming off, and freaked out about as hard as I did on Saturday in my living room, when McCombs flexed his arms after running play on Saturday that didn't even result in a touchdown because he's too slow.

The difference? McCombs has done nothing, hje didn't even score!!! He got caught from behind AGAIN - by a player cutting across the entire field that was faster, and his team is winless, and undisciplined and has accomplished NOTHING but the worst season in 35 years of UCONN football. Todman's teams were winning and disciplined. Donald Brown was a huge trash talker - but they won, and were disciplined.

THis entire 2013 team is playing with leadership from the players, that is very much like they have a sense of entitlement, that they are better than they are because they play at UCONN, and have friends in the NFL, and Weist's has enabled it. You want to blame coaches, sure - they deserve a good portion of the blame, but the coaching has changed, the players have not.

They are an 0-7 team and getting worse, and every single one of them better look in the mirror and decide what kind of football player they are going to be, and leaders, disciplinary leaders, the emotional leaders, and the players that truly care about the scoreboard, need to get up and do something, or this team will continue to fold like a house of cards in the remaining 5 games.

I swear, I am still fuming, that there is no one on this roster or coaching staff, preferably a player, that was tearing McCombs a new after that play and showboat on the sidelines, and grabbing him by the head and forcing him to look at the scoreboard. For me - the game was over - that early. It was 7-0 on the scoreboard, and our players are celebrating on the sideline after a NON-scoring play.

That little arm flex was seen by UCONN fans from the east coast to California, and those of us that know what we're looking at felt the same way. I'm not joking about that.

Yes - I'm making example of him - somebody's got to, because that single play, and his reaction, and the team's reaction to him, sums up entirely in my little world, why this team is 0-7 and getting worse.

I believe 1000%, that if the attitude that I portray here, existed, and that someone - more importantly a player - not the coaches - was there to set McCombs straight after that play - in the way I"ve described, that we would not be a winless team, and threatening to go winless for an entire season.

But no TJ Weist - you are wrong - we WERE an 0-6 team,. and they want to Orlando and played like an 0-6 team, and they are now an 0-7 team.[/quote
I was at the game and sitting behind the bench and what I saw made me sick. I do not post much but after what I saw I have to vent. Some players pouted. Some were laughing. Most had the why %#@ am I here look. I know we should not call out the players because they are just kids but we are now at that fine line. Passion,desire is what this team needs. At this point I would take a kid with a huge heart who might not be this best at his position than someone with all the talent in the world but no passion. Our staff has not been able to get any fire out of them. Carl you are right in how you see it. I was not an Edsall fan. But he always took pride in how he could teach his players to be men first. This is what is lacking out there

Reaction Score
I was at the game and sitting behind the bench and what I saw made me sick. I do not post much but after what I saw I have to vent. Some players pouted. Some were laughing. Most had the why %#@ am I here look. I know we should not call out the players because they are just kids but we are now at that fine line. Passion,desire is what this team needs. At this point I would take a kid with a huge heart who might not be this best at his position than someone with all the talent in the world but no passion. Our staff has not been able to get any fire out of them. Carl you are right in how you see it. I was not an Edsall fan. But he always took pride in how he could teach his players to be men first. This is what is lacking out there

One of my roommates from UCONN was at the game too, and texting me the same things. Is that you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom