Week 1 - other games thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Week 1 - other games thread

Reaction Score
Fresno State vs Cal Poly is an interesting game. Fresno is leading 21 to 7, but Cal doesn't look that bad in the first half.

Reaction Score
What are some of the other games people will be watching this weekend?

I have to admit I will have my eye on the locals.

In no particular order:
1) UMass at Tulane- debut of Don Brown who has brought in a bunch of transfers
2) Rutty at BC- whatever happens here I am likely to read too much into for years to come
3) Louisville at Syracuse- pressure is on Dino Babers… plus we play then next week so this is research
4) Cincy at Arkansas - hmmm intriguing collision here that will be use to interpolate much for both conf going forward.
5) ND at Ohio st- okay fine this is a big deal… and ND losing by 10 or less would be viewed as a victory (joking)
6) Utah at Florida - classic match up alert! Is Utah for real again, will Florida ever be Florida again?
7) Temple at Duke- loser is sure to do a lot of crying
8) Boise St at Oregon St- curious if Boise be that team again?
9) Oregon at Georgia - I suppose if scouting draft picks is your thing you watch this game. This can also be viewed as the beginning of the Phil knight desperation tour for a B1G ticket.
10) Utah St at Alabama, so if Utah St wins by 12 does that mean we are hair better than Bama ?!?!?
11) I tried to cap it at 10, but I have to mention the Penn St at Purdue game - Purdue has a good QB and Penn State has yet to get back to top form.

Also notable; checking in on CT boys Van Dyke in Miami and Levis in Kentucky
I would also add Clemson vs Georgia Tech on Monday night and Florida State vs LSU on Sunday. Both are the only games on those nights

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Would have been a brutal loss for Pitt with 14 starters back from an ACC title team and more hype around the program than I can remember.

If only Neal Brown had ended the game when he had the chance.
Brown's explanation left much to be desired in that he assumed the ensuing punt wouldn't roll into the end zone or have any return and Pitt would have to march 90+ yards. That's never a guarantee. And Donaldson would be money on short yardage based on what he'd already done. You take that shot every time, IMHO, especially on the road.

While there's no doubt Ford-Wheaton had to make that catch that turned into a pick-6, it overshadowed what a great game he had otherwise, much like Carter's fumble last weekend. WVU was better than I expected and Pitt was worse. Slovis has a great arm, but his pocket awareness sucks, especially in comparison to Daniels who made some great throws while about to get creamed. Made me appreciate just how good and unique the Pickett to Addison combo was last season.

Reaction Score
Brown's explanation left much to be desired in that he assumed the ensuing punt wouldn't roll into the end zone or have any return and Pitt would have to march 90+ yards. That's never a guarantee. And Donaldson would be money on short yardage based on what he'd already done. You take that shot every time, IMHO, especially on the road.

While there's no doubt Ford-Wheaton had to make that catch that turned into a pick-6, it overshadowed what a great game he had otherwise, much like Carter's fumble last weekend. WVU was better than I expected and Pitt was worse. Slovis has a great arm, but his pocket awareness sucks, especially in comparison to Daniels who made some great throws while about to get creamed. Made me appreciate just how good and unique the Pickett to Addison combo was last season.
Unfortunately, Ford-Wheaton deflected the ball into the air rather than make the reception. That led to an easy catch for the defender and the pick six. Good game otherwise and I have no horse in the race. There were a few official reviews late in the game but IMO the officials got them all right.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Let’s bring back the pick-em game.

Reaction Score
Lots of UConn fans wanted Joe Moorhead as HC. Let's see how he's doing... View attachment 78773
Wow. That was almost really bad.
Honestly speaking, if we had the opportunity to get him back when Disco got canned, he's probably still here. I think he was a fit here, back then...
Mora brings the right mindset to what we're trying to achieve here. Makes me wish he was here the year COVID hit instead just these past 10 months...
Everything happens for a reason....

Reaction Score
Fresno State vs Cal Poly is an interesting game. Fresno is leading 21 to 7, but Cal doesn't look that bad in the first half.
I think we circle this particular game. Rematch....

Reaction Score
To me Mora seems like a great GM. He has brought in a staff beyond coaches to help compete in the new era of college athletics. It is likely that UCONN could have gotten Morehead who is likely a good coach. You still need the right players to be successful. Just ask Scott Frost.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
That was some pretty bad clock management by Brohm at the end of the Purdue/PSU game. They deserved to lose.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Lots of UConn fans wanted Joe Moorhead as HC. Let's see how he's doing... View attachment 78773
Wow. That was almost really bad.
Moorhead would have been a nice hire but we did far better than we ever could have imagined.

In all candor, i don't think there is anyone who we could have (realistically) hired who would have brought the immediate credibility to the program that Mora has. Most would have needed a couple of years of continued improvement here before some of the transfers/recruits we now have would have considered us.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Second time they've beaten VT.

It's a few years away but they're a solid addition to our future schedules.

And this was game 1 of a 10 year series between the two schools.

I know there are plenty on this board who don't get excited over ODU but that is a school which should be a competitive D1 program. Plenty of local talent in Hampton Roads area and close enough to draw talent from DelMarVa and the Carolinas too.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Wow, I remember in the old Big East days when VT use to be a really good football team. The ACC really had no vision when they expanded. They grabbed a lot of one hit wonders.

Remember VT was never part of the ACC plan. They were a cling on due to Virginia state politics and UVA not voting for expansion by raiding the BE unless VT was included. Horse trading.

Reaction Score
And this was game 1 of a 10 year series between the two schools.

I know there are plenty on this board who don't get excited over ODU but that is a school which should be a competitive D1 program. Plenty of local talent in Hampton Roads area and close enough to draw talent from DelMarVa and the Carolinas too.
I for one wasn't too excited but you know more about the school and potential recruiting than I. I was surprised to see ODU beat VT yesterday but I was basing VT on their Big East Years. My only memory of ODU was their WBB games against UConn which haven't been played since 2008.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Very few programs switch from major conference to another major conference and improve. See BC, VaTech, Syracuse, Miami, West Virginia, Maryland and err Rutgers. Until last year, Pitt was in that group as well.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Feel bad for ECU. PK followed up a missed extra point with missing a FG. They lose by 1.

Would have a huge win them over #13 NC ST.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom