Week 4 NCAA Football | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Week 4 NCAA Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Penn St has 1st and goal with 1:25 left up 49-0.

Do they take a knee? Of course not.

Stay classy James Franklin.

Reaction Score
Central is a middle of the pack NEC team...not a CAA team. You keep saying things like this but you clearly don't understand any thing about the university.

Yep, you are 100% right.

CCSU simply needs to increase its total athletics budget from about $17M to $22M and aspire to be a mid-level America East/CAA Football program instead of a lowly NEC member.

Reaction Score
That's why when I looked at the live score of the JMU-North Carolina game I got an uneasy feeling like missing out on a stock I could have purchased at a low price. Although I don't get into too many debates on the BoneYard, I did push back on people that stated UConn's lack of money is why football is so bad, which I think is BS. They should never have been historically bad like they have been for some of the years between 2012-2023 (i.e. 2017, 2018, etc.) Sure, UConn does not have a conference that the G5 schools do, but they have more money and brand recognition. There are schools doing far more with much less money and definitely less brand recognition.
JMU has some decent fb history, is a football school, and has been a top FCS school for some time.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I understand the payroll difference, but the talent between the 2 rosters is similar. And, they had the #3 recruiting class in 2014 and the #5 recruiting class in 2024. The money is only keeping them in their position in college football.

A few differences that fall under two big headings:

1) Recruiting classes will be much less relevant going forward with the transfer portal. Coaches have blown it on recruiting classes over the years (Mack Brown could hold clinics on it during his time at Texas), but the transfer portal is much lower risk. A staff can bring in an experienced player that can play now, rather than have to project a 17 year old kid out 3 or 4 years. Where would you rather spend your money?
2) In 2014, the experience for a star player was not that much different at tOSU than it was at Georgia Tech or even Boise State. Players would pick their school on several factors, including how good a team was projected to be, playing time available, and the coach. Going forward, money is #1, #2 and #3. Everything else is secondary or tertiary. The schools that have the money to spend will dominate with the top talent, and with the bench players. Top schools will be able to pay preferred walkons more than they would make starting at other schools.

Unless there is revenue sharing or a salary cap, the difference between the top schools and even the schools just outside the top is going to be massive.

This problem will be much worse for football because the rosters are so big and so many players contribute every game.

Reaction Score
Back in Nebraskas heyday with Tom Osborne, there were no roster limits and scholarship limits were higher, if not non existent. They had a system whereby they stockpiled kids first at their regional campuses and then on the rosters, I think 150 rings a bell. They were able to keep the talent away from you and I, and somehow, the $$ worked out for the kids to make that decision. You(Nelson) are describing a similar effect, but with alot more money. Back then, there was more money than we knew, but hidden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom