Week 3: Other Games | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Week 3: Other Games

Reaction Score
Give him some time, he was out for a while with injury and he’s a little lost right now on the court offensively. Not only is his shot looking bad but last night he took some bad shots too. If he’s still doing this going into big east play, I’ll start to get very concerned, but we have to give him a few more games to adjust.

He’s still contributing everywhere else. But yeah, If he can get somewhat consistent on offense, what a dangerous player…

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Sure his finger may still be hurt but this is the same as last year - the kid drives into the lane and then comes to a screeching halt and either makes terrible floaters or a pass. He was never a guy to stuff it in and I wish I knew why.

Reaction Score
His defense, rebounding and ball handling is his best contribution right now. He needs to embrace that until he’s got his shot back

Reaction Score
Sure his finger may still be hurt but this is the same as last year - the kid drives into the lane and then comes to a screeching halt and either makes terrible floaters or a pass. He was never a guy to stuff it in and I wish I knew why.
He never played pick and roll offense, and was a true wing in high school, so he has zero idea how to blow by a defender to the rim.

He has succeeded on fast breaks, and cleaning up the glass. What most athletic freaks do.

If we were running our team like we did in 2016, he’d be jacking up tough iso layups all day long.

Reaction Score
There are so many shooters and offensive threats on this team, we don't need him to do more than a few dunks/layups a game. He needs to contribute passing, rebounding and defense. Not hoist when the game is tight. Players are still identifying their roles and he'll settle in as he got a late start. He can become an excellent role player for us.

Reaction Score
He finished with a contested layup and then scored on a rebound and put-back after a layup attempt. That's progress. Problem is he did that in a game when he also increased he 3pt attempts.

Reaction Score
God I’d love to see Clingan vs. Edey
Edey looked like Clingan as a freshman
Painter has developed Edey into a dominant player as a Junior.... Incredible development.
Give Clingan a few a years to learn the college game and become part of the machine.....and he could be #1 big man in the game.

If they played today - Edey would absolutely own Clingan. This year's Purdue team looks better than last year's

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Not only the injury taking him out for an extended period but also the radical change to the makeup of this team from last year as it begins to emerge from practices to real time live encounters with increasingly tougher opponents. Things seem to be changing each game as this team is being molded and that's a great thing. When this locomotive has its wheels lined up it is nothing short of awesome, deadly and oh so quick. The kid's got a lot of heart; IMO just needs to stay calm while his body is going maximum energy. I am always reminded of Ray Allen's comment "Play hard but stay calm." It's not always an easy blend of mind/body. I thought I noticed him a bit hesitant a couple of times last night. I am confident the staff and he will get this right as the season progresses. No one wants the best for this team more than him and that will bear fruit eventually.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/cdb7d7e9b252d4d09c38060fc804f825/tumblr_p1csdzez5v1tjv47oo3_r1_400.gifv

Reaction Score
There are so many shooters and offensive threats on this team, we don't need him to do more than a few dunks/layups a game. He needs to contribute passing, rebounding and defense. Not hoist when the game is tight. Players are still identifying their roles and he'll settle in as he got a late start. He can become an excellent role player for us.
Like Lockdown Leaky Black.

Reaction Score
Okay, suppose the goal was to develop good shooting mechanics. How is that done? Would a coach show him good technique that he would then practice 30 minutes daily? Would they pair him with a good shooting teammate? Should they first check his vision? Maybe see if he’s better shooting left-handed? With season already begun, is there even time?

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I’m just upset he doesn’t take it to the rim more. All that athleticism and that bad of a shot yet he’s shooting more 3s than 2s on the year.
If he drove it to the rim he’d likely commit some kind of offensive foul with how out of control he’s been.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
People won’t be disliking these posts on selection Sunday, when our terrible schedule puts us down a seed or two.
Our schedule seems to have set us up perfectly for the season. This Alabama win is going to be like the FL win in 2013-4. A win that kept getting bigger all season. I DGAS, but folks like you need to chill out and start enjoying the ride.

Reaction Score
I can't believe that there hasn't been a coach in Jackson's history that has tried to change his shot. That boy has no clue how to shoot. Athletic as all heck and will obviously stay on the floor because of his defense, rebounding and passing. But it's painful to see him shoot or try to score around the rim without a dunk.
Yeah it is hard to believe a guy who had finger surgery about a month ago and missed weeks of practice is not shooting good. He was never a great shooter to begin with but give him some time and he will score some points while shutting down the opponent’s NBA lottery pick on defense. Would I take that this November/December with all the shooters we have? - In a second.

Reaction Score
If he drove it to the rim he’d likely commit some kind of offensive foul with how out of control he’s been.
Which is just wasting his fouls. I'm sure as the season goes on Hurley will temper his exuberance. Since he came back he was so bottled up he's like shot out of a cannon.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Keep selling your Andre shares for cheap because I’m buying.

The only player putting more time in the gym than Sonogo is Andre. That was until his injury.

Still working at getting his game legs and skills back. His overall play was a bonus given the short runway he had before this game. We lose if his defense, ball handling and rebounding weren’t available. Definitely ahead of where I thought he’d be.

We can point out his passing turnovers. But he also made some good setups for others to score.

“Rashard” :cool: did not have any rotation on his shot but he was effective. Let’s give Andre some time before proclaiming his unorthodox shot can’t work, especially since he still has his fingers taped.

Reaction Score
Amazing athlete. Terrible basketball IQ. Tries these crazy passes that are often picked off or deflected. Either that or the player the pass is intended for can’t catch them. There is a art to passing. Karaban passes 25x better and hits the player where they can shoot it in the shooters pocket or move the ball.
Has no jumper. And plays out of control. Great rebounder though.

He is a plus defender when he is not taking risks for a block or a steal. The problem is he is too often taking those risks.

He needs to be coached up and adjustments need to be made.

I like him and am blown away at his athleticism but this team is a different team than the last two years we are loaded with high IQ basketball players. We don’t just need athletes we need high IQ athletes that are basketball players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom