Week 16 AP Top 25 UConn moves up to 7th | The Boneyard

Week 16 AP Top 25 UConn moves up to 7th

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Now we just need to see Baylor and Michigan lose a few games! When all is said and done I do expect us to be a 2 seed - assuming we win out and win the BET.

1645468982990.png

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Now we just need to see Baylor and Michigan lose a few games! When all is said and done I do expect us to be a 2 seed - assuming we win out and win the BET.

View attachment 73579
There is a very good chance that both Baylor and Michigan do not end up winning their respective tournaments. Both have had some struggles lately and there are at least 3 teams in each Conference that can beat them.

Reaction Score

View attachment 73579
It is not enough that we win. All others must lose. (Loose translation of a quote attributed to many people including Gore Vidal and Genghis Khan.)

Reaction Score
Villanova was the only other BE team to receive votes. Charlie Creme's bracketology has
Creighton and DePaul in the field but not Nova. It's going to be interesting with a lot riding
on the BE tournament.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
There is a very good chance that both Baylor and Michigan do not end up winning their respective tournaments. Both have had some struggles lately and there are at least 3 teams in each Conference that can beat them.
Michigan at 6 is generous considering they just lost back to back games against unranked teams. Baylor is looking like a very solid team with Egbo finding her rhythm on the court. When she plays well they're a tough out for anyone.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Really bizarre year in how many top teams have lost to teams that are unranked or borderline top 25. Out of the top 10, only Iowa State has no losses to unranked/borderline top 25 teams:

South Carolina-lost to unranked Missouri
Stanford-lost to unranked USF
NC State-lost to #25 Georgia
Louisville-lost to #18 North Carolina
Baylor-lost to unranked Kansas State and 2x to #20 Oklahoma
Michigan-lost to unranked Michigan State/Northwestern
UCONN-lost to unranked Villanova and unranked Oregon
LSU-lost to unranked Arkansas and #24 FGCU
Iowa State-no losses outside of top 10
Indiana-lost to unranked Nebraska and #21 Iowa

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Really bizarre year in how many top teams have lost to teams that are unranked or borderline top 25. Out of the top 10, only Iowa State has no losses to unranked/borderline top 25 teams:

They also lost to unranked Georgia Tech, the first game without Paige.

Reaction Score

ISU losses were to an unranked LSU, 14 and 15th seeded Texas and to 14th ranked Baylor. All losses were outside top 10. Rankings keep changing each week, so your reference may be to a point in time and not when the games were played.

Reaction Score
Michigan at 6 is generous considering they just lost back to back games against unranked teams. Baylor is looking like a very solid team with Egbo finding her rhythm on the court. When she plays well they're a tough out for anyone.
Agreed, bballnut90, and I'll add that it baffles me how little attention BYers give to NaLyssa Smith. I think she's right with Boston and Clark as a POY candidate, and when combined with Egbo and a decent supporting cast, Baylor well might do damage in the tournament.

Reaction Score
Agreed, bballnut90, and I'll add that it baffles me how little attention BYers give to NaLyssa Smith. I think she's right with Boston and Clark as a POY candidate, and when combined with Egbo and a decent supporting cast, Baylor well might do damage in the tournament.
Just so you know, Boneyarder's are baffling to begin with, not only some give little attention to NaLyssa Smith but to all other non-UConn players. ;)

Reaction Score
Beating bad to mediocre teams offers few opportunities for UConn to move up. It was # 11 in the last committee poll.

Indiana (8) and Oklahoma (9) had losses but LSU (13) had a quality win. These 4 are likely #9-12 in some order right now.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Beating bad to mediocre teams offers few opportunities for UConn to move up. It was # 11 in the last committee poll.

Indiana (8) and Oklahoma (9) had losses but LSU (13) had a quality win. These 4 are likely #9-12 in some order right now.
I think a lot of the voters are looking at what UConn is doing now only without Paige and rewarding them the benefit of finally being able to play more like UConn is know for in Women's basketball. They understand that the team that lost to GT, Oregon, and Villanova is not the current team.

This is the first time this season that UConn has the capability to play hard nosed man to man defense for a whole game if the need arises. They also know that everything changes if Paige comes back before the Tournament.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I think a lot of the voters are looking at what UConn is doing now only without Paige and rewarding them the benefit of finally being able to play more like UConn is know for in Women's basketball. They understand that the team that lost to GT, Oregon, and Villanova is not the current team.

This is the first time this season that UConn has the capability to play hard nosed man to man defense for a whole game if the need arises. They also know that everything changes if Paige comes back before the Tournament.
I would guess the voters aren’t watching all of the games.

Reaction Score
I have a theory ( @Plebe hates it)

The committee is happiest with five P-5 champs plus the top non p-5 champ plus two p-5 runner ups.

SCar Stanford NCState, Baylor Maryland
UConn if they win out
#2 Big Ten, #2 big 12, LSU if they run the table

No. It’s not a rule but nobody can really argue with the committee if they do it

bballnut90

Reaction Score
ISU losses were to an unranked LSU, 14 and 15th seeded Texas and to 14th ranked Baylor. All losses were outside top 10. Rankings keep changing each week, so your reference may be to a point in time and not when the games were played.
Correct, references I used were to current top 10. As the season has unfolded, it's evident that both LSU/Texas were significantly under-ranked earlier in the year and that Baylor is much better than what they were ranked during the ISU game. At any rate though, Iowa State is the only top 10 team without what could be considered a 'bad loss.'

bballnut90

Reaction Score

For better or worse, UCONN can't help themselves, but they also can't hurt themselves either unless they drop another Big East game.

The last 11 days has been a mess for most teams ranked #4-16 from the last reveal:

#4 Louisville-lost to North Carolina (5 NET) but wins over (18 NET) Notre Dame/ (10 NET) Virginia Tech
#5 Michigan-two losses to unranked teams (Michigan State/Northwestern), win over Maryland (15 NET)
#6 Arizona-two losses to unranked teams (Arizona State/Washington State), wins over 2 unranked foes

#7 Iowa State-blowout win over Oklahoma (9), blowout loss to Texas (15)
#8 Indiana-blowout loss to Nebraska (20 NET), loss to Iowa (21 NET), win over unranked Northwestern
#9 Oklahoma-double digit losses to Texas (15), Texas Tech (unranked), and Iowa State (7)

#10 Baylor-wins over unranked West Virginia and TCU
#11 UCONN-wins over unranked DePaul, Marquette, Georgetown and Xavier

#12 Tennessee-loss to unranked Alabama and South Carolina (1), wins over unranked Mizzou/Vandy
#13 LSU-wins over Georgia (NET 22), A&M, Mississippi State and Florida (ranked #15, NET 39)
#14 Notre Dame-wins over Georgia Tech (NET 23) and Miami, loss to Louisville (4)
#15 Texas-wins over Oklahoma (9), Iowa State (7) and unranked West Virginia
#16 Oregon-losses to unranked Oregon State and Stanford (2), wins over unranked UCLA/Cal

Teams in green likely move up, teams in red likely move down. If I had to rerank the top 12 right now I'd probably rank them as:
1. SC
2. Stanford
3. NC State
4. Louisville
5. Iowa State
6. Michigan
7. Baylor
8. UCONN
9. Texas
10. LSU
11. Indiana
12. Arizona

With Notre Dame right on the heels of Arizona. Tennessee/Oregon/OU appear to be on the outside looking in for hosting first 2 rounds. Ohio State/Maryland/Florida could sneak in for those last spots. Guessing there will be plenty of surprises in the next few weeks prior to the selection show, although at this point I do feel confident the top 4 seeds will come from SC/Stanford/NC State/Louisville/Baylor.

Reaction Score
LSU fans must be ecstatic after years of wandering in the wilderness
The last two coaching hires were duds unfortunately but I suppose thats the nature of sports.

I expected improvement but never comprehended getting this far. Its been a joy to watch the girls this year have the time of their life and win while doing it. Its a very limited team talent wise but its made up for with experience.

Reaction Score
LSU fans must be ecstatic after years of wandering in the wilderness
Yeah, if anyone had any doubts about Mulkey’s coaching abilities (not sure why anyone would) I would think their questions have been answered emphatically! I must say, while I had no such doubts, I am both shocked and awed at how quickly she has made them into a team that can play with anyone in the country on even terms. They are a tough out for anyone.

Reaction Score
I keep seeing the slams on the Big East teams. I believe they are under rated (not all of them to be sure!). DePaul, Villanova, Creighton, and even maybe Marquette could likely beat on any given day a third of the teams currently ranked in the top 25. Oh yeah and UConn isn't a bad Big East team either.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom