Week of 1/29 Other games | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Week of 1/29 Other games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I saw he averages 11 minutes a game, which is 7th most on the team. Next highest is Parker Braun at 8 minutes a game. So it seemed he was in the rotation off the bench.

In the 7 other games this month before last night, January 6-27, he played 11, 10, 3, 9, 14, 2 and 7 minutes. So maybe he's being phased out.
That he only plays 11 minutes a game is the point. They have no depth so he has to get some minutes, but 11 isn't much. Our 7th and 8th guys (Johnson and Diarra) are both getting almost 19 minutes a game as reference

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
That he only plays 11 minutes a game is the point. They have no depth so he has to get some minutes, but 11 isn't much. Our 7th and 8th guys (Johnson and Diarra) are both getting almost 19 minutes a game as reference

Let's be honest, Johnson's numbers are skewed a bit high since he had to start and play so many minutes while DC was out.

Johnson's minutes will be trending closer to 15 than they will 19 for the rest of the season.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Back in the early '80s, it would frustrate me to no end that BC would grab some of CT's best high school recruits and play them against us.

According to Ranker.com, BC's best all-time players include:

1. John Bagley, Harding - Bridgeport, 1979-82
2. Michael Adams, Hartford Public, 1981-85
13. Jay Murphy, Maloney - Meriden, 1980-84
16. John Garris, Bassick - Bridgeport, 1981-83 (to BC via Mich)
22. Malcolm Huckaby, Bristol Central, 1990-94
No Ernie Cobb (Stamford)?

Reaction Score
Someone mentioned in another thread that the best part is not that Cuse is bad, but that they are an absolutely brutal watch. Ugly, ugly basketball
They are going to be bad until they fire autry, he is dreadful. They have plenty of talent. No offensive scheme and zero team effort. Everyone out for themselves

Reaction Score
Let's be honest, Johnson's numbers are skewed a bit high since he had to start and play so many minutes while DC was out.

Johnson's minutes will be trending closer to 15 than they will 19 for the rest of the season.
It might, but it's not skewed as much as you'd expect. He's at 21 minutes when Clingan was out and 18 when Clingan plays. And that applies across the board anyway, Timberlake's minutes were up yesterday because McCullar was out

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
They are going to be bad until they fire autry, he is dreadful. They have plenty of talent. No offensive scheme and zero team effort. Everyone out for themselves
Just about every team in the current ACC has coaching questions. The only coach who looks like a shoo-in for HoF is Tony Bennett. Larranga might have a shot, zip titles, but a solid coaching tree. Hamilton is good, not great. Davis is already in his 50s in first year and won't have enough time even if he proves out to be consistently good. The rest of the group... as Dennis Eckersley once famously said about the Pittsburgh Pirates, "It's a hodgepodge of nothingness."

Reaction Score
#3 UNC goes down the unranked Georgia Tech, 74-73.
I feel like at this point we want UNC and Kansas to lose. We are fighting for a protected seed, and the media is going to love Purdue and Houston no matter what. Our narrow loss to KU will never be a Q1 “quality” loss, and our win over UNC will never be a high quality Q1 win. Let them slide comfortably to a 2 or 3 seed so we can comfortably be a 1 or 2

Reaction Score
Do they even talk UConn anymore? I'm guessing they're just drowning in their sorrows at this point

Although I suppose they're where we were with Hurley in year one.
Their "Boneyard Unintentional Hilarity" thread hasn't been posted to since October. Even then, the last year of posting had been just lamenting how good (or lucky) UConn has been compared to them.

Reaction Score
Their "Boneyard Unintentional Hilarity" thread hasn't been posted to since October. Even then, the last year of posting had been just lamenting how good (or lucky) UConn has been compared to them.
There was some wailing and gnashing of teeth after the UNC MSG game. To be fair, there's a subset of posters there that are generous to us with praise there when they see good basketball.

Reaction Score
Just about every team in the current ACC has coaching questions. The only coach who looks like a shoo-in for HoF is Tony Bennett. Larranga might have a shot, zip titles, but a solid coaching tree. Hamilton is good, not great. Davis is already in his 50s in first year and won't have enough time even if he proves out to be consistently good. The rest of the group... as Dennis Eckersley once famously said about the Pittsburgh Pirates, "It's a hodgepodge of nothingness."
I agree. And Hamilton at 75 and Larranga at 74 are not going to be around much longer. That leaves Bennett, Brownell (Clemson) and Keatts (NC State) as the only coaches that have more than 5 years at their current job. Scheyer and Davis are the names everyone knows because of what they inherited. I do think Scheyer and Davis are going to be successful primarily due to their attractiveness to recruits, but also because the ACC as a whole lacks depth. A bunch of teams that once battled for high seeds in the NCAA tourney now strive to just be respectable.

You toss out the BE names and Hurley, Smart, McDermott, Pitino, Miller, Cooley and Matta would be improvements for most ACC teams. English, Holloway and Neptune are basically where most ACC coaches are right now.....trying to establish themselves. And then there is DePaul

Reaction Score
I hope we have veto power on accepting future conference mates. When the ACC breaks up (it can’t happen quick enough for me) they can join the AAC. Easy logo change. Same with BCU.

We can set up a home and MSG game with them every four years for those fans that still pretend we have a rivalry with them.

The degree of interest this thread is generating relative to the Goodman thread demonstrates their current state of relevancy to UConn fans.
We don’t have much of a rivalry with them anymore obviously but they were always my most hated team. I’d rather play them every year then Mississippi valley state. Even if they suck it’d still be fun to beat them up.

Reaction Score
I feel like at this point we want UNC and Kansas to lose. We are fighting for a protected seed, and the media is going to love Purdue and Houston no matter what. Our narrow loss to KU will never be a Q1 “quality” loss, and our win over UNC will never be a high quality Q1 win. Let them slide comfortably to a 2 or 3 seed so we can comfortably be a 1 or 2
I meant to say each will never not be quality Q1 loss/win respectively

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Checking out the ACC standings only GT and Clemson have worse conference records than any of the former BE teams in that conference.

UNC losing to GT is the equivalent of UConn losing to Georgetown. I could hug everyone of the Georgia Tech players. For the moment they have helped me avoid the need to root for Duke to beat UNC.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Dodged a bullet with him. He's not just disappointing, he’s downright awful. Meanwhile we landed the most efficient offensive player in college basketball.
We as in UConn mens bb and their fans. You still have to have some of that bullet lodged in your craw.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I could be wrong but at the moment, I believe we would need a serious collapse to not land in Brooklyn, regardles of what region we would be placed in. As long as we remain in position to receive a one seed (regardless of whether it's the first or fourth) we'll allso end up on a path to Boston.

I see Purdue landing in Indianapolis with a path for Detroit (I don't believe the B1G is strong enough to knock them uot of a one seed) while Houston is in a tricky situation (due to Kansas and the general depth of quality in the B12), where remaining a one seed should give them memohis with a path to Dallas.

It wouldn't surprise me if Kansas ends up as the west #1 seed, starting in Omaha.

Beyond this, the only things I'm confident in are that both UNC and Duke will be sent to Charlotte for the first two rounds (if they survive to the second round).

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
That entire board is so delusional. And it’s simply delicious watching them fall further and further into the toilet bowl of irrelevance… while you and and harmonize to the sweet tune of….

It's kind of serendipitous that there's a Q with an orange background on that clip.

Reaction Score
For your viewing pleasure. They're beyond the anger and frustration phase and settling nicely in to indifference.

Post game thread had 80 ish comments…..here we have that in 10 minutes

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We as in UConn mens bb and their fans. You still have to have some of that bullet lodged in your craw.
What are you going on about? Yes, we means UConn. The player referenced, if you couldn't guess, is Cam Spencer.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I could be wrong but at the moment, I believe we would need a serious collapse to not land in Brooklyn, regardles of what region we would be placed in. As long as we remain in position to receive a one seed (regardless of whether it's the first or fourth) we'll allso end up on a path to Boston.

I see Purdue landing in Indianapolis with a path for Detroit (I don't believe the B1G is strong enough to knock them uot of a one seed) while Houston is in a tricky situation (due to Kansas and the general depth of quality in the B12), where remaining a one seed should give them memohis with a path to Dallas.

It wouldn't surprise me if Kansas ends up as the west #1 seed, starting in Omaha.

Beyond this, the only things I'm confident in are that both UNC and Duke will be sent to Charlotte for the first two rounds (if they survive to the second round).
I have a hard time seeing KU landing a 1 seed. They aren't playing at that level.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
What are you going on about? Yes, we means UConn. The player referenced, if you couldn't guess, is Cam Spencer.
Having fun with you. Yes UConn dodged the Timberlake bullet. I'm aware you're a loyal UConn fan and being a UConn fan are very happy UConn dodged that bullet. But Kansas is your second team and you do root for them to win when it's not at the expense of UConn. So you didn't completely dodge the Timberlake bullet. His bad play at Kansas helps UConn and that makes you happy. But when you watch Kansas he has to make you cringe.

Reaction Score
I used to hate all the Big East programs when they were rivals and SU was up there at the top. I've become more indifferent to the fruit now that we don't play them and they have fallen into obscurity.

Meanwhile, they seem to hate UConn more than ever. It's sad, yet glorious.

Reaction Score
UNC hit by a classic trap game. Looking ahead to Duke on Saturday..
ESPN promo-Ing the hell out of that game like they always do. “Battle for supremacy of Top 10 teams that lost to Georgia Tech! Saturday night on ESPN!”

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Having fun with you. Yes UConn dodged the Timberlake bullet. I'm aware you're a loyal UConn fan and being a UConn fan are very happy UConn dodged that bullet. But Kansas is your second team and you do root for them to win when it's not at the expense of UConn. So you didn't completely dodge the Timberlake bullet. His bad play at Kansas helps UConn and that makes you happy. But when you watch Kansas he has to make you cringe.
I wish Timberlake had been good, honestly. I'm thrilled UConn got the vastly better player in Cam, but I certainly wish Timberlake was at least Joey C level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom