Welcome back, Tonya! | The Boneyard

Welcome back, Tonya!

Reaction Score
Pretends To Be Shocked Fake Shock GIF by AIDES

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Thrilled about Tonya, but also super excited about Ben. Not sure how I didn't know this, that UCONN could add 2 assistant coaches, and they did. There's a part of me that wishes they went outside instead of promoting from within (Ben), but then I think about the Morgan Valley hire - not a guard, but became the "new" guards coach. I was skeptical given her lackluster performance as a head coach.

But... it seems like she's knocked it out of the park - hindsight - and obviously - Geno and Chris made a great decision. I'm sure Ben will be a similar home run.

So welcome (back) to the big leagues Tonya and Ben! Wishing both of you huge success...

Reaction Score
Thrilled about Tonya, but also super excited about Ben. Not sure how I didn't know this, that UCONN could add 2 assistant coaches, and they did. There's a part of me that wishes they went outside instead of promoting from within (Ben), but then I think about the Morgan Valley hire - not a guard, but became the "new" guards coach. I was skeptical given her lackluster performance as a head coach.

But... it seems like she's knocked it out of the park - hindsight - and obviously - Geno and Chris made a great decision. I'm sure Ben will be a similar home run.

So welcome (back) to the big leagues Tonya and Ben! Wishing both of you huge success...
Auriemma never had any doubt that Valley could coach guards, she had worked with a couple of the best college guards in K. Plum and A. McDonald. Check the next to last paragraph in this article. Plus she's a top notch recruiter.

Five things to know about new UConn women’s basketball assistant coach Morgan Valley

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Wow..................this is a complete surprise. :eek: I've been waiting for this announcement all week. Congratulations to Tonya!!! It's a pleasure to have you back in the fold.

“UConn is where I gained my foundation as a coach. I’m thrilled for this opportunity to come back home to where it all started. I look toward to working alongside people who I consider my family.” ~ Tonya Cardoza

An ongoing love fest, and a win-win decision. Congratulations and a tip o' the turban to all of the Boneyard sleuths who "sniffed" this out shortly after the job opening was posted. They all saw it for what it was, and who it was pointed to. :cool: You can fool some of the fans some of the time, but you can't fool the Boneyarders. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Success at coaching on the college level is primarily a function of recruiting. Mediocre coaches can coach for decades, providing they recruit well.
Conversely, even great X's and O's coaches won't last long if their recruiting is substandard.

sun

Reaction Score
Excerpts about Kantor from a MSN article:

Despite his experience as video coordinator, Kantor has coached for the Huskies before. During the 2020 NCAA Tournament, then-assistant Shea Ralph departed the bubble in San Antonio out of an abundance of caution after a family member tested positive for COVID-19. With Auriemma also unavailable due to the virus, Kantor stepped in as a temporary assistant....

...Kantor has previous experience as a full-time assistant, too. He worked on the sidelines with Houston Baptist in 2011-12 and at Colgate in 2010-11. He’s also spent time as a video coordinator at both Memphis and SMU. Kantor spent his college years at Illinois, where he was a women’s basketball practice player for three seasons before graduating with a degree in finance in 2006.

Carnac

Reaction Score
They were so fortunate to find a candidate with such stringent criteria. Does this make her successor in waiting?
In my opinion, no. If I was on the search committee to replace Geno after he announces his retirement, my first choice (I realize that not many will agree) would be Becky Hammon. She is the current head coach of the WNBA champion Las Vegas Aces. :cool: It would probably take a "God Father" offer to lure her away from the Aces.

1689267311550.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In my opinion, no. If I was on the search committee to replace Geno after he announces his retirement, my first choice (I realize that not many will agree) would be Becky Hammon. She is the current head coach of the WNBA champion Las Vegas Aces. :cool: It would probably take a "God Father" offer to lure her away from the Aces.

View attachment 89692

She can stay right where she's at.

Carnac

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members