We need a Dorka! | The Boneyard

We need a Dorka!

Reaction Score
I think that Q, Ice, Shade and Arnold will carry the day! They don’t appear to be intimidated… quick, play defense and can score… Not having Azzi or Caroline will not be the issue…Not having a solid post presence is the Achilles heel of this team. ( also, Paige has to remain healthy and play like the generational talent that she is…And, obviously, it’s lights out if we lose Paige..) The UCLA game will answer many questions..

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
When Yanna gets back, Ice can be our Dorka. I think Ice and Aaliyah should be on the floor at the same time, but without a third Big we can't take the chance of foul trouble. One solution would be for Amari to step up and take on that role, but unfortunately, I don't hold out much hope. If she wants to step up and help her team, now is the time.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I think if Amari's issue was whether or not "she wants to", she'd be somewhere else by now. I think you're hoping for a radioactive spider bite to think she's going to suddenly give major good minutes.

Reaction Score
Recruitment really missed the boat, when in the last two years we did not sign a 6'7" who could really play ball ....Look at last night and UCLA, they were big, and fast and had a 6-7 that could play the post.... look around and you'll see a terrific number of teams that have a gal of size that can play the post plus.... why were the Uconn signers sleeping and let these girls pass???
We are not going to get on stream till we get the two most inportant players on the starting five..point guard (we have) and a dominate post .(we do not have)....all others we are two deep....
In closing, I hoped ICE with her size-weight and jumping ability would fill the 6-7 gap..have not seen it YET...hopefully it's in the future mix...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Recruitment really missed the boat, when in the last two years we did not sign a 6'7" who could really play ball ....Look at last night and UCLA, they were big, and fast and had a 6-7 that could play the post.... look around and you'll see a terrific number of teams that have a gal of size that can play the post plus.... why were the Uconn signers sleeping and let these girls pass???
We are not going to get on stream till we get the two most inportant players on the starting five..point guard (we have) and a dominate post .(we do not have)....all others we are two deep....
In closing, I hoped ICE with her size-weight and jumping ability would fill the 6-7 gap..have not seen it YET...hopefully it's in the future mix...
How many 6-7 girls capable of playing elite-level basketball do you think there are?

26823316-D4D5-4689-B125-25731C46C9D0.jpeg

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Rebounding means more possessions for our team. But it's not really about height. It's more about mentality and effort. A player has to want to rebound and be aggressive about it. We can be out-sized and still when the boards battle if we put forth the effort.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We got Dorkas replacement it was Jana and shes out injured. So we have her for next season. Look at our injured players and tell me again that Geno isnt getting top players. Caroline (5) Azzi (1) Paige (1) Edwards (AA last season) Im frustrated to because I thought we were better then this and on paper we are. If we had a healthy Jana and Yanna to go with Aaliyah and Ice we would be better then pretty good and have alot of very talented height.

Reaction Score
When Yanna gets back, Ice can be our Dorka. I think Ice and Aaliyah should be on the floor at the same time, but without a third Big we can't take the chance of foul trouble. One solution would be for Amari to step up and take on that role, but unfortunately, I don't hold out much hope. If she wants to step up and help her team, now is the time.
So, you are saying that Ice is gonna be a first round draft choice Level of player? Maybe do, but oft times seems that dorka getss sold short because she wasn’t a too 3 Hoopgurlz prospect; “just” a proven top level college player. ( and proving herself in the W.

Everybody wants a Dorka.

Reaction Score
The Dorka comment made me think of how UConn has done well in the past and likely will this year. Yes, we had the all time greats in Maya, Diana, Rebecca, etc. but we surrounded them with players that took some of the pressure off. Looking at this year, we put Edwards out there for much of the game with no other big and few shooters, allowing the guards to clog the middle. This also reduced Huskies ability to drive, rebound, and develop a midrange offense, some of our normal strengths. Yes, we have had injuries, but I suspect Geno is looking to make the necessary changes rather than excuses.

Reaction Score
Yeah, big girls are few and far between! Big girls that fit into Geno’s requirements are even rarer! I would like to see Geno start taking one lower ranked big every couple of years and then train them up so we have at least an effective backup level player with some size on the roster! Someone like Ava Heiden who committed to Iowa, for example. She is 6’4”, solidly built and is someone who we likely could have signed. She perhaps would not have been a star but just imagine how nice it would be, to have her on the current roster! Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for the “Big Os” etc. but maybe get a lower ranked player as well that you can bring along slowly! It’s clear, in hindsight, that Geno should have bitten the bullet and played Amari for ten to twenty minutes a game in all the blowouts and surefire wins! If he had, perhaps she might be capable of some level of contribution now. Let’s remember, Stef could barely huff up and down the court when she first came, and just look at what she became! What I wouldn’t give to have her back in our lineup!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom