Welcome back, Tonya! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Welcome back, Tonya!

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Welcome Back Coach Tonya Cardoza!! The band is back together!! I remember when new Coach Ben Kantor had to step in for Coach Shae Ralph. Am I the only one who has that feeling? Look out world......they BACK!!!!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
full

Reaction Score
I have no doubt that Tonya Cardozo will help Geno & Co., but I thought the UConn athletic department was in serious financial straits, to the tune of tens of millions in the hole. How many other departments on campus — academic, especially — could justify adding another coach/professor/advisor to serve just 14 students in a tight budget environment?

Reaction Score
I have no doubt that Tonya Cardozo will help Geno & Co., but I thought the UConn athletic department was in serious financial straits, to the tune of tens of millions in the hole. How many other departments on campus — academic, especially — could justify adding another coach/professor/advisor to serve just 14 students in a tight budget environment?
My tax dollars are no object. Having said that, I agree with the hirings. (this is a drop in the bucket compared to some of the stupid things CT spends money on, but I digress..)

Reaction Score
In my opinion, no. If I was on the search committee to replace Geno after he announces his retirement, my first choice (I realize that not many will agree) would be Becky Hammon. She is the current head coach of the WNBA champion Las Vegas Aces. :cool: It would probably take a "God Father" offer to lure her away from the Aces.

View attachment 89692
Carla Berube would be my choice over Hammon any day of the week! She has proven herself in the College game and has consistently won there. Hammon has very little experience on the College level and really not much in the W either except as the coach of the most talented team in the league. I will concede that she may be a very good coach but it’s hard to tell because she has only coached the best team in the W! Give me Carla or Shea please!

Reaction Score
In my opinion, no. If I was on the search committee to replace Geno after he announces his retirement, my first choice (I realize that not many will agree) would be Becky Hammon. She is the current head coach of the WNBA champion Las Vegas Aces. :cool: It would probably take a "God Father" offer to lure her away from the Aces.

View attachment 89692
I'm not sure her potty mouth would fly in today's college environment.

Reaction Score

View attachment 89692
I loved Becky as a player and she is a great coach with experience in the NBA so she might be able to bring a brand that draws more fans to the game but I don't see her at UCONN. Who ever the coach is that follows Geno will have a nightmare of expectations to overcome and I don't see it being a someone from outside the region.

Reaction Score
I would have to think they go bigger. Berube has to get a look. She can flat out coach.

She enjoyed coaching at Tufts. Recruiting may be a different topic. Princeton is a plum job. The school does a lot of your recruiting for you. I don't think either she or Shea would give up where they are.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I would have to think they go bigger. Berube has to get a look. She can flat out coach.
Ok, she can coach. My question is two-fold:
1. Does she have national name recognition? Have the top 20 recruits from the next incoming HS class ever heard of her, much less want to play for her?

2. Can she pull in the same top 5 ranked HS recruits year in and year out like Geno does?

If she can’t, this program becomes irrelevant very quickly. UConn is on the map and very relevant. Can she keep them there?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am really pleased to see Tonya returning to UConn Women's basketball. But, to be honest with you, I really do not understand this Ben Kantor selection and would appreciate having some one explain to me and defend the selection of this new assistant coach.

GG

Reaction Score
Ok, she can coach. My question is two-fold:
1. Does she have national name recognition? Have the top 20 recruits from the next incoming HS class ever heard of her, much less want to play for her?

2. Can she pull in the same top 5 ranked HS recruits year in and year out like Geno does?

If she can’t, this program becomes irrelevant very quickly. UConn is on the map and very relevant. Can she keep them there?
Those are all good questions. Unfortunately, I do not know the answer. Which coach do you believe will realistically come to uconn, and can accomplish all of those things?

Reaction Score
I will be interested to see Ben's role. I wonder since he was a male practice player in his youth, will he maybe end up coordinating and strategizing how the practice players prepare for practice.. I'm sure there has to be a fair amount of work in coordinating and teaching the practice players what they are expected to do. It's like having a whole other team within the program. I could see him being a great person to oversee logistics and do one one on one skills teaching.

sun

Reaction Score
I am really pleased to see Tonya returning to UConn Women's basketball. But, to be honest with you, I really do not understand this Ben Kantor selection and would appreciate having some one explain to me and defend the selection of this new assistant coach.
Maybe as video editor he's been analyzing, providing spreadsheets & helpful hints about player performances.
Geno said in his summer interview that he was going to be recording shooting drills to keep track of how many shots that each player was making as an evaluation method.
As an experienced video editor, if it involves cameras then he would be the one to make the analysis & provide the reports on each player.
That would seem to go beyond the scope of simply being a video editor, so Geno gave him a promotion.

Since he's been watching a lot of video & knows what to look for, he can probably provide a lot of helpful insight.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Most of the top teams have a great recruiter, and its not only the head coach. I often hear that Geno does it all himself - don't buy that. Too much good talent with the championship teams having to scout the entire country. Curious with the new coaching additions, who the Boneyard sees as filling this role. Candidly, neither Tonya nor Jamelle have a great track record recruiting top talent.

Reaction Score
Most of the top teams have a great recruiter, and its not only the head coach. I often hear that Geno does it all himself - don't buy that. Too much good talent with the championship teams having to scout the entire country. Curious with the new coaching additions, who the Boneyard sees as filling this role. Candidly, neither Tonya nor Jamelle have a great track record recruiting top talent.
All of UConn's coaches actively participate in recruiting. Tonya and Jamelle have had great success recruiting top talent for Connecticut. For what it is worth, I doubt that Geno or C.D. could recruit top talent for Cincinnati or Temple. Completely different contexts, cultures, institutional support, etc.

Reaction Score
I will be interested to see Ben's role. I wonder since he was a male practice player in his youth, will he maybe end up coordinating and strategizing how the practice players prepare for practice.. I'm sure there has to be a fair amount of work in coordinating and teaching the practice players what they are expected to do. It's like having a whole other team within the program. I could see him being a great person to oversee logistics and do one one on one skills teaching.
Or maybe Geno wasn't given the budget to bring in two high level assistants but wanted to take advantage of the extra allowable headcount. Promote Ben and utilize his analytic experience and then bring in a new video assistant on the cheap that Ben can oversee along with potentially other support roles.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom