Week 10 - Non-UConn Games | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Week 10 - Non-UConn Games

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
LSU pulls it out!

Will Bama boosters now kick Saban out of his free house?

Reaction Score
Of course, I'm watching it....45-3. Van Dyke got injured, played a Frosh for most of the game. Wasn't listening to it (listening to some political speeches tonight), but said the Miami players might hit the portal... maybe Jim Mora could pick some... Miami isn't going bowling I think...
So they take the money and run. There is karma.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
1) Georgia, 2) Ohio State, 3) Michigan, 4) TCU

USC and Oregon are still in the mix when Michigan gets bludgeoned by Ohio State, but both USC and Oregon are going to have to earn it with some tough games left. I don't think TCU is going to make it through the season undefeated. They are good, but they are not that good and Baylor and Texas are solid opponents. I guess it is possible that a 2 loss SEC team could make the CFP.

Reaction Score
you've gotta hand it to Brian Kelly going for 2 for the win in OT

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
1) Georgia, 2) Ohio State, 3) Michigan, 4) TCU

USC and Oregon are still in the mix when Michigan gets bludgeoned by Ohio State, but both USC and Oregon are going to have to earn it with some tough games left. I don't think TCU is going to make it through the season undefeated. They are good, but they are not that good and Baylor and Texas are solid opponents. I guess it is possible that a 2 loss SEC team could make the CFP.
Tennessee is still in the mix...they will finish with one loss and won't have to play in the championship game.

They lost today at Georgia by 14. That isn't a bad loss.

It would be nice to have a playoff without Clemson and Alabama. Now we just need Ohio State bumped out.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Of course, I'm watching it....45-3. Van Dyke got injured, played a Frosh for most of the game. Wasn't listening to it (listening to some political speeches tonight), but said the Miami players might hit the portal... maybe Jim Mora could pick some... Miami isn't going bowling I think...
Cristobal has had a weird career. He got FIU a couple bowl seasons...then only won 3 games and got fired. That seemed odd. He was a a perfect fit there. No idea why they fired him....and they have stunk since. Then he goes to Oregon and does ok...not great....and yet Miami breaks the bank to get him to the Hurricanes.

It's his first season....and it's a transition year....but wow they have been awful.

So....is he a good coach...or just a good recruiter? Don't know.

Reaction Score
you've gotta hand it to Brian Kelly going for 2 for the win in OT

Absolutely the right call there. Both defenses were totally gassed by then. If he doesn’t go for 2 there, he gives ‘Bama the ability to go for the throat in the 2d OT. Only unfortunate that the QB and Center couldn’t quick snap the ball and cut the distance in half when the Tide lined up with 12.

Reaction Score
I would think that brings LSU back into the picture for one of the 4 spots, AS LONG as they win out which could include Georgia in the SEC championship (and they probably would want to face them to improve their chances).

Reaction Score
Yale led Brown 52-3 at halftime and eked out a 69-17 win.

Reaction Score
Cristobal has had a weird career. He got FIU a couple bowl seasons...then only won 3 games and got fired. That seemed odd. He was a a perfect fit there. No idea why they fired him....and they have stunk since. Then he goes to Oregon and does ok...not great....and yet Miami breaks the bank to get him to the Hurricanes.

It's his first season....and it's a transition year....but wow they have been awful.

Many thought Mario to be a perfect fit for Miami...first Cuban American Head Coach, player on two of the Canes national championship teams.

While at Bama, he was considered an elte recruiter....#1 class for four years...National Recruiter of the Year in 2015 and Runner Up in 2016.

He has inherited the team of a fired coach...the next few seasons will see how the talent he recruits will perform...if they give him the time.

Reaction Score
Absolutely the right call there. Both defenses were totally gassed by then. If he doesn’t go for 2 there, he gives ‘Bama the ability to go for the throat in the 2d OT. Only unfortunate that the QB and Center couldn’t quick snap the ball and cut the distance in half when the Tide lined up with 12.
True. I guess it would have been a bigger call if LSU only had 1 loss and was risking blowing their playoff chances. Question is, should Alabama have gone for 2 first, knowing it had to win the game. That would have been a ballsy call.

Reaction Score
True. I guess it would have been a bigger call if LSU only had 1 loss and was risking blowing their playoff chances. Question is, should Alabama have gone for 2 first, knowing it had to win the game. That would have been a ballsy call.
The odds are totally different. Let’s say getting the 2 is a 50/50 call (it’s less than that but not by much, and yesterday I think the odds were over 50%). If we assume everyone gets a TD and can get the 1 all the time if they want, if you go first there is a 50 per cent change you get it, but then half the time the second team will match you, meaning you win 25%, lose 50% and go to double OT 25%. If you do what LSU does, 50% chance you win, 50% chance you lose. Bottom line — in almost no circumstances do you go for 2 when you go first.

Reaction Score

He's a great recruiter, but he isn't known for anything else really. The whole reason people thought Miami would be pretty good this year was because they had a QB that was putting it up and building a lot of momentum. Crostobol came in, and from day one talked about wanting to be a physical, punishing team. They don't have those players, but he has tried to force it anyway with a stone age philosophy and has wrecked that kid. Football just isn't played like the way he wants to play it anymore, outside of maybe Georgia, but you will need 3 or 4 years of all star recruiting to get there.

As for the money he got, it's pretty simple. Everyone involved in the money down here are friends from Columbus high school. Ruiz, the Mas brothers, etc all went there. Alonzo Highsmith went there, Cristobol went there, and they are all like some old boys club or something. They want to win, and they think they know how to do it, so we will see. All I know is that if my son was a big time QB, I would not want him anywhere near the garbage that Cristobol and Josh Gattis run. It is really bad football.

Reaction Score
The odds are totally different. Let’s say getting the 2 is a 50/50 call (it’s less than that but not by much, and yesterday I think the odds were over 50%). If we assume everyone gets a TD and can get the 1 all the time if they want, if you go first there is a 50 per cent change you get it, but then half the time the second team will match you, meaning you win 25%, lose 50% and go to double OT 25%. If you do what LSU does, 50% chance you win, 50% chance you lose. Bottom line — in almost no circumstances do you go for 2 when you go first.
Nevertheless, Alabama lost and had it gone for 2, it may still be a playoff contender. Is that worth the risk? Saban is probably thinking yeah, it might have been. If it were a lock, it wouldn't take any balls whatsoever.

Reaction Score
Nevertheless, Alabama lost and had it gone for 2, it may still be a playoff contender. Is that worth the risk? Saban is probably thinking yeah, it might have been. If it were a lock, it wouldn't take any balls whatsoever.

Your point is that after you lose, you might wish you did something differently regardless of whether you made the odds on decisions at the time? Why that’s brilliant.

Reaction Score
Your point is that after you lose, you might wish you did something differently regardless of whether you made the odds on decisions at the time? Why that’s brilliant.
Your point is always be conservative and choose the highest probability play even if it means having an unsuccessful season. That's ballsy.

Reaction Score
Your point is always be conservative and choose the highest probability play even if it means having an unsuccessful season. That's ballsy.
LMAO. No, the point is saying that the high percentage play didn’t work so you should have done the low percentage play AFTER YOU KNOW THE RESULT is beyond a waste of time.

Reaction Score
LMAO. No, the point is saying that the high percentage play didn’t work so you should have done the low percentage play AFTER YOU KNOW THE RESULT is beyond a waste of time.
Dude, relax You yourself said Brian Kelly made the absolute right call. Maybe if Saban were able to think ahead more than 1 move and know LSU would go for 2 he would have anticipated that the safe play could cost him the season. No matter. He went with the quants and lost.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
He's a great recruiter, but he isn't known for anything else really. The whole reason people thought Miami would be pretty good this year was because they had a QB that was putting it up and building a lot of momentum. Crostobol came in, and from day one talked about wanting to be a physical, punishing team. They don't have those players, but he has tried to force it anyway with a stone age philosophy and has wrecked that kid. Football just isn't played like the way he wants to play it anymore, outside of maybe Georgia, but you will need 3 or 4 years of all star recruiting to get there.

As for the money he got, it's pretty simple. Everyone involved in the money down here are friends from Columbus high school. Ruiz, the Mas brothers, etc all went there. Alonzo Highsmith went there, Cristobol went there, and they are all like some old boys club or something. They want to win, and they think they know how to do it, so we will see. All I know is that if my son was a big time QB, I would not want him anywhere near the garbage that Cristobol and Josh Gattis run. It is really bad football.
Thanks. Any thoughts on why he was fired at FIU?

Reaction Score
Thanks. Any thoughts on why he was fired at FIU?
The only thing I remember is that Pete Garcia was the AD there and wanted his friend Butch Davis to take over. Now they didn't get Davis until the coach after Mario left, but that had to be part of it. Cristobol is clearly stubborn, it shows every time he gives an interview or a press conference. He feels like a "my way or the highway" type of guy, and that can be difficult to work with if you aren't winning. I have no doubts he will stack a lot of talent at Miami, but I think he will be capped by his stubborn philosophies. Good, but not great sort of thing. They were able to fire him at FIU, they won't be able to do that here as the big money wanted their buddy Mario or else.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Tennessee is still in the mix...they will finish with one loss and won't have to play in the championship game.

They lost today at Georgia by 14. That isn't a bad loss.

It would be nice to have a playoff without Clemson and Alabama. Now we just need Ohio State bumped out.

I forgot they had beaten LSU. That win looks better every week, which compensates for some of the wins like Pitt and Florida which seem less impressive every week.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom