We should play Providence in Boston Garden once year. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

We should play Providence in Boston Garden once year.

Reaction Score
I proposed to my wife in 1981. She would have physically harmed me if I had asked her parents permission to marry her before I proposed, as if it wasn't totally her choice and her parents had a say in it . Different people have different views.

I didn't ask permission. What is this? 410 A.D.? Was I supposed to present her father with a fatted calf while asking permission too?

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Of course a game in Boston with PC would attract fans, but UConn men's basketball has to rebuild the fan base and taking away attractive home games is not going to help. Have you looked at the attendance at UConn basketball games over the past 10 years? Last 4 years, the average attendance has been 8,546. The 6 previous years, the average attendance was 11,029. Attendance has declined ~23% and you think it's a good idea to move a home game that would probably sell out? In case you haven't noticed, UConn athletics could really use the revenue.

I have been to almost every UConn basketball and football game in Boston and Providence over the past 25+ years. I even was at the UConn/BC basketball game in the Garden in 1987 when UConn lost Robinson and Gamble to academics yet beat BC with 5 scholarship players and started a walk-on. Even the UConn soccer goalie dressed for the game. Boston is convenient for me, but I would rather go to a sold out game at Gampel or the XL Center or tailgate at the Rent.
Point well made sir and I have to defer "somewhat" to your olehead fandom bonafides
Of course a game in Boston with PC would attract fans, but UConn men's basketball has to rebuild the fan base and taking away attractive home games is not going to help. Have you looked at the attendance at UConn basketball games over the past 10 years? Last 4 years, the average attendance has been 8,546. The 6 previous years, the average attendance was 11,029. Attendance has declined ~23% and you think it's a good idea to move a home game that would probably sell out? In case you haven't noticed, UConn athletics could really use the revenue.

I have been to almost every UConn basketball and football game in Boston and Providence over the past 25+ years. I even was at the UConn/BC basketball game in the Garden in 1987 when UConn lost Robinson and Gamble to academics yet beat BC with 5 scholarship players and started a walk-on. Even the UConn soccer goalie dressed for the game. Boston is convenient for me, but I would rather go to a sold out game at Gampel or the XL Center or tailgate at the Rent.
Point well made and a bow to your olehead diehard fandom??

Edit: Poor execution on my part UConn Jim, anyhow you get the point.

Reaction Score
There is literally no reason for us to play in the Garden once a year unless it’s Madison Square and then we should play there more than once a year.
NS what great HS BBALL in Boston are they talking about??
Rich Basketball area but anyone descent is leaving the city for prep schools

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
NS what great HS BBALL in Boston are they talking about??
Rich Basketball area but anyone descent is leaving the city for prep schools

No idea.

The idea that playing in Boston opens up any kind of recruiting ground was nuts.

Reaction Score
No idea.

The idea that playing in Boston opens up any kind of recruiting ground was nuts.

Good point, Shabazz, Adrien and Adams had no effect on our program. There are many good players from Eastern Mass.

But that is a secondary or tertiary benefit. The most important reason to play in Boston is to attract eyeballs to TV sets. To lift our profile in the #5 media market in the country.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Good point, Shabazz, Adrien and Adams had no effect on our program. There are many good players from Eastern Mass.

But that is a secondary or tertiary benefit. The most important reason to play in Boston is to attract eyeballs to TV sets. To lift our profile in the #5 media market in the country.
So people in Boston will say “oh this game is in Boston so I will watch it on TV”. Is that what you’re saying?

Reaction Score

You’re actually proving that they don’t need to play a random game in Boston once a year to get recruits from the area.

Reaction Score
You’re actually proving that they don’t need to play a random game in Boston once a year to get recruits from the area.
Read my post. Recruiting is a secondary benefit.

Lifting our profile and improving our brand is valuable. It's about marketing.

Reaction Score
Any early season non-conference game in Boston would be great. Northeastern, BU, BC, Harvard, whoever.

I don't quite understand how some people don't see the benefit from a brand expansion (and retention) perspective. We are already one of NYC's top college basketball draws, so why not focus on the largest market in New England next?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom