Welcome back, Tonya! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Welcome back, Tonya!

Reaction Score
Or maybe Geno wasn't given the budget to bring in two high level assistants but wanted to take advantage of the extra allowable headcount. Promote Ben and utilize his analytic experience and then bring in a new video assistant on the cheap that Ben can oversee along with potentially other support roles.
Yeah. I can see that. Maybe instead of splitting the money, he added money to Tonya to pull her in and then gave Ben a good raise.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I loved Becky as a player and she is a great coach with experience in the NBA so she might be able to bring a brand that draws more fans to the game but I don't see her at UCONN. Who ever the coach is that follows Geno will have a nightmare of expectations to overcome and I don't see it being a someone from outside the region.
It was just one man's opinion. As I said, I didn't expect anyone to agree. It's very possible that UConn won't go off or outside of Geno's tree of former assistant coaches to find a replacement. I expect Geno to have some input on who his replacement will be. No doubt there will a number of current head coaches and assistant coaches that would apply for the job. Several posters have mentioned Carla Berube as their choice to replace him. What if she does not want the job? Then who? For the record, Hammon probably wouldn't want the job if offered.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Those are all good questions. Unfortunately, I do not know the answer. Which coach do you believe will realistically come to uconn, and can accomplish all of those things?
I’m not hating on Berube. I think she’s a very good coach, and would be happy to see her succeed Geno. I simply posed those questions out of curiosity.

I would pose those same questions about any other potential replacement candidate. Whoever replaces him needs to do so without the program missing a beat.

Whoever takes over will be under a microscope and subject to a lot of scrutiny, especially if they lose games early in the season.

Last edited:

GG

Reaction Score
I’m not hating on Berube. I think she’s a very good coach, and would be happy to see her succeed Geno. I simply posed those questions out of curiosity.

I would pose those same questions about any other potential replacement candidate. Whoever replaces him needs to do so without the program missing a beat.

Whoever takes over will be under a microscope and subject to a lot of scrutiny, especially if they lose games early in the season.
It will be no easy task, that is for sure. It will take a special talent who is extremely confident. Benedict has hit it out of the park with his recent hires, so we will have to trust him. Unlike some other universities, I know UCONN is all in on success in both the women’s and men’s side.

Reaction Score
I think Ben will continue as Video Coordinator add some work with the men practice players and some other odds and ends!
Geno just rewarded Ben's good work!
With Tonya added on Geno doesn't need another heavy-duty body during practice! He now has 5 great coaches that excel in their areas!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Ok, she can coach. My question is two-fold:
1. Does she have national name recognition? Have the top 20 recruits from the next incoming HS class ever heard of her, much less want to play for her?

2. Can she pull in the same top 5 ranked HS recruits year in and year out like Geno does?

If she can’t, this program becomes irrelevant very quickly. UConn is on the map and very relevant. Can she keep them there?
“I didn’t even know what to think of it,” [Ellie] Mitchell said. “Some people said, ‘Oh are you going to reopen your recruiting window?’ But after they announced coach (Berube) was going to be the coach, we had heard so many great things about her.”

After [Abby] Meyers learned about who her new head coach was, she knew “(Berube) didn’t miss a beat.” Her concerns about the culture changing vanished.

“When we found out she was from Tufts, played at UConn and she coached the USA team that (UConn sophomore guard) Paige Bueckers was on … she’s just a winning mentality, a leader and an all-star,” Meyers said of her coach. “She’s baller … we’re good to go
.”

Meyers is now in the WNBA. As Princeton players go to the WNBA, the more Carla’s reputation will grow

Carnac

Reaction Score
“I didn’t even know what to think of it,” [Ellie] Mitchell said. “Some people said, ‘Oh are you going to reopen your recruiting window?’ But after they announced coach (Berube) was going to be the coach, we had heard so many great things about her.”

After [Abby] Meyers learned about who her new head coach was, she knew “(Berube) didn’t miss a beat.” Her concerns about the culture changing vanished.

“When we found out she was from Tufts, played at UConn and she coached the USA team that (UConn sophomore guard) Paige Bueckers was on … she’s just a winning mentality, a leader and an all-star,” Meyers said of her coach. “She’s baller … we’re good to go
.”

Meyers is now in the WNBA. As Princeton players go to the WNBA, the more Carla’s reputation will grow

OK, that answers my question. As I said, I’d be happy to see Berube succeed Geno if she wants the job. I’m pretty sure she would have Geno’s blessings.

Reaction Score
UConn will be a good Job after Geno retires only if UConn can get into a major conference.
(ACC, B1G, or B12) It won’t be easy for UConn to get a top coach if they are stuck in the Big East when Geno retires.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
2. Can she pull in the same top 5 ranked HS recruits year in and year out like Geno does?
Honestly, you could ask that question of any candidate and the answer would be the same. No. Now what?

Carnac

Reaction Score
Honestly, you could ask that question of any candidate and the answer would be the same. No. Now what?
?!?. iDK. We’ll have to wait and see. It may be a while. Geno said recently that he’s not going to retire any time soon. :cool:

Carnac

Reaction Score
One more video about UConn and their hiring another assistant coach. All of folks that left a comment felt that Cardoza was the person they wanted to hire.

Reaction Score
Don’t be….They are BOTH now Assistant Coaches. The NCAA approved expanding the Coaching staffs at Division 1 Basketball schools months ago. Each team can hire two new coaches. They can do everything but recruit off campus.
Now, the question is: Who will Dan Hurley hire?????

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom