Week 4 NCAA Football | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Week 4 NCAA Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Back in Nebraskas heyday with Tom Osborne, there were no roster limits and scholarship limits were higher, if not non existent. They had a system whereby they stockpiled kids first at their regional campuses and then on the rosters, I think 150 rings a bell. They were able to keep the talent away from you and I, and somehow, the $$ worked out for the kids to make that decision. You(Nelson) are describing a similar effect, but with alot more money. Back then, there was more money than we knew, but hidden.
well that was also back when you were "home state or bust" and the idea of playing for other schools was foreign. Sure you'd do it if somebody else paid for your school but if you had dreams and a scholarship you kept riding your dreams.

Reaction Score
A few differences that fall under two big headings:

1) Recruiting classes will be much less relevant going forward with the transfer portal. Coaches have blown it on recruiting classes over the years (Mack Brown could hold clinics on it during his time at Texas), but the transfer portal is much lower risk. A staff can bring in an experienced player that can play now, rather than have to project a 17 year old kid out 3 or 4 years. Where would you rather spend your money?
2) In 2014, the experience for a star player was not that much different at tOSU than it was at Georgia Tech or even Boise State. Players would pick their school on several factors, including how good a team was projected to be, playing time available, and the coach. Going forward, money is #1, #2 and #3. Everything else is secondary or tertiary. The schools that have the money to spend will dominate with the top talent, and with the bench players. Top schools will be able to pay preferred walkons more than they would make starting at other schools.

Unless there is revenue sharing or a salary cap, the difference between the top schools and even the schools just outside the top is going to be massive.

This problem will be much worse for football because the rosters are so big and so many players contribute every game.
I get what you are saying but I think we still have to wait to see how it shakes out. The Portal will cut both ways.

Alabama e.g. always had a deep bench with players who would rather ride the pine than start at a lesser program. They will still have that except now those players will make more money. With the portal those same bench players could start right away at a lesser program and make a name for themselves. Then they could enter the portal if they want to move to a better program. So they'll have a choice between getting paid more for sitting, or getting paid less for playing with a bigger payoff later. Just one scenario but I could see kids taking the option of playing right away with the portal as a future option. Alabama can stack its bench with a bunch of proven upper classman so maybe the lesser programs will be grabbing the high school studs.

In the end, there are only a limited number of slots available and a talent pool big enough to feed everyone. Hence, NIU beating ND.

Reaction Score
I get what you are saying but I think we still have to wait to see how it shakes out. The Portal will cut both ways.

Alabama e.g. always had a deep bench with players who would rather ride the pine than start at a lesser program. They will still have that except now those players will make more money. With the portal those same bench players could start right away at a lesser program and make a name for themselves. Then they could enter the portal if they want to move to a better program. So they'll have a choice between getting paid more for sitting, or getting paid less for playing with a bigger payoff later. Just one scenario but I could see kids taking the option of playing right away with the portal as a future option. Alabama can stack its bench with a bunch of proven upper classman so maybe the lesser programs will be grabbing the high school studs.

In the end, there are only a limited number of slots available and a talent pool big enough to feed everyone. Hence, NIU beating ND.
I think Nelson is right about this. Furthermore, the big schools should be able to take surplus football money and fund basketball, unless big boy football becomes separate from "not football." Assuming it won't, then big boy football schools will also dominate hoops. Buh-bye, Big East teams winning natties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom