We wont get any better.....until we get better | The Boneyard

We wont get any better.....until we get better

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
There are alot of "what if's" posted and theyre not gonna change anything. There are many reasons we lost. We are what we are guys. Missing 3 starters and Griff. Its painful for all of us and its got to hurt bad for each team member and the coaches. Its been a crazy season. Ive read just about every single post and some hurt. We call them "our girls". This is not the way some of you not all of you talk about our girls??? I know it comes from frustration and part of the frustration is not knowing whats going on. We are not in the locker room or with the team so we dont know why Geno does what he does. Another thing we dont know who's healthy and who's not. Paige we know about but we dont know when shes coming back. Caroline and Ono we dont know whats going on there either. Dorka and Evina we dont know if there is anything wrong. Geno knows what he's doing, so lets leave it alone. Its been a very difficult and tuff season for everybody associated with UConn and thats the way it is. I thought Caroline wouldve been back for this game and instead Liv was out too. Liv was at the last second. Hey we dont know what to expect next. Its gotta be tuff for Geno too dealing with everything thats going on.

We do know we have Depaul next. We can assume that without Caroline and Liv we will most likely struggle. I hope their back and playing well. The only thing we can do now is hope we are at full strength for the NCAAs because right now we wont get any better...until we get better

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Part of the frustration is knowing what the team can be vs the one we saw on the court last night. Yes, Olivia’s absence hurt but that doesn’t explain a lack of effort, the lazy passes, and the missed point blank shots.

I don’t care about losing if the Huskies go all out and lose to a better team but seeing them get outplayed is just demoralizing.

Reaction Score
For me the most telling stat was our bigs had one rebound in 30 minutes, and 1 rebound in 20 minutes. As the announcers kept saying rebounding is about effort. Who wants it more? And placement. How many times did I see us shoot and miss, and there were 4 blue jerseys under the basket and not one white jersey within 10 feet of the basket? And this is one game after outrebounding Tennessee. Losing Liv hurt, but if she only gets 7 rebounds a game that doesn't explain last night's rebounding collapse. It hurts when you see players not playing up to their potential. It should hurt them even more than it hurts us.

Reaction Score
I don’t care about losing if the Huskies go all out and loses to a better team but seeing them get outplayed is just demoralizing.
You hit it on the head. This is about the way this team plays more than the wins and losses or the box score. Villanova played great and hit shots (lots of them), but we were out hustled and outrebounded. As Geno said, they wanted it more, and that is a tough position to be in.

Reaction Score
Hey Posters...We're spending a lot of waisted time and energy trying to second guess this injury bitten team ...

Our season will really start when we get all the gals back on the court rested and healthy. Then the team Coach "G" crafted will be on the court and odds are that a healthy UConn will win the National, going away!!

So keep the flag flying and the powder dry ... Our day will come!!
c

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
-Based on the full year's record, it was folly to expect Aaliyah to have a virtual 'perfect game"
as she had against Tennessee. She reverted a bit...She's still going to be a wonderful player.

-We don't know the physical condition of Dorka or E for that matter (in this year of more understanding of woman's issues).but both were off their game.

-Clearly Nika was also less effective...and that's the roster...2 guards played to or above their standard, not enough...

-We've seen the team win and lose looking un-UConn, But this was a little like the Ga.Tech game in which they appeared shell-shocked.

I'm not one of those who believe that the team is a lock for a final-4 when everyone is back, but it's certainly possible.

But even with our stars they could revert....What's for sure is that this team is mentally and physically fragile, therefore unpredictable.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
You hit it on the head. This is about the way this team plays more than the wins and losses or the box score. Villanova played great and hit shots (lots of them), but we were out hustled and outrebounded. As Geno said, they wanted it more, and that is a tough position to be in.

Everyone talks about lack of effort, hustle and intensity and I agree that is a part of it but for me, it is a mental breakdown when so many open 3pt shots are given. Paige had shown that anticipation and knowing what your opponents want to do is key. (Paige is an excellent rebounder for that reason as well) Get to the spots early, anticipate. Know your scout. God knows we have the physical advantages.

Reaction Score
Everyone talks about lack of effort, hustle and intensity and I agree that is a part of it but for me, it is a mental breakdown when so many open 3pt shots are given. Paige had shown that anticipation and knowing what your opponents want to do is key. (Paige is an excellent rebounder for that reason as well) Get to the spots early, anticipate. Know your scout. God knows we have the physical advantages.

Perhaps the mental drain on a group of young people on the continued piling of bad things that are happening to the team and their teammates is having a much bigger effect on the team no matter what they say about the next man up. I know I would be mentally exhausted if things like that were happening to me in real life.

Reaction Score
Part of the frustration is knowing what the team can be vs the one we saw on the court last night. Yes, Olivia’s absence hurt but that doesn’t explain a lack of effort, the lazy passes, and the missed point blank shots.

I don’t care about losing if the Huskies go all out and loses to a better team but seeing them get outplayed is just demoralizing.
Geno has the luxury of recruiting from among the best players both nationally and internationally. How we ended up with a team that is so inconsistent and lacking in will to win so frequently is beyond me. Last night exactly two players showed up. I am not used to having Uconn look confused and without energy for entire games. We were getting out muscled and hustled for rebounds all night, couldn't maintain any defensive pressure, and were outplayed by a pretty good team, not a really good team, that won because they played a coherent game plan (and made open shots) and played hard. Paith and DeBerry may not be ready for prime time but I would have had started to rotate them in the game in the third quarter just to change things up and to see if they could add some energy and snag a few rebounds.

Reaction Score

I don’t care about losing if the Huskies go all out and lose to a better team but seeing them get outplayed is just demoralizing.
Here's the thing. Uconn was 2 , 2 point baskets from winning. They were 1 minute of game time from winning. My belief is if Fudd was turned loose earlier with drives with or without being fouled, it was a win. Woulda, Coulda's are only for fan. But I do them nevertheless.
The point of this is: I was more than pleased with their come back from 19 down. Guts, determination, talent always shows through with true champions. Uconn is a team of champions, hurt, sick, banged up champions.

Reaction Score
Geno has the luxury of recruiting from among the best players both nationally and internationally. How we ended up with a team that is so inconsistent and lacking in will to win so frequently is beyond me. Last night exactly two players showed up. I am not used to having Uconn look confused and without energy for entire games. We were getting out muscled and hustled for rebounds all night, couldn't maintain any defensive pressure, and were outplayed by a pretty good team, not a really good team, that won because they played a coherent game plan (and made open shots) and played hard. Paith and DeBerry may not be ready for prime time but I would have had started to rotate them in the game in the third quarter just to change things up and to see if they could add some energy and snag a few rebounds.

Reaction Score
6 or 7 players, some healthy-er than others, is all Geno had to play. You are GENO, what would YOU do to make sure you had 5 on the floor in the 2nd half?
I'd do what GENO did---I'd say, Don't Foul, we need you you nth floor. With the Wildcats shooting their brains out--it seeps into the brain, we can't play tough defense (until late the 4th quarter when Geno had fouls to give---and Uconn played Uconn defense. Bitch, moan, scream (as I did) You and I aren't Geno nor did we have to develop a game plan to stay out of foul trouble and try to win.
Geno went from 15 to 12 with 3 transfers thinking they'd not play. Then injuries, sickness set in and Uconn is down to 6 or 7. Crazy, but that is what Geno had to work with.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While I continue to be hopeful, there were two things that concerned me. We still don’t know what exactly is wrong with Liv or Caroline for that matter. UConn has a really tough rematch with DePaul tomorrow and then the Huskies hit the road for another tough matchup vs Marquette on SuperBowl Sunday. If Liv & Caroline are not good to go for either of those games UConn could be 15-7 by Monday morning.

My second concern is with Paige’s recovery. Geno was vague on the process. The only thing she’s doing right now is stationary shooting. The process by which she will regain her ability to move on the court sounded painstakingly slow.

For the first time this season I’m starting to feel like a Brooklyn Dodger fan, who’s annual refrain of “Wait till next year” sustained them during the off-season until spring training rolled around.

Reaction Score
There are alot of "what if's" posted and theyre not gonna change anything. There are many reasons we lost. We are what we are guys. Missing 3 starters and Griff. Its painful for all of us and its got to hurt bad for each team member and the coaches. Its been a crazy season. Ive read just about every single post and some hurt. We call them "our girls". This is not the way some of you not all of you talk about our girls??? I know it comes from frustration and part of the frustration is not knowing whats going on. We are not in the locker room or with the team so we dont know why Geno does what he does. Another thing we dont know who's healthy and who's not. Paige we know about but we dont know when shes coming back. Caroline and Ono we dont know whats going on there either. Dorka and Evina we dont know if there is anything wrong. Geno knows what he's doing, so lets leave it alone. Its been a very difficult and tuff season for everybody associated with UConn and thats the way it is. I thought Caroline wouldve been back for this game and instead Liv was out too. Liv was at the last second. Hey we dont know what to expect next. Its gotta be tuff for Geno too dealing with everything thats going on.

We do know we have Depaul next. We can assume that without Caroline and Liv we will most likely struggle. I hope their back and playing well. The only thing we can do now is hope we are at full strength for the NCAAs because right now we wont get any better...until we get better
Well said, Tonyc

Reaction Score

I thought the thing which hurt the most was on the defensive end. Not straying with your player in the M2M, slow close outs, etc.

Reaction Score
I agree the defense was less than stellar. Some of you have missed the point that it was not possible to play tight defense when you have no fouls to give. Many wanted to see Amari or Piath. Geno obviously doesn't think they are ready for prime time yet. That left 2 bigs with no backup. They could not afford to foul. How about the guards - the team has 6 - 2 were not able to play. Leaves 4. Needed 3 on the court. Leaves one to provide extra breaks and fouls. Why did the defense get so much better in the last 5 minutes? Because the fear of fouling out no longer mattered and they could finially play good tight D. Before you go crazy with criticism look to see why Geno did what he did and why the D looked subpar.

Reaction Score
Many thanks TonyC. And me? I like this loss. It's not a set back. Its more re-calibration. We were on a 'false' run- especially after the Vols, but still with players in and out, and too much of a one woman show. This loss shakes things up; we need a big-- E & D to step up/in and do more than giving Olivia minutes on the Bench. As for the BE, we now have a true 3-team(?) race and therefore a new beginning as a full roster is realised. All the other none-sense (sorry to be dismissive) we cannot used for anything. I'm most happy that CW stepped forward an took responsibility for the lost. She is the one who must tell the others how the game is to be won. That is a lot more than how many points she has totaled, and more what is to be done and how and who, etc.

JBK

Reaction Score
I agree with you on DeBerry. The men practice players say she is killing it in practice.
I love the energy, grit and fire Muhl brings to the team, but she is a below average offensive player and average defender and passer.
She started last year with Paige and started again this year - we never had a championship team with an average/below average starting guard.
Do you think she would start on most of the big East teams.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom