We should play Providence in Boston Garden once year. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

We should play Providence in Boston Garden once year.

Reaction Score
Why not BC or Harvard? Or One of the BU games?

oh wait. You mean basketball? BC might be the 11th sports option but college hoops is probably 9 th. Interesting thought but I doubt it works.

Reaction Score
You do realize the difference with a conference game though right?
I do. I was simply pointing out why in the world teams like UConn and PC would consider playing a conference opponent in Boston. I didn't say they would, I was pointing out the main gist of the thread. You do realize that is what I was doing right?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There is literally no reason for us to play in the Garden once a year unless it’s Madison Square and then we should play there more than once a year.

Reaction Score
Suggesting we play conference games at a neutral venue is stupid. I do agree that tossing Boston alumni an occasional bone would be a decent idea, especially if we could convince another power 6 program to play us there.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We already pissed away a home FB game in Boston. If there was any residual benefit post-game, I must have missed it.

Reaction Score
No one suggested we should give up a home conference game. People get fixated on one tiny component and miss the big picture. The thread is about getting ANY game in Boston. PC was mentioned but that could be a non-conference mini-tourney game. And if UConn and PC want to actually consider playing a conference game in Boston, let them discuss it if the exposure and warrants it.

Reaction Score
There is literally no reason for us to play in the Garden once a year unless it’s Madison Square and then we should play there more than once a year.
There are reasons. Opportunity to increase the fan base. Generating a larger presence in a rich recruiting area. Opportunity to enhance and expand the brand in a major media market. Opportunity to increase merchandise sales. Raise the profile and image of the university in general.

You may not find those reasons compelling. But they are "literally" valid. Plus, it's gives existing fanbase a chance to visit Mike's Pastry or other Hanover haunts.

Reaction Score
We already pissed away a home FB game in Boston. If there was any residual benefit post-game, I must have missed it.
Not a game. A yearly game would establish a presence.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I wouldn't play PC since neither program is giving up a home game. But I agree they should do a doubleheader and play a marquee game there with BC and/or PC also being involved in the doubleheader.

I went to the Gonzaga game at the Garden in December 2007, which was combined with a PC/BC game, and the arena was pretty full. There are definitely a lot of UConn fans in the Boston area and it's a short fun trip for Connecticut people.

Double header with women and men playing BC? The women would be a draw. I’d suggest a hockey - basketball double header, but I doubt they can change it fast enough.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I can't believe people are really discussing moving a conference game to a neutral venue.

Conference game won’t work, of course. But you could have something like the Beanpot. UConn, BC, Vermont and UMass.

Reaction Score
The Boston Garden hosted The Colonial Classic. UMass BC Holy Cross PC for a two day tournament. UConn was in a couple of them just before the BE was formed.

C

Chief00

The CRDA overplayed their hand and now they realize it. They are in damage control mode, trying to get their politicians friends to help keep UConn games there. Mohegan Sun is a player now too.

Reaction Score
Cool idea! I always thought a unique idea would be having the NET Top-8 New England teams from the year before play in a tournament in TD Garden. Would be cool if they could figure out some type of game(s) there.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
This is a bad idea and I live in Boston. Both PC and UConn need to play at home for their fan bases. UConn, after the years in the AAC and poor performance, needs to rebuild the home fan base and increase the number of season ticket holders.
What a downer of a take, and so matter of fact. Let's hear from the other person who lives in Boston and can assess the relative state of the UConn and Providence program's and their relative ability to drum up excitement around this matchup (in the Garden no less). I'm sure more than a few will turnout to root for New England's team - UCONN against Providence.

Reaction Score
No one suggested we should give up a home conference game.
Aside from the title of the thread, and the rest of these quotes, you've made a great point.
The reason I like the idea of playing PC in Boston is that it allows us the opportunity to take over the city with PC and UConn fans all over the city for a day. It also leaves BCU out in the cold which is always great. But this is more a thought piece about something we should think about to expand our brand. There are a lot of different ways to approach it.

Love the idea of having a UConn invitational tournament in Boston. It would make a great week end.

I think playing PeeCee at Mohegan Sun is a better idea - both teams are regional and that is a close site
I know its much smaller than the TD Garden but I feel that games against national blue bloods like Michigan, UCLA, Kansas etc would be better suited for TD Garden

Well you could schedule games in subsequent seasons so each team gives up a home game

What a downer of a take, and so matter of fact. Let's hear from the other person who lives in Boston and can assess the relative state of the UConn and Providence program's and their relative ability to drum up excitement around this matchup (in the Garden no less). I'm sure more than a few will turnout to root for New England's team - UCONN against Providence.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I disagree with most of your opinions on here. Having said that, this is spot on. There’s a big alumni presence in Boston and this seems like a no-brainer.
Can’t do it. It is too far for Fairfield County fans to drive.

Last edited:

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
UConn fans- driving to Storrs is too far
Also UConn fans- we should play conference games in an entirely different state

Reaction Score
Boston might have a ton of UConn alumni but if we're scheduling games in another state then it needs to be at MSG. NYC is much more important to UConn than Boston will ever be, especially now that we're back in the Big East

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom