We look clueless. Is it coaching? | The Boneyard

We look clueless. Is it coaching?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Im sure the Germany trip than this trip and the double ot game has something to do with it. This isnt a talented NM team.

Reaction Score
very sloppy. Maybe Ollie needs to tighten the leash

Reaction Score
When you rely on guards, and you play double overtime, the next night is going to be rough. You might gut it out, but bet on the under.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I hope this isn't gonna be something you continue to do all season, your posts regarding the coaching after every half/game are annoying as and we're only 4 games in.
"Annoying as " is his "thing." Check out the cesspool sometime. He does more than any other poster to live down to that name.

Reaction Score
While the front court is not real good right now you may want to watch the backcourt guard people.....oh wait you can't because they haven't.....!!!

Reaction Score
It's not that the frontcourt's "not real good." Is the front court - and this is an honest question - as good as the average MAAC or Ivy frontcourt? I dont think so. That's kind of a handicap.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I don't get it -- is this thread a joke? He started a thread called "Fire Ollie" during the last game.

I do have to say Kevin is not calling timeouts when he needs to, but I agree with everyone else that our biggest problem is a personnel one.

Reaction Score
Despite the loss tonight I give Ollie an A for his first five games. Yeah, they looked terrible for the better part of that tournament, but they were about three or four stops away from winning it despite traveling over 10,000 miles in ten days and playing less than 22 hours after a double overtime dog fight. Let's not forget New Mexico was favored for 2.5 - Vegas knows what they're doing. Hopefully they return home with a little bit more pep in their step.

Reaction Score
The bottom line. We had the game 55-53 with two minutes left--with our defense and guards--we need to get the games like this. That quick 3 by the blonde haired kid(who was their MVP) which eliminated the lead just was not countered well by our team--from coach to last man on the bench.

Reaction Score
I know it's heresy on this board with the Ollie love fest and all but not only does he not call timeouts but we have Tyler Olander shooting threes for gods sake. What I saw tonight from our bigs with regards to taking long jump shots was simply inexplicable. How on earth does Tyler not take a seat after firing up a three? People keep talking about his great coaching and what I see is players out there doing whatever the hell they want. Eventually Shabazz decides hes going to take over and that's about it. Yeah we beat MSU but I'm willing to bet it's more a case of them playing a stinker of a game than it was what we were doing. We struggled against Wake we should have lost to QuinnaPEEac. This team is going to seriously struggle and that was expected but I still don't like what I see when it comes to shot selection. That neds to improve and Ollie is going to have to make it improve.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Despite the loss tonight I give Ollie an A for his first five games. Yeah, they looked terrible for the better part of that tournament, but they were about three or four stops away from winning it despite traveling over 10,000 miles in ten days and playing less than 22 hours after a double overtime dog fight.

Talk about an easy grader. An "A" despite looking "terrible for the better part of that tournament." In other words, an "A" despite "looking terrible" for the majority of the season.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Talk about an easy grader. An "A" despite looking "terrible for the better part of that tournament." In other words, an "A" despite "looking terrible" for the majority of the season.
Perhaps you'll prefer your hero's grading system:

Two exhibitions and five regular season games is a large enough sample size to start making evaluations, and Manuel — a guy who plays it pretty close to the vest — openly disclosed those thoughts. Put it this way: If Ollie was a fourth-grader receiving his quarterly progress report, he’d have a “check++” from Mr. Manuel. He might have even gotten a smiley face, too.
And the comments section (space permitting) would read: “I’m very, very proud,” Manuel said. “I’m very pleased with what I see….For the first four games, you couldn’t have written a better script for him. I’m proud of him.”

http://blog.ctnews.com/uconnbasketball/2012/11/20/progress-report-on-ollie-so-far-so-good/

Reaction Score
Wow, do people realize/remember that this is Ollie's first coaching experience? With experience comes better decision making, understanding and other things that make a good coach better. I would bet to say that the 'mistakes' he's made have been made by Bob Knight, Coach K, and even guys like Crean and Huggins. This in not the Ollie in five years.

With that said please keep things in perspective with our coach, its his first year of coaching.
Is he qualified? yes. Is he ready? yes. Is he respected? yes Is he experienced? no

I pray that he is not being compared to our last coach, or having the same expectations. The truth is that Ollie is not as good as Calhoun (and many others), the sooner fans accept that the more enjoyable this season will be. What we have is a Coach that has the makings of an great coach. He's on that journey, are we ten toes in with him?

Reaction Score
KO is 4-1 with a team without a quality big man. In fact, how many teams in the Big East would Olander start for? Probably none. I would tell him that when he takes his next 3 that's going to be his last start as a husky. Wolf and Nolan are projects who will get better as the season progresses, but we had nearly 21 feet of centers last night get 2 rebounds for an entire game. None of these guys has natural athletic ability or fierceness down low, so we have to deal with it, like it or not.

H

huskymagic

Ugly.

Yea Palatine it is ugly. Our guys are playing street ball, there is no system. Ollie doesn't have a strong enough personality for me to be the strong coach that a program like UCONN needs. Napier and Boatright have looked bad and sloppy forcing shots up at all times, not playing team basketball. The Wolf needs to play more, and less of Tyler Olander and Daniels. We have a big guy in Wolf where we can play inside out which will help Boatright, Napier, and Calhoun. Wolf is our best big, and he needs to start.

Reaction Score
All this thread needs is freescooter. Notice the haters kept their mouths shut for 2 straight weeks until last night.

Shows what kind of character they have.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
It is not the coaching at all. Look who transfered. The coaching staff is doing the best they can with what they have and I think they're doing a great job. We have to work on rebounding with who we have

Reaction Score
All this thread needs is freescooter. Notice the haters kept their mouths shut for 2 straight weeks until last night.

Shows what kind of character they have.

I'm seeing quite a few names posting that I haven't seen since the end of last season. Coincidence, I think not.

Reaction Score
I know it's heresy on this board with the Ollie love fest and all but not only does he not call timeouts but we have Tyler Olander shooting threes for gods sake. What I saw tonight from our bigs with regards to taking long jump shots was simply inexplicable. How on earth does Tyler not take a seat after firing up a three? People keep talking about his great coaching and what I see is players out there doing whatever the hell they want. Eventually Shabazz decides hes going to take over and that's about it. Yeah we beat MSU but I'm willing to bet it's more a case of them playing a stinker of a game than it was what we were doing. We struggled against Wake we should have lost to QuinnaPEEac. This team is going to seriously struggle and that was expected but I still don't like what I see when it comes to shot selection. That neds to improve and Ollie is going to have to make it improve.
I thought that there were more than enough timeouts (&^%$&^% tv), but agree there were a few times when JC would have used one. I'm OK letting TO take an OPEN 3. he can make them. I'm not OK with TO trying to play 1-on-1 against anyone that requires him to dribble. My biggest disappointment has been that every team we play has a player open for a 3 point shot, and they make them. We don't have open looks, and we can't shoot anyway it seems.

Reaction Score
Another quip about "we should have lost" from a guy who watched the game from his couch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom