Week 9 - Other Games | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Week 9 - Other Games

Reaction Score
Q is heating up. Crushed Iona and Slick Rick today. They’ve now won 3 in a row. I think today was a home game, but they’ve won 6 games on the road this year. Very impressive!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I’m home alone tonight, it’s just me and the dogs, so for some reason I’m watching Gonzaga in a dog fight with Santa Clara on the road. Zags just took their largest lead of the night (4 points) with 6 minutes left.

Every team in this conference outside of Gonzaga would be a “pesky mid-major capable of pulling off an upset if they play their A game and catch UConn sleeping” if they came to Gampel.
Santa Clara had a long history of being a solid program, before Gonzaga did really. Not sure the whole conference is tough but St Mary’s and Santa Clara are. I do know a lot of Santa Clara alumni. Loyola Marymount of course had those legendary teams.

Reaction Score
Santa Clara had a long history of being a solid program, before Gonzaga did really. Not sure the whole conference is tough but St Mary’s and Santa Clara are. I do know a lot of Santa Clara alumni. Loyola Marymount of course had those legendary teams.
Isn't San Francisco good this year too?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Isn't San Francisco good this year too?
Yes, and they've had good teams too now and then. Bill Russell played there.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It is only January, but things are going pretty well in the college basketball world. The Kentucky fan base is ANGRY. Duke may have dropped the baton on the handoff, and BCU and Syracuse are dumpster fires. Pitt's mediocrity is mildly annoying given how bad they were the last couple of years, but Pitt isn't good either, so I can live with it.

There is a last scene of the Godfather vibe to this season that I am really enjoying.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
It is only January, but things are going pretty well in the college basketball world. The Kentucky fan base is ANGRY. Duke may have dropped the baton on the handoff, and BCU and Syracuse are dumpster fires. Pitt's mediocrity is mildly annoying given how bad they were the last couple of years, but Pitt isn't good either, so I can live with it.

There is a last scene of the Godfather vibe to this season that I am really enjoying.

Pitt is good.

Why do I like 7/8 of all your post but then think you are a crazy man?

Reaction Score
Yes, and they've had good teams too now and then. Bill Russell played there.

I mean, good is sort of relative. They steamrolled ASU but they're 7th in the WCC. Which is sort of my point, could they beat UConn? Sure, but the stars would have to align.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Pitt is good.

Why do I like 7/8 of all your post but then think you are a crazy man?
Pitt's starters are good, but other than Elliot, they have no bench (once Hugely returns that may get better at least at the 4/5). How they play @Duke this week will go a long way to determining if they're for real. Fun team to watch though. Cummings is like a 6' tall version of AJax, and their forward play is solid.

On a side note, at a get together of my wife's family, a cousin connected to the program offered the possibility Capel is gone no matter what Pitt does. Apparently Capel's brother, an assistant, has some issues, and Jeff won't fire him. AD Lyke handled a similar situation with their women's team by firing the HC, who was very popular. Capel actually has a fairly decent incoming class for 2023, so this situation bears watching.

Reaction Score
Souley Boum is one of my favorite non-UConn players, and one of the very few that I wish was on UConn. You could drop him onto literally any team in college basketball and he would make every player on that team better.

This guy was playing in front of a few thousand in UTEP the last two years, and now he is leading one of the Top 15 teams in the country. I wonder how many Souley Boums there are toiling in obscurity because they didn't get the right offer out of high school.

I wonder to what extent Boum was considered as a potential transfer to UConn. When we played X, I saw Boum and Kimani embrace after the game and recalled that Kimani is also a UTEP basketball alum. Surely Kimani must have known Boum and his potential this offseason when we were in desperate need of a point guard? Not that we did so poorly with Newtown and Diarra...

Q is heating up. Crushed Iona and Slick Rick today. They’ve now won 3 in a row. I think today was a home game, but they’ve won 6 games on the road this year. Very impressive!

Wish I had made it over to QU for that Iona game. I was at the Iona game in Hamden last season. Would definitely recommend any CBB fans in central CT come down to Quinnipiac for a game this season. The arena is super new and nice and the team is pretty good this year.

Reaction Score
I wonder to what extent Boum was considered as a potential transfer to UConn. When we played X, I saw Boum and Kimani embrace after the game and recalled that Kimani is also a UTEP basketball alum. Surely Kimani must have known Boum and his potential this offseason when we were in desperate need of a point guard? Not that we did so poorly with Newtown and Diarra...
He was on this board's radar a bit, but not many had him as a tier 1 priority. I think staff probably prioritized Newton and then Boum wasn't going to come to be off the bench somewhere.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Pitt's starters are good, but other than Elliot, they have no bench (once Hugely returns that may get better at least at the 4/5). How they play @Duke this week will go a long way to determining if they're for real. Fun team to watch though. Cummings is like a 6' tall version of AJax, and their forward play is solid.

On a side note, at a get together of my wife's family, a cousin connected to the program offered the possibility Capel is gone no matter what Pitt does. Apparently Capel's brother, an assistant, has some issues, and Jeff won't fire him. AD Lyke handled a similar situation with their women's team by firing the HC, who was very popular. Capel actually has a fairly decent incoming class for 2023, so this situation bears watching.

LOL I like seeing your see sawing Pitt responses. A+ boneyarding my friend.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
with 5+LOL I like seeing your see sawing Pitt responses. A+ boneyarding my friend.
Yeah. My opinion of them dropped a bit after loss at home to Clemson. Up 8 with 5+ mins left with crowd behind and couldn't close. Thought that win was in the bag. Still, they're a decent story considering what a train wreck they were.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yeah. My opinion of them dropped a bit after loss at home to Clemson. Up 8 with 5+ mins left with crowd behind and couldn't close. Thought that win was in the bag. Still, they're a decent story considering what a train wreck they were.

Why does your opinion of Pitt swing on one game? They are Ok, have a couple of nice wins, but also have two losses outside the Top 100 NET teams and are 11-5. Ok, not great. Also known as mediocre.

Reaction Score

My favorite is Louisville flirting with #300 both Ken Pom and academic ranking. That's a pretty tough double.

Rest in pain, losers.

Reaction Score
My favorite is Louisville flirting with #300 both Ken Pom and academic ranking. That's a pretty tough double.

Rest in pain, losers.
I agree it couldn't happen to nicer and more appropriate school.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
South Carolina holding a clinic on “How to blow an upset” against Kentucky. Three shot clock violations in USCe’s last four possessions.

Reaction Score
South Carolina holding a clinic on “How to blow an upset” against Kentucky. Three shot clock violations in USCe’s last four possessions.
Also, Kentucky holding a clinic on how not to try and come back having the ball with 20 sec left.

An early desperation 3, rebound and an easy layup…but no, waste a bunch of time to kick it out for another horrible look 3.

That Coach Cal sure can coach ‘em!

Reaction Score
In this era the coach Cal’s are a dinosaur . Connected recruiters who can’t coach a lick.
Given the Kentucky fan base the the entire team could be making 7 figures each legally . It’s the Alabama of basketball.
Heck I could recruit guys to UK.
They can afford the $40million but should fire the guy who signed the extension for malfeasance.
Higher a real basketball coach and move on.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom