Welcome to the Boneyard New Friends Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Welcome to the Boneyard New Friends Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I'm pretty new here but not to forums so I sleuthed around - read old posts, read a few of the history posts, etc so thankfully some of the inside stuff I get although I can't believe I had never seen "post\handle" before this place. I also know better than to get upset with the old hands and inside jokes ;)

I think it's pretty cool to see folks posting here regularly a decade on, and from what I've read some of you have been hanging around and chatting for 20+ years in various incarnations of online Husky fandom.

I watched UConn back in the late 80s/early 90s with my dad as a high schooler (I'm from CT) but then never paid much attention until ~3 years ago when I wanted to find something I could talk to my dad with during our weekly calls (at this point he was in his 70s and had suffered a massive stroke). I'm glad I got back onboard right as the ship was righting itself and missed out on the worst times, salad days here we come!
So basically, no ragrets.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
If you're in to salads there's plenty you can search, but let's get one thing straight, we don't do tossed salad around here. Chef salad? sure. Cobb salad? Most likely the goat. Caesar salad? Only for simps. Tossed salad? No way.
1671154367284.png

Mel says "hi". And he'd like to kick your ass.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Hi y'all. Nomar here.

I'm from Cow Dick, TX and I sell love potions.
Note to newcomers:

On The Boneyard, you might encounter lawyers from New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, California, Massachusetts, really all kinds of places.

They are and aren't everything & nothing like what you've heard...whether you or they know it or not...at the time of this writing or ever...in or out of practice.

You might even be a lawyer under similar conditions.

Welcome.

PS - My dad started taking me to UConn games 60 years ago this month. He died 35 years ago this month, when Khalid El-Amin was a freshman. I've watched UConn MBB win 4 National Championships; that my dad saw zero is an easy reminder that life is often unfair.

Ever since joining this community in the months after the 77-74 victory over those plucky Duke Blue Devils in 1999, I'd estimate that I've met upwards of a handful of Boneyarders, plus or minus a couple of fingers.

This is more or less the only message board I've ever engaged in actively, and UConn basketball comprises - in the past couple decades - well more than 90% of my sports fan interest. Meanwhile, a far far deeper & wider past fades in memory, while still proving many delights.

Reaction Score
Slow week with no games. Rather than derail some of the current dumpster fire threads, figured I would start a new one welcoming our new friends to the Boneyard.

Maybe this could be a safe space to introduce yourself, ask any questions about Boneyard idiosyncrasies you don’t understand, and if needed, let loose about anything on the Boneyard that upsets you.

Welcome to the Boneyard!!! I’d like to see the first response in say, 20 minutes.
Hi,

I’ve been lurking here for several years. This is my first post ever. Graduated in 2001. Lived on campus for all four years-two in Towers (Wade) and two in Alumni (Watson). I’m from Jersey so back then I was one of the few out of staters. I’m still in Jersey.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I’m one of the Fich duo on this site.1999 is the first year I truly remember at 7 years old. Been here for the ups, downs, and recycles. Kemba, Charlie V, and Adrien are my favorite players all time.

I also live in Charlotte and get to see UConn greats turn into NBA dumpster fires for the Hornets on a regular basis.

Always down to chat about anything in life, but love to point out that in 2004 both the UConn Men’s and Women’s teams won the championship in the same season, and then followed it up 10 years later!
7 posts in, someone plays it pretty darn straight, and it's a really nice post. Thanks for this.

More generally: there are many pressures to hide it, but there are a lot of decent, caring, generous, funny, smart, kind, capable, generous, good people here.

Reaction Score
Long time season ticket holder and long time consumer of the yard. Figured since golf season is over I could put down the YouTube instructional videos and spend that free time more wisely on UCBB. I must tell the die hard long term members that the last couple of decades following the forum has been a hell of a ride. Figured it was time to jump in and help protect the turf when the outsiders attack although that seems to be well covered already.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hi, I am CL82. The details of my life are quite inconsequential... very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low-grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen-year-old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent, I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard, really. At the age of twelve, I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum... it's breathtaking- I suggest you try it.

Reaction Score
I have a hard time believing there's a better sports forum than the BY. And my definition of forum is quite broad. For e ample, Barstool and all their podcasts and shows.... I include all of that within my loose definition of forum.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Hi, I am CL82. The details of my life are quite inconsequential... very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low-grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen-year-old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent, I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard, really. At the age of twelve, I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum... it's breathtaking- I suggest you try it.
Even by Boneyard standards this is (…. ).

Ok newbies what say you! Fill in the blank!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum... it's breathtaking- I suggest you try it.
Upon reflection, I'm most surprised that the Sunday wee hours surgical draining of an abscess located in the next adjacent anatomical neighborhood to my scrotum included an IV tracing dye injection, cat scan, ultrasound, multiple anesthetizing needle jabs, and, presumably, a scalpel for the main event...but no shaving, just a Senior discount when Shawn Marie cut my hair earlier this week, with a straight edge razor to my neck as a coda.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Upon reflection, I'm most surprised that the Sunday wee hours surgical draining of an abscess located in the next adjacent anatomical neighborhood to my scrotum included an IV tracing dye injection, cat scan, ultrasound, multiple anesthetizing needle jabs, and, presumably, a scalpel for the main event...but no shaving, just a Senior discount when Shawn Marie cut my hair earlier this week, with a straight edge razor to my neck as a coda.
You really need to get a Zoroastrian doctor.

Reaction Score
UConn Class of '91 here, I've seen pretty much every game that I could since 1987 or so. I was there at MSG when we won the NIT in '88, as well as the Meadowlands in '90 when Burrell-to-Tate lifted us to the highest of highs only to witness first-hand Laettner tearing our hearts out 2 days later. It has been quite a ride. I remember saying to myself in the mid-90s after yet another heartbreaking loss in a regional final that my only goal in life was to see us in a Final Four, never dreamed of how far we would exceed that.

I started lurking on this board right around the time Danny H. was being discussed to replace KO and wanted to get the inside scoop. Since then I have found that for every 25 ridiculous takes, there is a nugget of valuable insight. But I am always entertained. This place scares me, and yet I can't look away...

Reaction Score
Consider myself to be a new guy.. Came to Yard as a Pandemic past time.. Didn't expect to stay long once business environment normalized post-Pandemic. Long -time fan/Yard is my only social media outlet due to professional constraints imposed by compliance and attorneys.

Advice to newbies-- Know your lane-Stay in your lane. Ignore can be your friend. Have a sense of humor

Have often asked the question(s).. Is the Yard a Seinfeld re-run about nothing? Or are the opinions expressed really reflective of the people behind the avatars? Is their brand /schtick/identity/outrageousness/contrarianism really what they think/feel? Do they really think they are as funny as they think they are? My conclusion to these questions is.. Yes.

I have also found that when the shields of the avatars are dispensed with.. There can be excellent information/experiences shared that can benefit everyone on the Yard on a variety of real world topics. For that reason ..And of course a common interest in UConn Men's Basketball success.. I stay.

To all Yarders new and old-- Enjoy the Holiday Season with your Family and Friends.. Let's get a few more Ws.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom