We should play Providence in Boston Garden once year. | The Boneyard

We should play Providence in Boston Garden once year.

Reaction Score
Or someone. We should make the same effort to conquer Boston as we do New York. 5th largest media market in the country. Great recruiting grounds with great high school basketball programs. Maybe play a double header at the Garden, PC and Northeasten in the opener, UConn versus Harvard in the headliner.

Boston College University basketball is about the 11th sporting option in Hub. It would be pretty easy to make a bigger splash than BCU. Pocket a few bucks and build a bigger fanbase by paying a little attention to the city. Boston is a valuable piece of real estate in our backyard that we have pretty much ignored. Don't know why. We could own it with just a little effort.

This is a bag of money and attention just sitting there.

Reaction Score
This is a bad idea and I live in Boston. Both PC and UConn need to play at home for their fan bases. UConn, after the years in the AAC and poor performance, needs to rebuild the home fan base and increase the number of season ticket holders.

Reaction Score
After the COVID.....If we ditch the problematic XL CENTER, and register sell outs on our Gampel games, this idea becomes even more attractive. Weekend games only and maybe sell out the Garden!

Reaction Score
I wouldn't play PC since neither program is giving up a home game. But I agree they should do a doubleheader and play a marquee game there with BC and/or PC also being involved in the doubleheader.

I went to the Gonzaga game at the Garden in December 2007, which was combined with a PC/BC game, and the arena was pretty full. There are definitely a lot of UConn fans in the Boston area and it's a short fun trip for Connecticut people.

Reaction Score
Have to agree that while this is good in theory, it's not in practice. Keep these games at home sites.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't play PC since neither program is giving up a home game. But I agree they should do a doubleheader and play a marquee game there with BC and/or PC also being involved in the doubleheader.

I went to the Gonzaga game at the Garden in December 2007, which was combined with a PC/BC game, and the arena was pretty full. There are definitely a lot of UConn fans in the Boston area and it's a short fun trip for Connecticut people.
Yep, playing Providence there makes no sense but should try and schedule a game with a bigtime national program there each season.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Wait the UConn-Gonzaga game at the TD Garden was 14 years ago? Holy .
Closer to 13 actually. I bought a diamond ring over Thanksgiving weekend in Boston.

We were sitting in the upper level at that doubleheader at the Garden, when I told my buddies I was proposing to my wife.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Closer to 13 actually. I bought a diamond ring over Thanksgiving weekend in Boston.

We were sitting in the upper level at that doubleheader at the Garden, when I told my buddies, I was proposing to my wife.
So did you propose to her at the game? If that is her idea of romantic she is a keeper.

Reaction Score
Great idea. Inspires me for other ideas:

* UConn/Cuse game at MSG.

* A CT one-day, quadruple-header at Bridgeport's Webster Bank Arena with 8 PM Yale/UConn, 6 PM Sacred Heart/Fairfield, 2 PM Quinnipiac/Hartford and noon St. Joe's/CCSU. One $50 ticket gets you access to all games.

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
So did you propose to her at the game? If that is her idea of romantic she is a keeper.
No. I didn't have physical possession of the ring yet.

I was in the process of planning a weekend getaway, but her mother actually screwed it up, when she my wife her what I was calling for (I don't have a history of calling them). I had called her parents to "do it right" and "ask" permission. I proposed that night...

Halftime of the WFT/Giants game...THAT makes her a keeper. ;)

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

We were sitting in the upper level at that doubleheader at the Garden, when I told my buddies I was proposing to my wife.
This makes the whole thread worth it, whether the idea is a good one or bad one.

At least nobody is suggesting that the Celtics get enticed to move to Hartford, with a replacement arena for the XL as part of the deal.

Reaction Score
Makes sense to try to play in Boston. We could schedule Northeastern, Harvard, Boston U, UMass, Holy Cross. No need to give BCU a bone.

We don't need to give up a home game. Maybe get someone to create a pre-season/holiday tournament including UConn, PC, Harvard, Brown, Dartmouth, or the aforementioned MA schools. Could take BCU for ballast, Chief, but they'll have to ante up.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Or someone. We should make the same effort to conquer Boston as we do New York. 5th largest media market in the country. Great recruiting grounds with great high school basketball programs. Maybe play a double header at the Garden, PC and Northeasten in the opener, UConn versus Harvard in the headliner.

Boston College University basketball is about the 11th sporting option in Hub. It would be pretty easy to make a bigger splash than BCU. Pocket a few bucks and build a bigger fanbase by paying a little attention to the city. Boston is a valuable piece of real estate in our backyard that we have pretty much ignored. Don't know why. We could own it with just a little effort.

This is a bag of money and attention just sitting there.
Its hockey season why you mucking it up with basketball?

Reaction Score
a game against BC at the garden would be infinitely better than playing a cupcake at XL and it would still be an automatic win. we concede to letting them blow our doors off in football at fenway so this is only fair.

Reaction Score
We don't need to give up a home game. Maybe get someone to create a pre-season/holiday tournament including UConn, PC, Harvard, Brown, Dartmouth, or the aforementioned MA schools. Could take BCU for ballast, Chief, but they'll have to ante up.

The reason I like the idea of playing PC in Boston is that it allows us the opportunity to take over the city with PC and UConn fans all over the city for a day. It also leaves BCU out in the cold which is always great. But this is more a thought piece about something we should think about to expand our brand. There are a lot of different ways to approach it.

Love the idea of having a UConn invitational tournament in Boston. It would make a great week end.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I think playing PeeCee at Mohegan Sun is a better idea - both teams are regional and that is a close site
I know its much smaller than the TD Garden but I feel that games against national blue bloods like Michigan, UCLA, Kansas etc would be better suited for TD Garden

Reaction Score
No.

Just schedule BCU, a one-off (or a home/away/neutral) with a marquee program.

But we're not giving up a home conference game and neither is PC. It's foolish to even suggest otherwise.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom