We Have Until Saturday For Our Next Game- What Do We Need To Work On? | The Boneyard

We Have Until Saturday For Our Next Game- What Do We Need To Work On?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We have a stretch of 3 games coming up in a span of 5 days after this mini break. We need rest but we also are going to be working on several areas, to be sure, in our game. What do you think they will be? Here are mine:

1) Syncopation between Nika and the freshmen in passes. Always look for the ball and don't pass it unless there are eyes your way and it is not being forced.

2) Boxing out by everyone.

3) Switching by everyone on defense especially by the freshmen.

4) Movement in the half court offense.

5) Beating a full court or 3/4 court press.

These are my top team areas. What are yours for the team and/or individual players?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We had 3 players in double figure Paige Aaliyah and Nika We need more
We need to maintain our energy which means we need to have a bench that can come in and not miss a beat
Need to not rush or play to fast.
Give everybody some minutes. Especially Ines and Amari we may need them down the road.
Ines has an outside shot we could use that and Im sure she will make less then 6 turnovers a game and we have starters doing that
Amari is tall. We need tall. Some think its hopeless. I say give tell her she gonna get minutes and better respond.
We looked confident as a team tonite. Not everybody looked confident. That needs to change. To gain confidence you play to your strengths and the coaches tweak you.

Reaction Score
We had 3 players in double figure Paige Aaliyah and Nika We need more
We need to maintain our energy which means we need to have a bench that can come in and not miss a beat
Need to not rush or play to fast.
Give everybody some minutes. Especially Ines and Amari we may need them down the road.
Ines has an outside shot we could use that and Im sure she will make less then 6 turnovers a game and we have starters doing that
Amari is tall. We need tall. Some think its hopeless. I say give tell her she gonna get minutes and better respond.
We looked confident as a team tonite. Not everybody looked confident. That needs to change. To gain confidence you play to your strengths and the coaches tweak you.
Agree on Ines, and am optimistic about Amari. I’ve gone back and forth on her, but we need help.

Reaction Score
We have a stretch of 3 games coming up in a span of 5 days after this mini break. We need rest but we also are going to be working on several areas, to be sure, in our game. What do you think they will be? Here are mine:

1) Syncopation between Nika and the freshmen in passes. Always look for the ball and don't pass it unless there are eyes your way and it is not being forced.

These are my top team areas. What are yours for the team and/or individual players?
It is frustrating to look so helpless in the rebounding game. Sometimes, UNC had three and four possessions in one. If they had better shooters, the game might have turned around. I assume the lack of a running game, and fast breaks, is due to our rebounding malaise. Our offense looks mostly lost. Edwards is not handling passes, Ash is looking somewhere else when Nikka passes to her. And it is a fight to get any kind of an outside shot. So, we need to work on an offense. We also need to get Ice Brady into form. We aren't going to do anything if Ice and Q rarely play. Six players wont survive the rigors of the game at this level. Yikes.

Reaction Score
1--- The team's offense runs smoothly enough so Paige and Aaliyah to be unstoppable. That's what I think needs to be worked on. Not just individual moves but plays within the Offense. Then you know the Offense of motion is doing well.
2-- Running the offense with few turnovers in which UCONN will always have at least a 3rd scorer game in and game out.

3-- Don't panic and play undeserving bench players. Continue to play to win rather than worry about a future opponent. That''s a basic thing as fans and players we say. Let's stick to that rather than worry about "South Carolina." And play the deserving players (from Practices). If it is 6 players - so be it. If it is 10 so be it. But I don't want to see panic and throw away fundamentals and not play better players just because of physical characteristics or wanting everyone to get a trophy. Bottomline is that what I want to see and what needs to continue to be done is that Geno plays the best players that he thinks that can win the game at hand rather than being desperate because he feels his player's aren't good enough.

4-- A third player to step and be dynamic. I'd like to see UCONN work on finding that 3rd player.

Reaction Score
1. Make layups. 2 players missed 8 between the two.
2. Box out and rebound
3. Get the ball more to Ashlynn when she's open. She's being missed a lot.
Agree 100%, I would only add outlet passes and foul shooting. Going 8 of 13 in a close game is not going to bring a smile to Geno and CD. Some good things I saw……..Paige with 4 blocks, just wow…….and Nika hitting 4 three’s. Nika is tired by the 2nd half, maybe give more of her minutes to KK and Ashlyn. Definitely get the ball more to Ashlyn, when she squares up she’s almost automatic, and she’s a better defender than people give her credit for.

Reaction Score
Jump. I don't see too many female players jump. Paige is the only one who consistently jumps on the team. The reason how she got 4 blocks. Most of the times everyone else is flat footed.

As others, box out. More so, box your opponent out wherever they are, outside, inside, etc. Find a body, put your backside to them, and move them out. Boxing out in the paint isn't going to work if you're 6' and your opponent is 6'5" with long arms, and you don't JUMP. (See the above.)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Jump. I don't see too many female players jump. Paige is the only one who consistently jumps on the team. The reason how she got 4 blocks. Most of the times everyone else is flat footed.

As others, box out. More so, box your opponent out wherever they are, outside, inside, etc. Find a body, put your backside to them, and move them out. Boxing out in the paint isn't going to work if you're 6' and your opponent is 6'5" with long arms, and you don't JUMP. (See the above.)

From the UConn Blog. The woman with the red extensions (hair) is 6-3 or 6-4

3E65151C-CAD6-4793-B85A-335F6B5D25CC.jpeg

79886920-8510-42D9-9D2B-B8960B7B295A.jpeg

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

7070FCE8-29C6-4742-BC6B-43B5963C279A.jpeg
FE6EED76-02AC-4AA9-90F9-FBE40D18206D.jpeg

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
KK needs to get comfortable shooting the ball, much like her fellow freshmen Ashlynn & Quadence have done. KK’s defense, ball handling and ability to get to the basket are excellent. We know KK is a capable shooter, particularly from midrange. She just needs to settle in, knock down a few shots and gain confidence.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

Syncopation between Nika and the freshmen in passes? I'm a professional musician. Syncopation is not the term to use.

Syncopation is a musical term. The definition is the practice of displacing the beats or accents in music so that the strong beats become weak. I doubt that is what you mean.

Nika and the freshmen need to be in sync with the passes.

Reaction Score
We should have a heavy focused on How to incorporate the use of Amari and Ice and run a clean offense with them on the court. Our initial defense which is pretty good but means nothing if you can't defensively control the glass. Teams are double digit possessions against us. I'll take good defense over bad offense at this point of the season.

We also need to work on actually setting good picks. We are awful screen setting team.

KK, spend the week on finishing moves at the basket and midrange Pull up. The Pull up game would make you unstoppable. (Ronnie Harmon)

Lastly screen and roll offense with Paige and Aaliyah. Make the Lauren Betts of the world actually have to defend verses sitting in the paint being a nuisance.

Reaction Score
Syncopation between Nika and the freshmen in passes? I'm a professional musician. Syncopation is not the term to use.

Syncopation is a musical term. The definition is the practice of displacing the beats or accents in music so that the strong beats become weak. I doubt that is what you mean.

But could you imagine how jazzy it'd be if they got their syncopation synchronized?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Or synchronicity?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Sounds like a beautiful tune….;)

Reaction Score
How about some pictures on the defensive end? One where the ball lands on the floor in the middle of all 5 players boxing out their opponents would be nice. From prior posters, rebounding and defense is an attitude - see Dennis Rodman. Again, I say, Paige is the only one on the team (and Aubrey here and there) who consistently jumps, offensively and defensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom