Wecome Richard Lagow | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Wecome Richard Lagow

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
I hear what ur saying, but no matter how hard anyone tries, you can't put a wet blanket on this one. Boyle was the first option because he was the instate kid and Imo, all things being equal you try to get that kid first. If he rejects you, you don't take a lesser talented local kid, you go elsewhere and get at least an equal talent. Lagow, is no way, shape, or form a less talented kid than Boyle, so he is no consolation prize. Look at his highlights and you'll see this kid has IT.

I'll play devil's advocate:

The skeptics will wonder why Lagow didn't have other offers. Boyle had 6 BCS offers including Florida; the Syracuse QB Zach Allen had offers from North Texas, Texas State, Minnesota.

Also, he has only played 1 season as the starting QB on his high school team, and results were sort of mediocre: 4-5 record, 56% completion rate, 184 passing yards per game, 13 TD, 6 INT, QB rating of 90. http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/17I6dVw85UuOLe0h8y0E-w/football-fall-11/stats-richard-lagow.htm

My view, he has the physical tools, he can develop, the ratings services love him so we know he can throw, I trust the coaching staff, he's way ahead of Johnny McEntee at a similar stage of their careers, and he's 6'5", so there's real potential there. Just a matter of practice and learning to read defenses and make good, quick decisions.

We'll see how it turns out, but he has big potential upside, and all QBs are gambles. A good get.

Reaction Score
Dan didn't you say kids from Texas were mocking us on twitter... good to see P changed some minds.
I'm sure there are still people in Texas mocking Uconn. Heck, there's people in CT mocking Uconn on this board.

Reaction Score
How many presumablies does it take in one sentence to put a wet blanket on a nice commitment? To the extent I can tell, it's two.

This is who the staff wanted on June 10, and they got him. That makes it good news.

Great news is when a player we recruit helps us win games. I'm sorry I don't fall head over heals as I guess I'm supposed to every time we sign someone.

Now it's not enough to say good things == I have to say them with feeling or I'm anti -P? Anti -UConn? Anti what exactly?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Great pick up!! Welcome to the Dog Pound, Richard! I'm guessing that PP's time with the Cowboys has helped him to recruit the greater Dallas area. Keep the Husky Train rollin', Pasqualoni!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This is who the staff wanted on June 10, and they got him. That makes it good news.

Great news is when a player we recruit helps us win games. I'm sorry I don't fall head over heals
as I guess I'm supposed to every time we sign someone.

Now it's not enough to say good things == I have to say them with feeling or I'm anti -P? Anti -UConn? Anti what exactly?

Sucks finding out via the internets that you aren't a good fan. lol.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
We have a recruiting board.

I've gotta be honest; I like when we hook a recruit up with some love on both the recruit board and the football board. It lets them know that they chose well... HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
The real question is, does this kid have a trick-shot video? If not, he has a long offseason ahead of him. I can't get behind a QB who can't throw the ball over the cowboy at the Texas State fairgrounds and land it in a trash can on the other side, right next to the ribs and chili booths. Do it, you won't!

Reaction Score

Great news is when a player we recruit helps us win games. I'm sorry I don't fall head over heals as I guess I'm supposed to every time we sign someone.

You could just say "good get" and we all know that not every recruit works out. Sometimes it's okay to be optimistic and know that every positive comes with a caveat. ;)

Reaction Score
Lagow throwing bombs to Bradley and Thomas from behind a wall of protection from Hopkins and Barone. I like the sound of that!

Reaction Score
News to me. Now I know where the recruiting threads went. I have the FB and realignment board bookmarked so I never knew we had a new recruiting board.

Don'know how I missed the announcement. Maybe should haved pinned it for a few days.

We have a recruiting board.

Reaction Score
You could just say "good get" and we all know that not every recruit works out. Sometimes it's okay to be optimistic and know that every positive comes with a caveat. ;)

I'm missing your point. Did I tell someone not to be optimistic about his signing? Or is your point you get to tell me how optimistic I should be?

Reaction Score
QB from Plano, TX. 6'6" 220lbs. 3 star rated kid (if that matters to you).

Think Phiip Rivers physical lookalike when he's groomed and ready.

Reaction Score
News to me. Now I know where the recruiting threads went. I have the FB and realignment board bookmarked so I never knew we had a new recruiting board.

Don'know how I missed the announcement. Maybe should haved pinned it for a few days.

i'm not sure how long they've h ad a separate recruiting board, but i just noticed it last week. i thought everybody was taking the summer off but it turns out much of the activity moved to the recruiting board

Reaction Score
The recruiting board does NOT show up on my drop down menu.

To access it I have to open the "forums" page and there is a link. So I'm not surprised some folks don't know it exists.

Reaction Score
Well, we have our QB for the class. To the extent you can tell, doesn't look like the first choice but, if you're committing to him in June, presumably this is presumably one that the staff is happy with. So that makes it good news.

Here is hoping to a productive career at UConn.

Au contrair . . . counselor. Not until the UConn QB situation is straightened out should UConn limit itself in recruiting that position. Too much opportunity for transfers, disciplinary problems, injuries, "does not pan out", etc. UConn dug itself a deep whole at this position when Randy could not follow up with anyone near Dan O's ability as a passer and it obviously is gonna take some doing to upgrade this position to the BCS level. Hopefully, the Huskies turn the corner this year with Whitmer or Cochran or Nebrich or one of the "solutions" that we've been patiently waiting for. Nebrich is a good case in point. He was all people could talk about when he was in his senior year. He was the answer . . . and the early returns indicate he's not. Hope he proves that assessment hasty. Moral to the story, keep on keeping on with the QB recruiting. Like pitching you can never have too much.

Reaction Score
The recruiting board does NOT show up on my drop down menu.

To access it I have to open the "forums" page and there is a link. So I'm not surprised some folks don't know it exists.
Noticed that too... makes it difficult to track sents it's not on the drop down menu

pj

Reaction Score
Neither is the conference realignment board. An administrator needs to update the forum list.

Reaction Score
I'm missing your point. Did I tell someone not to be optimistic about his signing? Or is your point you get to tell me how optimistic I should be?

Nope, just felt that the talk about how recruits don't always work out and how you're cast as "Anti-P" seemed a little off-message and superfluous. :)

Reaction Score
Au contrair . . . counselor. Not until the UConn QB situation is straightened out should UConn limit itself in recruiting that position. Too much opportunity for transfers, disciplinary problems, injuries, "does not pan out", etc. UConn dug itself a deep whole at this position when Randy could not follow up with anyone near Dan O's ability as a passer and it obviously is gonna take some doing to upgrade this position to the BCS level. Hopefully, the Huskies turn the corner this year with Whitmer or Cochran or Nebrich or one of the "solutions" that we've been patiently waiting for. Nebrich is a good case in point. He was all people could talk about when he was in his senior year. He was the answer . . . and the early returns indicate he's not. Hope he proves that assessment hasty. Moral to the story, keep on keeping on with the QB recruiting. Like pitching you can never have too much.

+1 on the QB baseball pitcher comparison...

I believe that the crop of QBs we have now are CLEARLY a better group than we've ever had at one point in our history.... We just gotta put it all together... Hopefully this year we start seeing more results... I'm talking numbers being put up the way DanO did it in the early 2000's

Reactions: pj

pj

Reaction Score
I believe that the crop of QBs we have now are CLEARLY a better group than we've ever had at one point in our history.... We just gotta put it all together... Hopefully this year we start seeing more results... I'm talking numbers being put up the way DanO did it in the early 2000's

Agreed, I think it's just a matter of time, practice, game experience, the whole offense getting on the same page, the coaches learning how to call the game for their players. We have a collection of talented QBs, one of them will step forward. I would love for it to happen from game 1 this year. But sooner or later, the offense is going to be special.

Interesting that so far we have 5 commits for the offense, none for the D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom