Week of 1/29 Other games | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Week of 1/29 Other games

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Is Kansas that thin that Self needs to keep playing him? Kansas fans must be furious they got him.
Yes. They are. Elmarko Jackson hit some shots last night. That's a step towards working Timberlake out of the rotation. But McCullar was out and it was a blowout, so might as well see if Timberlake can get things right.
As our staff is so good at talent evaluation, I wonder if we outfoxed Kansas in terms of getting involved with Timberlake to the point where Kansas had to spend more of their NIL bag on Timberlake so they had less to spend elsewhere; kind of like what the Red Sox do to make the Yankees spend more on free agents putting them up to/over the luxury tax threshold... kind of a conspiracy as it relates to Timberlake but fun to think about.
Nah. We wanted Timberlake. He looked like a guy who would step up and be better than Joey C. He simply hasn't adapted to the level of play at all. KU runs complicated stuff on both ends, like we do, and I have to wonder if he's just not picking it up. He's actually a little athletic, way more so than Cam, so it's not that.

Reaction Score
As our staff is so good at talent evaluation, I wonder if we outfoxed Kansas in terms of getting involved with Timberlake to the point where Kansas had to spend more of their NIL bag on Timberlake so they had less to spend elsewhere; kind of like what the Red Sox do to make the Yankees spend more on free agents putting them up to/over the luxury tax threshold... kind of a conspiracy as it relates to Timberlake but fun to think about.
Heh, no, our staff is brilliant, but not so cagey that we duped a competitor into paying more money for a player who we knew would be a bust.

Someone else made the point that, given how expertly our staff integrates transfers, it may be the case that Timberlake would have performed well here and Spencer may have struggled at Kansas.

Either way, it has worked out amazingly for us, and not so much for Kansas.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Yes definitely. Also, let's not forget their coach is a simpleton who once lost a second round game with Kevin Durant and D.J. Augustin on his roster.
Rick Barnes is far from being a simpleton
Many HoF coaches have lost 1st round games with loaded rosters - Duke? U of V? etc

Reaction Score
I have friends that went to Syracuse. We rarely talk basketball anymore.

I'm old enough to remember when Cuse got Billy Owens -the #1 recruit in the country in 1988. That was a very big deal. They got #1 Derrick Coleman a few years earlier. They were loaded. I just hated they could get all these great players and while we had to settle for B and C recruits. Even in our own state, all the best Connecticut players (like Charles Smith) were going out of state.

So excuse me for having a great memory and rooting for BCU last night. Good game.

Reaction Score

I'm old enough to remember when Cuse got Billy Owens -the #1 recruit in the country in 1988. That was a very big deal. They got #1 Derrick Coleman a few years earlier. They were loaded. I just hated they could get all these great players and while we had to settle for B and C recruits. Even in our own state, all the best Connecticut players (like Charles Smith) were going out of state.

So excuse me for having a great memory and rooting for BCU last night. Good game.
I remember that too, but F BC.

Reaction Score
H
Someone mentioned in another thread that the best part is not that Cuse is bad, but that they are an absolutely brutal watch. Ugly, ugly basketball
Have they moved on from the zone?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Mourning was #1 in 1988. Billy was #2.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

You had me until the second to last sentence.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Quick look at their board has some people still talking about what they can do to make the NCAAs. I don't know, are KenPom 80 teams typically on the bubble?
I never underestimate their ability to weasel their way into the NCAAs.

Reaction Score
BC, Pitt, Miami, Louisville, Notre Dame, and Miami all left the BE for greener pastures and more football money. But is it really greener pastures at this point anymore? They're not competitive anymore. Crazy that it's been 10+ years since the realignment.

Reaction Score
BC left 20 years ago, had a decent 3 year football run with one generational talent at qb and a coach that they fired for taking an interview in the NFL. Other than that, they've been a well-funded model of athletic incompetence.

Reaction Score
Back in the early '80s, it would frustrate me to no end that BC would grab some of CT's best high school recruits and play them against us.

According to Ranker.com, BC's best all-time players include:

1. John Bagley, Harding - Bridgeport, 1979-82
2. Michael Adams, Hartford Public, 1981-85
13. Jay Murphy, Maloney - Meriden, 1980-84
16. John Garris, Bassick - Bridgeport, 1981-83 (to BC via Mich)
22. Malcolm Huckaby, Bristol Central, 1990-94

Reaction Score
I don't think of either of them anymore, unless they are playing us, as they aren't in the national conversation. But, scrolling the scores last night, I did have a pause to look as it was familiar - like an old big east matchup. Nostalgia is a thing.

Reaction Score
He barely plays, he got more run tonight because McCullar was injured
I saw he averages 11 minutes a game, which is 7th most on the team. Next highest is Parker Braun at 8 minutes a game. So it seemed he was in the rotation off the bench.

In the 7 other games this month before last night, January 6-27, he played 11, 10, 3, 9, 14, 2 and 7 minutes. So maybe he's being phased out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom