Week 2 Big Games: | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Week 2 Big Games:

Reaction Score
I like Gabbie Marshall but her defense was pretty bad in the 4th. Very entertaining game. Going to OT

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
image.jpg

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Why in the world do you have Clark pass the ball off with the last possession of regulation? I'm assuming that was a set play to swing it around and eventually enter the ball to Czanino, but it didn't work. You have a player like Clark, you let her create for herself or drive and dish. That was a really bad coaching move IMO.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
OT was bad. Both teams looked gassed.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Iowa wins 92-86 in OT.

Czinano and Clark scored 36 and 28, respectively though Clark shot 9-28. Drake could not stop Czinano.

Czinano and Clark combined for 49 of Iowa's 79 shots and 23 of Iowa's 30 FTs.

Marshall and Warnock did hit some big shots.

Credit to Drake. They played well but seemed to run out of gas in the 4th and in OT. They were successful driving to the basket and posting up some of the Iowa defenders. I'm sure future Iowa opponents will take notice.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Drake is a fun team to watch and play a pretty good non-conference schedule. Upcoming opponents:

Nebraska
UMass
Creighton
Iowa State
Belmont.

Reaction Score
Iowa wins 92-86 in OT.

Czinano and Clark scored 36 and 28, respectively though Clark shot 9-28. Drake could not stop Czinano.

Czinano and Clark combined for 49 of Iowa's 79 shots and 23 of Iowa's 30 FTs.

Marshall and Warnock did hit some big shots.

Credit to Drake. They played well but seemed to run out of gas in the 4th and in OT. They were successful driving to the basket and posting up some of the Iowa defenders. I'm sure future Iowa opponents will take notice.
Clark and the guards were horrible on 3s. Czinzano carried them

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Clark and the guards were horrible on 3s. Czinzano carried them
Clark shot 4-14. The other guards shot 5-13 which isn't horrible (38%).

Sometime it's not how many but when you make 'em. Clark made 2 big 3s in the 4th quarter.

Reaction Score
Clark shot 4-14. The other guards shot 5-13 which isn't horrible (38%).

Sometime it's not how many but when you make 'em. Clark made 2 big 3s in the 4th quarter.
A bit of tongue-in-cheek by me considering some things I’ve read about bad guard play recently. Guards shooting low percentage on 3s in early season. They must be horrible. I mean Azzi hasn’t hit one this whole season, has she? She must be terrible.:rolleyes:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Definitely not a big game but on ESPN, Stanford is dominating Portland 33-11. I am becoming a Lepolo stan by the minute.
Got her first start today. Might be because Emma-Nnopu hasn't played yet, but I hope to see her stay in the starting lineup.

I'm wondering if this was scheduled as a home town game for Brink? She's having another block party, pretty much has every game, even though she's hardly playing (under 20 min/game so far).

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
EDIT–I know it’s not a BIG game but didn’t think this needed a thread

Ohio State struggled early with Boston College but finished stronger and won 82-63.

Mikulasikova had a big night 23 and 10. Sheldon still hasn’t found her 3pt shot this season but finished with 14 points and 11 steals. It’s nice seeing an OSU guard make impact in other areas when they shot isn’t falling. BC was able to bother OSU to a tune of 23 turnovers (Sheldon had 5, the starting lineup averaged 3.6 turnovers each.) I think BC is just too young this season. They broke OSU’s press pretty consistently but turned it over in the half court more in the first half.

The commentator, Kelly Gramlich, said something that made me chuckle. When talking about OSU’s previous game and their pressure defense, said something along the lines of: if you can turnover Tennessee, who has strong guard play, you can turn almost anyone over. Haha

Gramlich must not visit the Boneyard for her pre-game prep.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
In the earliest conference game of the year (in any conference) .. UVA wins its first conference opener since 2017. The Cavs down the Demon Deacons of Wake Forest 72-52. I have NO idea why they scheduled a conference game in the first week of the season.

Reaction Score
In the earliest conference game of the year (in any conference) .. UVA wins its first conference opener since 2017. The Cavs down the Demon Deacons of Wake Forest 72-52. I have NO idea why they scheduled a conference game in the first week of the season.
Notre Dame and Syracuse had one of these weird early conference games last year. I thought it was a feature the ACC was doing with all of their teams.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Notre Dame and Syracuse had one of these weird early conference games last year. I thought it was a feature the ACC was doing with all of their teams.

Now that you mention it, I do remember them doing that with ND-Cuse. Guess they need something to fill out early November time on the ACC Network.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Louisville narrowly escapes Belmont with a win. On a key possession down by 1 with under a minute to go, Belmont was called for a rather tight illegal screen, which then forced them into the fouling game.

It seems like every year Walz takes his team to face a strong mid-major on the road, and they always just barely survive a close game.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
With 5 seconds left in regulation,the Phoenix of Elon hit a 3 point bucket to defeat the Panthers of HPU. 60-57. Not a great first week for us Panther fans :oops:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The commentator, Kelly Gramlich, said something that made me chuckle. When talking about OSU’s previous game and their pressure defense, said something along the lines of: if you can turnover Tennessee, who has strong guard play, you can turn almost anyone over. Haha

Gramlich must not visit the Boneyard for her pre-game prep.
Funny. Forget the Boneyard. Just do basic homework and look at last year's stats. The stats will tell you the LadyVols turn the ball over too much.

OSU is fun to watch.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Louisville narrowly escapes Belmont with a win. On a key possession down by 1 with under a minute to go, Belmont was called for a rather tight illegal screen, which then forced them into the fouling game.

It seems like every year Walz takes his team to face a strong mid-major on the road, and they always just barely survive a close game.
I tuned in late but was able to see that possession. Honestly, the Belmont player did move just before the Louisville defender made contact. I thought it was the right call though a tough call for Belmont.

Funny about these mid-major games. Ranked teams have little to gain (expected to win) and a lot to lose (these teams are capable of the upset). I give credit to Jeff for playing a game like this on the road. I wish other ranked teams would play solid mid-majors like Belmont, UMass, Drake, etc., rather than some of the cupcakes we're seeing them play. Many of these good mid-majors are better than the bottom of the P5 conferences.

Credit to Iowa for playing a tough Drake team.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
A huge upset in the Division III ranks. My Pride of Greensboro College dropped its season opener against crosstown rival Guilford College 89-79. The Pride returned virtually everyone from a 25-2 team that sand blasted the Quakers 89-44 in last seasons showdown. To everyone's surprise however, the Fighting Quakers exacted sweet revenge. 5 miles separate the two campuses, and its the Methodists vs the Quakers, so it definitely qualifies as a throw out the record book game @nwhoopfan

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I tuned in late but was able to see that possession. Honestly, the Belmont player did move just before the Louisville defender made contact. I thought it was the right call though a tough call for Belmont.
No doubt the right call. By "tight" I just meant it was the type of illegal screen that often goes uncalled. But no doubt she moved.

Reaction Score
I have no idea why the early conference game either. But having been at the game… UVA is a different team from recent years. Coach Mox was a great hire - and she just gets it. First time since 2018 that UVA has started 3-0. Really fun watching Mir McLean. She’s just all over the place. Can’t shoot beyond 5”, but boy is she athletic. I understand why she was never going to be an impact player at UConn, but on UVA, she’s a huge part of what they’re trying to become.

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
Funny about these mid-major games. Ranked teams have little to gain (expected to win) and a lot to lose (these teams are capable of the upset). I give credit to Jeff for playing a game like this on the road. I wish other ranked teams would play solid mid-majors like Belmont, UMass, Drake, etc., rather than some of the cupcakes we're seeing them play. Many of these good mid-majors are better than the bottom of the P5 conferences.

Credit to Iowa for playing a tough Drake team.
Agree on this. Iowa did look absolutely terrible today (they are definitely not #4 on my BY ballot), but Drake is not a cupcake team by any metric. They had a down year (19-14 overall record) last year transitioning to a new coach, yet still notched wins over Creighton and Missouri. They've returned all the key pieces from that squad. (Berg, Bier, Meyer, Dinnebier)

I think it's awesome that all the Iowa schools (Iowa, Iowa State, Northern Iowa, Drake) play each other every season. It helps that all four programs are typically strong enough that it's a mutually beneficial move for everyone's RPIs/NETs. Drake finished NET #80 last season, and if they have just a marginally better season this year, today's game can end up as a Quad 1 win on Iowa's resume, despite its ugliness. :cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom