We should’ve won but overall it’s not terrible. | Page 6 | The Boneyard

We should’ve won but overall it’s not terrible.

Reaction Score
Makes or attempts alone don't determine the quality of the shooter.

If only we had a stat that took the two of them combined in order to give us a way to compare....
There is, it’s called 3 point percentage and Polley ranks 6th, not top 4 per your argument. I also disagree on make/attempt and quality of shooter. If he is so good then why can’t he shoot a lot more?

Reaction Score
The we can’t run an offense is BS , there are 2 teams on the floor and one is always playing defense. This game was lost because of horrible 3 point shooting, the lousy passes not withstanding, it’s as simple as that.

Reaction Score
There is, it’s called 3 point percentage and Polley ranks 6th, not top 4 per your argument. I also disagree on make/attempt and quality of shooter. If he is so good then why can’t he shoot a lot more?
So why point to total attempts and makes as if they mean more than percentage? I relied on the website for it's accuracy, you'll have to explain why it's my fault the website is wrong. He still should rank easily in the top 10 all time at UConn.

He doesn't shoot more because he's been a catch and shoot guy. Unlike Ben Gordon, or Shabazz, who also had great handles and could create their own shots.

Not sure if you've been watching UConn the past 5 years, but we haven't exactly had the offensive firepower we had when Rashad was playing with guys like Okafor, Gordon, Boone, Gay, Villanueva, Brown. Makes it tougher to get guys open shots when there's not 1 (never mind 2 or 3) guy that you have to plan for defensively. We also played at a MUCH slower pace while Polley has been here. Slower pace, fewer possessions, fewer shots for everyone. Lastly, he's missed nearly a full season due to injury and COVID cancellations.

You can move the goalposts, but all we've argued is that the argument that he isn't a good shooter is objectively false. Statistically, he's one of the 5-10 best we've ever had. There's nothing subjective about it.

Reaction Score
So why point to total attempts and makes as if they mean more than percentage? I relied on the website for it's accuracy, you'll have to explain why it's my fault the website is wrong. He still should rank easily in the top 10 all time at UConn.

He doesn't shoot more because he's been a catch and shoot guy. Unlike Ben Gordon, or Shabazz, who also had great handles and could create their own shots.

Not sure if you've been watching UConn the past 5 years, but we haven't exactly had the offensive firepower we had when Rashad was playing with guys like Okafor, Gordon, Boone, Gay, Villanueva, Brown. Makes it tougher to get guys open shots when there's not 1 (never mind 2 or 3) guy that you have to plan for defensively. We also played at a MUCH slower pace while Polley has been here. Slower pace, fewer possessions, fewer shots for everyone. Lastly, he's missed nearly a full season due to injury and COVID cancellations.

You can move the goalposts, but all we've argued is that the argument that he isn't a good shooter is objectively false. Statistically, he's one of the 5-10 best we've ever had. There's nothing subjective about it.

I’ll agree to disagree

Looking back at that list again, they left off a few others. Boat is 37.9% and Chris Smith is 40% for career avg. They need to update that

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
To say Polley isn't a good shooter is hilarious.

This is prime example of this board being laughably negative after a loss. Now Polley isnt a good shooter. Ignore the fact he damn near carried us to our best win of the season to date. Or that he's consistently a 40% three point shooter throughout his career. Forget all that and call the kid a bad shooter because he had a bad night. ZERO objectivity
against Auburn, MSU, VCU, and WVU good competition, not bottom 300 kenpom, he is 6-20 and those 6 were against Auburn.

2-7 UMES
2-8 LIU
0-6 COPP

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Gaffney's minutes need to be cut in half and those minutes need to be divided and given to Hawkins and Diggins.

He is an offensive black hole. He is not good at running the offense. It's his third year of this.

Reaction Score
I’ll agree to disagree

Looking back at that list again, they left off a few others. Boat is 37.9% and Chris Smith is 40% for career avg. They need to update that

People like you who choose to seem to have problems with a player are weird. Criticize the coach, he's the one getting paid millions and still can't manage to close out a game. It's not like the players aren't giving their all out there. If they have faults they have faults--it is what it is.

Reaction Score
People like you who choose to seem to have problems with a player are weird. Criticize the coach, he's the one getting paid millions and still can't manage to close out a game. It's not like the players aren't giving their all out there. If they have faults they have faults--it is what it is.

I like Polley and glad he’s here like I’ve said, but I don’t lump him in with our best career shooters to have come through here. Idc what his stats are, that is all I’m saying.

Reaction Score
I like Polley and glad he’s here like I’ve said, but I don’t lump him in with our best career shooters to have come through here. Idc what his stats are, that is all I’m saying.
Ah, now I get it! See, all this time we were thinking being a good shooter had something to do with how many of the player's shots actually go in the basket. That's where the disconnect was. Silly us. Our bad!

Reaction Score
Ah, now I get it! See, all this time we were thinking being a good shooter had something to do with how many of the player's shots actually go in the basket. That's where the disconnect was. Silly us. Our bad!

Losses really bring out the crazies on this board.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
What's the median vs mean on Polley? I think that's the issue here folks. His average is good but he has huge swings.

Reaction Score
What's the median vs mean on Polley? I think that's the issue here folks. His average is good but he has huge swings.
Mean is 37.2%, Median is 31% (Games 56 and 57 are 33% and 28.6%)

Reaction Score
I did some more digging on the Top 5-10 three point percentage argument since that Sports Reference leaders isn’t accurate. I’m sure I’m missing some more, but I drummed these guys up and somehow they were overlooked on that along with Bazz, Boat, and Smith

Niels Giffey - 42.1%
Phil Gamble - 40.6%
Doron Sheffer - 39.7%
Rudy Gay - 37.8% (only two seasons and smaller sample)
Marcus Williams - 37.5%
AJ Price - 36.5% (hit 158 3s in 3 seasons, Polley has 151 made on season 5, AJ is a better shooter imo)

Safe to say Polley isn’t top 10, sorry bub!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom