Week 4: Other Games | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Week 4: Other Games

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Nothing quite like Assembly Hall and the tradition it brings to the IU campus. Little 500 is held at the soccer stadium. The old fieldhouse in the center of campus has some some of the most competitive pick up hoop games anywhere. It's nice to see my school become relevant again in hoops- Thank you Mike Woodson
Is there a backstory for why a Indiana/B10 fan posts on the Boneyard?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Pac 12 is an entertaining train wreck of a conference.

Colorado has wins over Tennessee and Texas A&M, and losses to Boise State, UMass and Grambling. How is that possible?

#4 Arizona got blown out by Utah. 6-1 Washington is getting pummeled by Oregon State in the first half, and Colorado and Arizona State are playing a great game.

Edit: Great ending to ASU/Colorado

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
What's a Hoosier?

The first and possibly most popular theory as to why we're called Hoosiers is because a man named Samuel Hoosier, who was contracted to built a canal along the Ohio River in the 1820s, preferred to hire men from Indiana. These men were called "Hoosier's Men," which was eventually shortened to Hoosiers.

A second theory attributed to Gov. Joseph Wright derived Hoosier from
an Indian word for corn, "hoosa." Indiana flatboatmen taking corn or maize to New Orleans came to be known as "hoosa men" or Hoosiers.

A friend of mine from Indiana dismissed both these theories. He said the term came about because residents would always ask who's your ma who's your pa.

Offered strictly as an add-on, and because it was in the context of reading "Cat's Cradle" in college that I first heard the word "Hoosier."

Reaction Score
Pathetic attendance for hosting a top conference team:

I hate the PAC 12.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This is what makes college basketball and UMass special

Huh? That's one of the funniest things I've read in a while.

Do you think UConn would draw that kind of crowd to a road game at an Ivy if we were in the A10?

Reaction Score
Like ugly basketball? FSU over UVa 22-21 at halftime. Not saying Virginia isn't good, but it must be agonizing being a fan and having to watch them play that style of hoops every game.

Reaction Score
UMass doesn't draw that kind of crowd for home games, and if we were in the A10 we could manage that many at Yale.

Was thinking exactly the same thing. That’s the same amount of fans they have in a home game in a gym that holds 8-9000.

Reaction Score
Like ugly basketball? FSU over UVa 22-21 at halftime. Not saying Virginia isn't good, but it must be agonizing being a fan and having to watch them play that style of hoops every game.
In fact, it is not

Reaction Score
Do you think UConn would draw that kind of crowd to a road game at an Ivy if we were in the A10?
What kind of crowd are you assuming here? Lavietes Pavilion at Harvard has a seating capacity of 1,636. So were there like 1,200 UMass fans there? I think there are more than that for Friday night games at our local high school. 1,200 fans isn't like taking over a 10,000 or 15,000 seat arena. If UConn played at Yale UConn fans would take over their gym also. I guarantee it.

The thing about UMass is that it's pretty far from the center of the state's population around Boston. And there are many UMass alums around Boston. So I'd imagine some of them figured let's go see a game where we know we can get tickets easily (it's not like many people go to Harvard games and tickets are cheap) and we know we won't have to travel far. So it makes sense they had a bunch of fans there.

And is there anything that makes UMass hoops special? That's what I was laughing about.

Reaction Score
watching st. mary's vs. houston. st. mary's with the rare all-white starting 5.

caw

Reaction Score
So Alabama should move up a spot to # 10, do they move passed Creighton and/or Baylor? Can’t see Zona dropping that far.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
I know it’s not in Houston (fort worth) but damn is this an empty arena for a number one ranked team.
That was one of my first thoughts too. Attendance is horrible for a pretty solid matchup.

Reaction Score
First chance I’ve had to watch Houston this season. Stifling defense but I’m very curious how that offense will perform against respectable competition (caveated that they played a very good St. Mary’s defense). The two coming up against Alabama and Virginia will be very interesting. If they play like they did today, they’re gonna get spanked.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom