Week 9 - Jan 1 to 7 | The Boneyard

Week 9 - Jan 1 to 7

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Happy new year BY! Here are upcoming games for top 25 teams, along with a few "friends", per the usual:

1704132442646.png

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Only 5 ranked vs. ranked matchups this week...and 2 of them involve NC State.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Looking forward to tonight's Michigan State–Iowa game. I think MSU is a little better than people realize.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Looking forward to tonight's Michigan State–Iowa game. I think MSU is a little better than people realize.
I have a hunch that conference play is really gonna be wild this season in the ACC, SEC, Big10, Pac12.

Reaction Score

Didn't their one game last year go to overtime? Who knows what to expect this season, especially with a new coach at the helm?

Plebe

Reaction Score
Didn't their one game last year go to overtime? Who knows what to expect this season, especially with a new coach at the helm?
Yes, MSU was a weird team last year. Beat Indiana and took Iowa to overtime. They played 3 other OT games in the Big Ten -- losses to Purdue and Wisconsin and a win over Penn State. Finished #45 in the NET but was (correctly, imo) passed over for a bid.

I think they made a good hire. Was impressed with what Robyn Fralick got out of her talent at Bowling Green.

Reaction Score
Yes, MSU was a weird team last year. Beat Indiana and took Iowa to overtime. They played 3 other OT games in the Big Ten -- losses to Purdue and Wisconsin and a win over Penn State. Finished #45 in the NET but was (correctly, imo) passed over for a bid.

I think they made a good hire. Was impressed with what Robyn Fralick got out of her talent at Bowling Green.

Mich State wouldn't have been a good choice for the tournament. Especially considering the teams that were selected from the Big 10.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Folks, if you haven't yet tuned in to this MSU-Iowa game, it's entertaining. Showing on Peacock.

Reaction Score
1) Wasn't that play also something that could have been reviewed since it was under 2 minutes?

2) Another call, while justified, that impacted the game was the unsportsmanlike call on Mich State's Tate. Losing her composure there gave Iowa free points and another possession which hurt the Spartans too.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Like many other games this season, Caitlin wasn't efficient and ran hot and cold, but she got hot at the right time — and by "the right time" I mean with 0.1 seconds left in the game for the walk-off step-back 3. Finished with 40 points on 34 shots.

I was impressed with Michigan State. Lots of weapons but no real stars on that team. Well coached and very resilient in absorbing the Iowa runs on the road in a tough environment.

The shooting foul called on Hagemann was indeed terrible. Davis clearly pump faked and was preparing to dribble when she was fouled.

1) Wasn't that play also something that could have been reviewed since it was under 2 minutes?

I don't believe this is reviewable, just as a judgment call on a common foul is not reviewable.

Reaction Score
The second Clark got the ball back I knew the shot was going to go in.

She obviously has a long way to go but I think she could be in the conversation for greatest of all time when her career in the W comes to an end. Just an absolutely ridiculous combination of skill, talent, and clutch ability.

Plebe

Reaction Score
The second Clark got the ball back I knew the shot was going to go in.

She obviously has a long way to go but I think she could be in the conversation for greatest of all time when her career in the W comes to an end. Just an absolutely ridiculous combination of skill, talent, and clutch ability.
Joiner tried to deny her the pass but lost her on the brush screen.

My thought on this is you HAVE to make someone else on Iowa beat you. Double-team denial if necessary, whatever it takes. But ... easy for me to say.

Reaction Score
Joiner tried to deny her the pass but lost her on the brush screen.

My thought on this is you HAVE to make someone else on Iowa beat you. Double-team denial if necessary, whatever it takes. But ... easy for me to say.
Easy for all of us to say. ;)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
TCU @ Baylor coming up in a little bit, will be interesting to see if the Frogs are competitive in this one.

Plebe

Reaction Score
TCU @ Baylor coming up in a little bit, will be interesting to see if the Frogs are competitive in this one.
Or specifically, to see if playing the #304 nonconference strength of schedule prepared TCU for a road game against a top 10 team.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Or specifically, to see if playing the #304 nonconference strength of schedule prepared TCU for a road game against a top 10 team.
Hmm, maybe it prepared them fairly well?

Reaction Score
Oregon state @ USC and @ UCLA this weekend. Grab your popcorn!

Oregon State is the only remaining unbeaten team (now 12-0) not ranked in the top 25 of either poll. However, their schedule has been pretty weak so far. Even the Beavers win against Villanova is turning out to be less noteworthy than expected, as the Wildcats look significantly weaker than last years excellent team that went 31-7. So, OSU is really getting it first true tests this weekend....and OH BOY, ARE THEY EVER! They play at #9/#6 USC on Friday January 5 7pm Pacific time (10 pm Eastern) (TV - Pac-12 Los Angeles). Can they compete and hang with the very athletic Trojans and its super freshman Juju Watkins? USC is 10-1 with its only loss being by 7 points last week at #2 UCLA.

Tougher yet, can Oregon State even begin to compete with undefeated #2 UCLA in Los Angeles on Sunday January 7 at 1 pm Pacific time (4 pm eastern)? (TV - Pac-12 network, main channel) YIKES! We will surely get a much clearer idea of what OSU is really made of after this weekend. Contender, pretender, or something inbetween?

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
There is a Big Sky-Summit League Challenge going on tonight. Later in the year than usual for one of these type of events.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Hmm, maybe it prepared them fairly well?
Never mind. If the game was suspended at halftime they would've been fine.
You really can't stop yourself from laying the jinx on whoever has the momentary lead, huh?

Final score 71-50. Why was TCU ranked again? For beating Mount St. Mary's?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
In another Big 12 tale of two halves, Kansas St. stretched it's halftime lead of 29-24 over Houston to...a 72-38 final. A whopping 43-14 beat down in the 2nd half.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom