We need Samson back ASAP | Page 2 | The Boneyard

We need Samson back ASAP

Reaction Score
AK is struggling defensively. Badly. Its causing a domino effect thats hurting the teams defense which has not been good recently. That being said its not all on him because our guards also cant stop the dribble drive. Its either a score or a foul. It seems the only guy that doesnt get burned is Diarra. Everyone else its a blow by and teams know this because X, Prov and now Crayton has done it. luckily they stink this year because we`d be looking up at 3 Ls in a row. This team is not in a good place right now.

It’s pretty insane to say this team is “not in a good place right now.”

Most of this board was talking about this exact same Creighton lineup as if they were the Golden State Warriors two months ago. UConn is 15-2 and ranked 4th in the country and just beat the same team that most people on here were anointing as the best team in the league not that long ago. What exactly would a “good place” look like to you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
It’s such a tedious rehab process and one that is slowed or paused with any setback. It’s not like Dre’s finger, which they could get to a “good enough” state, tape it up, and throw him out there. Samson’s handled it well, but I don’t know if everyone appreciates how tough the mental part has been. He worked so hard over the summer and was ready- and then he has to sit and watch for months.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The improvement would have come over the offseason though. So a better question is have you ever seen anyone improve their BBIQ from freshman to sophomore year? Which is unquestionably a yes
Add to that, as I keep trying to remind people, that like Sanogo he’s an African kid who hasn’t played long. So he is likely to make greater leaps in understanding the game than a kid who has played it from childhood, just like Adama did.

Reaction Score
It’s such a tedious rehab process and one that is slowed or paused with any setback. It’s not like Dre’s finger, which they could get to a “good enough” state, tape it up, and throw him out there. Samson’s handled it well, but I don’t know if everyone appreciates how tough the mental part has been. He worked so hard over the summer and was ready- and then he has to sit and watch for months.
any idea on a timeline? Having him back for the Xavier game at home would be huge

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Hurley has said nothing lately on his return. Couple weeks ago it was very soon.
The thing is when Hurley is forced to give timelines they are not very accurate, but when you don't expect it that's when he will reappear in uniform.

Reaction Score
The thing is when Hurley is forced to give timelines they are not very accurate, but when you don't expect it that's when he will reappear in uniform.
Lots of expectation for him to help team on his return but I fear he will not give as much as we want him to. Been a big buildup.

Reaction Score
Lots of expectation for him to help team on his return but I fear he will not give as much as we want him to. Been a big buildup.
Agreed. I wonder if SJ starting was more of a function of Hurley not typically going to freshmen or if he indeed outplayed AK in practice. I know that AK was injured for a bit in the preseason, but I think it's certainly worth debating. By the time he comes back, he'll have missed so much time and opportunity for development that I fear he will be a liability. Given the rigors of the Big East, we may not have may opportunities to get him "match fit".

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Agreed. I wonder if SJ starting was more of a function of Hurley not typically going to freshmen or if he indeed outplayed AK in practice. I know that AK was injured for a bit in the preseason, but I think it's certainly worth debating. By the time he comes back, he'll have missed so much time and opportunity for development that I fear he will be a liability. Given the rigors of the Big East, we may not have may opportunities to get him "match fit".
I think it’s the same thing I’ve been saying all along. Fit.

Sanogo is going to be asked to hard hedge and guard bigs who can shoot on the perimeter. What is needed at the 4 when he’s in is rebounding and rim protection. On offense, Sanogo can go outside or inside, he is complemented by a guy who can throw entry passes over the D or score in the paint if Sanogo draws the center out. Plus they were teammates and can communicate in French.

Clingan is going to patrol the paint. He needs a 4 that can guard the perimeter on D, especially bigger shooters. On offense he‘s going to stay inside or screen. He needs a 4 that is a very good outside shooter, and a good passer to either shoot or move the ball when it comes back out. They are very complementary players, and AK can make entry passes and smart cuts to the basket to take advantage of DCs passing.

Reaction Score
Samson is like Bigfoot, you believe he's out there, somewhere, but there is no evidence. Every now and then there is a sighting or a press report. But nothing solid.

If and when he is seen on the court, that will be the time to believe. In the meantime, don't hold your breath. December, January, February, March. It's all a tease.

Reaction Score
No one here and probably even Hurley knows exactly what he will bring and how he will integrate at this point. It’s going to take games. Several games.

Reaction Score
Samson is like Bigfoot, you believe he's out there, somewhere, but there is no evidence. Every now and then there is a sighting or a press report. But nothing solid.

If and when he is seen on the court, that will be the time to believe. In the meantime, don't hold your breath. December, January, February, March. It's all a tease.
I think I saw him at Walmart, might have been with Elvis.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I think I saw him at Walmart, might have been with Elvis.
me too! and, get this, i was there to buy a bday card for him!
today was his birthday.. changed my mind tho, and i bought another box of gratitude cards instead, like this
c52883dd8410681893aadb9dbc304b67.jpg

i send thankyou cards. poeple seem to like them.

Reaction Score
Agreed. We can win without him. But having a 6’10 long forward to help on the boards, and play defense on scoring forwards would clear up a big weakness.
We need Sampson Johnson back because he'll be 5 foul buffer just in case Clingan and Sanogo get into foul trouble early in a critical game.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
We need Sampson Johnson back because he'll be 5 foul buffer just in case Clingan and Sanogo get into foul trouble early in a critical game.
Samson. And it’s unlikely that scenario ever happens.

Reaction Score
He'll help up front and hopefully prevent more rebounding deficits but he's not a guard. Our guards are not great shooters. That's an area that has needed improvement and it hasn't

Reaction Score
No. Johnson is an entirely different player than either of them. Freak athlete who can guard just about anyone if his BBIQ is improved. Much more limited offensively.

Here is the key "if". Again hope it has improved and I hope he's everything all of you want when he comes back, I'm rooting for the depth to grow. But compare a freshman Karaban on defense to a freshman Johnson last year it's not close. Karaban guards people Johnson lost people on D.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Hurley tends to value defense. Samson is better than Karaban in that regard. AK and SJ are complementary players. I'd like to see an even split between them with some of the mins coming from Alleyne.

Reaction Score
Here is the key "if". Again hope it has improved and I hope he's everything all of you want when he comes back, I'm rooting for the depth to grow. But compare a freshman Karaban on defense to a freshman Johnson last year it's not close. Karaban guards people Johnson lost people on D.

You are correct. I, for one, am not convinced that Johnson will be a contributor at this level. I know some people on this board don't want to here it (and I really hope I'm wrong)... but I worry he's going to end up on the Springs plan.

Reaction Score
THe big deal here is that there have been games recently where we had matchup problems at the 4 spot that hurt us bigtime and we just had nowhere else to go.

Karaban can't deal with "Big" 4s well because he has strength/length issues as a young player - He got cooked by Freemantle. And also struggles with mobility when asked to play the perimeter - he got cooked by Bryce Hopkins both spot up and off the bounce because he knew he was outmatched and couldn't close out hard.

In those bad matchups, we now have a potential answer in the toolkit for Hurley to turn to.

And for an opponent, its much harder to scout the rotation if you have to account for both a lob threat(johnson) and a sniper(karaban) as they cycle in and out of the game.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
More than anything, defensively it makes sense to have karaban and Clingan on the floor at the same time and SJ and Sanogo on the floor at the same time for rim protection and rebounding. Clingan helps with Karabans weakness and Johnson with Sanogos. Karaban and Sanogo at the same time is giving up rim protection and rebounding.

Reaction Score
Doesn't playing Clingan and Sanogo together do the same thing?
Samson is more athletic and able to defend the perimeter.

Karaban has been getting killed defensively. Issue with Clingan and Sanogo defensively is you out Sanogo on a mobile 4 where he will have to defend on perimeter. Easy way to get fouls.

Offensively, sanogo needs space to work. If you are going to ISO sanogo, where is Clingan going to go? You need a shooting 4 to make the double team pay.

Tbh, I don’t think Hurley likes the spacing offensively with double centers and he worries defensively about exposing sanogo.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom